Is it possible to make a CCS to CHAdeMO adapter?

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
hwthomas

Re: Is it possible to make a CCS to CHAdeMO adapter?

Post by hwthomas »

@explorer232 : Are you planning on open-sourcing the Blender/stl files for your converter plug/socket? I'm interested in going down that route, based on a Raspberry Pi4b, AR7420, and Waveshare RS485/CAN HAT to talk to a Nissan Leaf 62kWh (2001 model).

My initial thought would be to build the plug/socket unit, minus the HV connections, to test out the HomePlug and CAN-bus comms, so being able to build this cheaply would be a good start.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

hwthomas wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:08 pm based on a Raspberry Pi4b, AR7420, and Waveshare RS485/CAN HAT to talk to a Nissan Leaf 62kWh (2001 model).
You might want to opt for this one. That way you don't have boot time and lower power consumption
viewtopic.php?t=3727&start=225
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
quentin42

Post by quentin42 »

Hello,

I'm very excited about this project, and I'm getting started.

In order to make a CCS to chademo adapter (leaf 2022), I started an assembly based on raspberry 4 + TPLink 4015 + WaveShare CAN hat + LCD2004 display.

I'm trying to get the battery voltage with an ODB bluetooth dongle, but I'm not successful.
But with leafspy it works.

So maybe by using the remote web server function I will be able to take the voltage.
The PROBLEM is that OBD goes to sleep after about 30s.

So, I see two "solutions":
- Use the leafspyVoltage just for the precharging, and then for Charging, use EVSEVoltage?
- Try to close the contactors and take a real measurement (with DierterHV?) ?

What do you think ?

Thank you and congratulations to all.
explorer232

Post by explorer232 »

hwthomas wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:08 pm @explorer232 : Are you planning on open-sourcing the Blender/stl files for your converter plug/socket? I'm interested in going down that route, based on a Raspberry Pi4b, AR7420, and Waveshare RS485/CAN HAT to talk to a Nissan Leaf 62kWh (2001 model).

My initial thought would be to build the plug/socket unit, minus the HV connections, to test out the HomePlug and CAN-bus comms, so being able to build this cheaply would be a good start.
Hi,
yes it will be open-sourced.
At the moment I am waiting to CCS combo socket from ali to test my design and I am working on chademo shield for foccci board.
I hope that PIN 7 on the chademo plug (car side) is sufficient to powering this converter.
Attachments
foccci_shield.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

explorer232 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:10 am I hope that PIN 7 on the chademo plug (car side) is sufficient to powering this converter.
Hmm, you won't be closing the vehicle contactors with the maybe 10 mA on the conn check pin. Will need some external 12V supply.
I use focci as-is with CHAdeMO (see QCA7000 thread) with 12V supply from vehicle"cigarette lighter" output
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
quentin42

Post by quentin42 »

johu wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:59 pm Hmm, you won't be closing the vehicle contactors with the maybe 10 mA on the conn check pin. Will need some external 12V supply.
I use focci as-is with CHAdeMO (see QCA7000 thread) with 12V supply from vehicle"cigarette lighter" output
@Johu
Hello,
It only works on your Touran, right? :(
How can we get the famous batteryVoltage so that it works on all cars?

Can we, in first, close the contactors to get voltage battery, and then close ?
explorer232

Post by explorer232 »

johu wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:59 pm Hmm, you won't be closing the vehicle contactors with the maybe 10 mA on the conn check pin. Will need some external 12V supply.
Oh, I see it now on better chademo diagram. There is optocoupler with resistor :( But I need to power converter direct from socket :( or from internal battery. But how is working V2H inverter? Its powered from car.

Your design is a bit different. You are using direct connection to ev can instead of chademo can ??? My "chademo shield" have another atmel sam arm with dual can and I am implementing complete chademo charging protocol. There are power switches to control D1, D2, lock.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

quentin42 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:20 pm It only works on your Touran, right? :(
How can we get the famous batteryVoltage so that it works on all cars?

Can we, in first, close the contactors to get voltage battery, and then close ?
Yes only on Touran which smuggles battery voltage into the 0x108 message on request. Alternatives have been discussed on this thread, please read all of it.
explorer232 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:29 am Your design is a bit different. You are using direct connection to ev can instead of chademo can ??? My "chademo shield" have another atmel sam arm with dual can and I am implementing complete chademo charging protocol. There are power switches to control D1, D2, lock.
I don't think it's different, focccis CAN is connected to CHAdeMO CAN and focccis relay driver output to CHAdeMO relay input. 12V is permanently on. I do ignore the CHAdeMO enable output however and only rely on CAN.
explorer232

Post by explorer232 »

johu wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:03 am Yes only on Touran which smuggles battery voltage into the 0x108 message on request. Alternatives have been discussed on this thread, please read all of it.

I don't think it's different, focccis CAN is connected to CHAdeMO CAN and focccis relay driver output to CHAdeMO relay input. 12V is permanently on. I do ignore the CHAdeMO enable output however and only rely on CAN.
I understand but I want implement complete chademo protocol without faults in DTC memory of my LEAF so chademo shield for foccci is my first step.

I am looking for V2H protocol to ensure 12v power supply from leaf chademo socket.
BillAinCT

Post by BillAinCT »

FYi: https://a2zevshop.com/products/dc-ccs1- ... -125a-500v

Coming soon is the question. How soon?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Probably waiting for us to finish the open source implementation ;)
SausageMcGregory

Post by SausageMcGregory »

Further updates, still not working....

Update #3 @ 15/12/2023 Probably made a mistake myself with the external batteries, one of the cables probably 'slipped' in the welding clamp so it wasn't exactly 'on' during some of the testing. There is a led inside which you normally can't even see with which to check if the 12v is working, but it's in such an awkward position under the charging hood, i didn't notice it wasn't on. Anyway, with the latest software and the 12v 100% surely working, it sstill failed at the same point still. Only felt that the SOC may have been correct this time. Getting close.......

Update #2 @ 15/12/2023 Progress continues, but the manufacturer now thinks the little battery inside is not enough and their working prototype has 2 of the 3.7v batteries inside. Still strange that it still somehow doesn't work with an external 12.8v LFP battery attached. The inconsistencies might be because of me or that some soldering might have come loose. Got software update #12 now, will go within the hour for a last test today. Then i probably get a response during the night and tomorrow another few tests if they work on a saturday. I hope i didn't do something wrong with the soldering, i did check it afterwards, but still.....fingers crossed.

Update 15/12/2023 Progress continues, soc still gets translated a bit odd, but it's now closer (45% vs ~75%), also the communication error on the charging station comes a good full second áfter display the soc on the charger. Got av video of a brand new leaf with a portable ccs charger with this adapter, and they got it working. Getting closer and closer. Will test again in an hour.

Update #3 @ 14/12/2023 Progress continued with a late night test with the latest firmware. It now got consistently to the same point, showing a faulty soc (13% instead of ~80%) before not charging. Earlier in the day it only went there the first time and was all over the place, so, from my perspective, this consistency is already a major step forward. It looks promising to have the first succesfull charging session before monday. I did forget my charging card, so i had to activate the charging station through the shell recharge app. I really hope it's not what (also) makes a difference, but come to think of it, activating the charger felt faster through the app, then manually holding the card to the rfid reader.

Update #2 @ 14/12/2023 Promising progress, but a bit inconsistent results. Seems like the fix is in timing issues so have to do a lot of tries. I did manage to get a battery soc on the charging station, but it was a bit wrong. Hopefully a couple more tries and upate over the days and we should have a succesfull charging session soon.

Update 14/12/2023 Promising progress. No longer a time out just before the charging session should start, i hear the charging station 'engaging' but then it quits. Precharge was succesfull. Manufacturer thinks something with timing in the software might be able to solve it. Hopefully today a 2nd attempt.

Update 13/12/2023 Manufacturer came with another (possible) solution, had to short circuit 2 tiny components on the chademo side, will test tomorrow around noon. Will have to test with the external 12v, the first added resistor and the latest fix. Manufacturer seems more sure then ever. Who knows, best case scenario; it works, worst case scenario, my car doesn't. 😃

Update 12/12/2023 Unfortunately with an external lifepo4 12.8v battery exact same result. It gets in an infinite loop on the adapter just before the actual charging should start, just like last times. I hope i can get some good news soon. It's too bad the ccs charger just gives the most generic error..... //adendum. So the manufacturer has aranged a chademo car, but he can only test it with another adapter. Not sure how useful this will be, I'm trying to convince to somehow show more debugging information. If the tests with the chademo car in China won't lead to further insights, I will press them on it.

Update 11/12/2023 Unfortunately with the usb C cable providing some additional power, the problem remains the same. A bit dissapointing obviously, but manufacturer will look for a chademo car in hong kong. I'll try to figure out some things, but i'm also busy with a huge renovation (cmplete rebuilt) of my house, so it won't be fast. Too bad it can't be fixed with a firmware, for now, i'll try to attach it to the car battery somehow to test if does work then. Fingers crossed.

Update 10/12/2023 4th & 5th test after firmware upgrade. They/we get the feeling that the 12V signal isn't strong enough or at least that the internal battery isn't big enough to handle the 5V can signal ánd the 12V signal. Will have to try again with extra usb c cable for a little bit of extra power.

Update #2 @ 9/12/2023 3rd test after small software/firmware upgrade, failed at nearly the same point also but got different data. Hoping for a 4th test in the coming days.

Update 9/12/2023, 2nd test with the added resistor, pretty much the same issue. "b2801-29 08 charger q/chg activitaion sig err vc-52" error from leafspy. So the car 'recognizes' with the 'click' sound that the adapter has been put in, ccs side can communicate with charger. From comparing the output data, issue is still the same for now. Will keep you updated.
SausageMcGregory

It's working!

Update 16/12/2023 I got multiple session working, although the soc data is really weird. Not sure if something wrong with my car,because nothing makes sense. Charging went slower and slower, dashboard gives full bars and full range, the little display on the right says 92%, leafspy says 88% and the kwh was 16.7kwh for a 24kwh 80%soh battery. Well at least i have zero worries that the adapter might cause some damage since the car simply controls what it gets. I did clear dtc's beforehand, longest session was close to 20 minutes. It was a ABB charger from Vattenfall at a mcdonalds parking lot. I really hope other chargers are that much different.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Did you take any videos? This thing would be awesome to see in action
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
SausageMcGregory

Video will be coming hopefully later today!
410975754_6779762028759987_3495591418563287195_n.jpg
Attachments
410975754_6779762028759987_3495591418563287195_n.jpg
410975754_6779762028759987_3495591418563287195_n.jpg (5.43 KiB) Viewed 10714 times
SausageMcGregory

Further updates from Dala...Great news regarding this adapter and its functionality.
Quilaa

Post by Quilaa »

If this works, will it work on any CHAdeMO car, like my 2020 LEAF SE+, or do they have different communications? I don't have the tech knowledge of you guys, but I kept seeing comments about getting sufficient 12v power: I didn't understand why one would not use the 12v battery in the car...or is that only a Leaf thing?
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

Yes, the 12V battery from the car can used to power the adaptor if it is designed in this way, like johus prototype. The chinese variant prefers internal battery, which also is a possibility.
If fully finished, it should work on any chademo car. But nobody knows, how complete the Implementation of the chinese variant is at the moment.
SausageMcGregory

The CCS to Chademo adapter in this video can be purchased from here:
h[url]ttps://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/CCS2-TO- ... 5c0doMJvio[/url]

from "Dongguan Longood Technology Co., Ltd."
asavage

Post by asavage »

Dala demos the CCS2 version.

And the CCS1 version, from the same company and at the same price, is also available.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Custom-CCS1-TO-CHAdeMO-adapter-DC_1600909599359.html
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
f0ld

Post by f0ld »

Boriszh wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:12 pm Yes, we have the production. Please contact me if you need. Boris@longoodint.com
Since this is now in production just a quick question out of curiosity:

Did you guys use any of the software (for example pyPLC, ccs32clara, etc...) as a starting point for your implementation or did you do a complete blank sheet ccs and chademo implementation?
Plasma cutter solves all my problems.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Trying to bring a CCS Retrofit to a Renault Zoe.

Github |
pemtek

Post by pemtek »

I want the opposite, I have 5 x chademo 50kw dbt chargers that are Chademo only. Maybe next winters project.

If anyone seriously wants to have a go at making the reverse of this they can have one of these dbt units.

Phil