Is it possible to make a CCS to CHAdeMO adapter?

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
hwthomas

Re: Is it possible to make a CCS to CHAdeMO adapter?

Post by hwthomas »

@WladKo : thanks for those links - I've not had any success so far with CHAdeMO plug suppliers, so I'll look into those.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

My latest wood work incarnation of CCS to CHAdeMO

Maybe one way of using this with a Nissan Leaf would be a little CAN bridge that grabs battery voltage from the BMS from PT-CAN and outputs it into a special message on CHAdeMO CAN
Attachments
1695287912191.jpg
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Battery voltage is available on OBD2 on the Leaf, right? How about a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter, and just make that woodwork thing read the values over bluetooth?
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

Wow, this sounds like a great idea.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Yeah, that should so. Just some USB Bluetooth dongle on BeagleBone needed then. And knowing how to read something
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Pew

Post by Pew »

Hello
I've been searching for an adapter like this as I recently got my 2023 Outlander PHEV. Here in Western Australia the government is rolling out EV chargers without CHAdeMO support, while still collecting tax off CHAdeMO users, but I digress. I've had no luck in getting any replies from any government worker on this matter so either they know they've stuffed up and succumb to vested interests or they just don't care.

So it looks like a CCS2 to CHAdeMO adapter is what I need. Initially I was looking at putting a type 2 cable on one of those 10kw portable SETEC chargers but it's a lot of money for marginal charge rate.

I'm not sure if it's useful, or even a real product but in my travels I found this. It appears the rendering is wrong, it seems they have two plugs on the adapter, but the text does say "Use for connect the charging cable on a CCS2 charging station to a CHAdeMO vehicle that has been enabled for DC charging."

Talking to their sales team they say the unit is in production and is expected to be mass produced by the end of the year. Again, I have no idea if this is true or not or if the product even works.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006 ... h%21AU%210

However they do have a correct render for a CCS1 to CHAdeMo connector and an actual product for a CCS2 to GBT for what it's worth. While pricy, hopefully it is true and the answer to my charging problems.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

The pricing (3100€) is a good motivation for DIY ;)
SC8198

Post by SC8198 »

johu wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:20 am My latest wood work incarnation of CCS to CHAdeMO

Maybe one way of using this with a Nissan Leaf would be a little CAN bridge that grabs battery voltage from the BMS from PT-CAN and outputs it into a special message on CHAdeMO CAN
Do you have a tutorial or instructions on how you built this?
explorer232

Post by explorer232 »

here is my chademo plug twin :)

I am working on ccs (car) to chademo (charger) adapter. I am planning use foccci board for ccs side and my developed hardware for chademo (charger) side.
Attachments
IMG_20221023_172754266.jpg
IMG_20221023_172825172.jpg
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

Did not understand which variant you are planning. Charging a CCS car on a ChaDeMo charger? Or the other way around, like Johus Touran adaptor?
explorer232

Post by explorer232 »

uhi22 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:31 pm Did not understand which variant you are planning. Charging a CCS car on a ChaDeMo charger? Or the other way around, like Johus Touran adaptor?
Sorry, on the picture is diy chademo male connector so its for charging Nissan Leaf from ccs charger - CCS(car side) to chademo (charger side) adaptor
explorer232

Post by explorer232 »

johu wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:18 am The pricing (3100€) is a good motivation for DIY ;)
There was some actualisation on the aliexpress page for this adapter :D

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005006010691384.html

Its joke :D Check chademo connector, my diy version is PRO compare to this :D
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 09-22-03 2310.72€ DC Fast EV Charging Adaptor CCS2 to CHAdeMO Adaptor CCS 2 to CHAdeMO EV Charger Adapter - AliExpress.png
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

You've bought the ali adaptor? What's inside and does it actually work?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
explorer232

Post by explorer232 »

Bigpie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:48 am You've bought the ali adaptor? What's inside and does it actually work?
No I am working on diy version of this adapter. This image is from ali seller. But as you can see ali adapter is diy for 3000 euro :D
explorer232

Post by explorer232 »

First attemp to design adaptor case for standard ccs socket from ali.
Attachments
ccs_chademo_case_v1.jpg
ccs_socket_preview.jpg
explorer232

Post by explorer232 »

*Added ccs lock (Socket Actuator Uchen DSIEC-ELM ) to design
Attachments
uchen_DSIEC-ELM.jpg
ccs_chademo_case_v1.1.jpg
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

To reduce the bending moment on the ChaDeMo connector, I would suggest an angled connector 20 to 30 degrees instead of the straight line, so that the electronics, the CCS socket and the CCS connector is located below the center line of the ChaDeMo.
mhpev

Post by mhpev »

This is very interesting. I've a friend who has an old Nissan leaf and was worried in future as chargers move away from Chademo to NACS/CCS in US - this type of adapter come very handy. Would be interested to understand the conversion from CCS/greenPHY/IP to CAN/SWCAN based comm. I understand @Johu has done it but couldn't understand how. Not sure if his codebase is on github/open source...
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

mhpev wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:34 pm This is very interesting. I've a friend who has an old Nissan leaf and was worried in future as chargers move away from Chademo to NACS/CCS in US - this type of adapter come very handy. Would be interested to understand the conversion from CCS/greenPHY/IP to CAN/SWCAN based comm. I understand @Johu has done it but couldn't understand how. Not sure if his codebase is on github/open source...
I think there'll likely be a new/growing market for conversion kits, both to CCS and directly to NACS, for Leaves and for CCS cars to NACS. This project does look like a good intermediate step.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

mhpev wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:34 pm Would be interested to understand the conversion from CCS/greenPHY/IP to CAN/SWCAN based comm. I understand @Johu has done it but couldn't understand how. Not sure if his codebase is on github/open source...
Yes it is: pyPLC on a Beaglebone Linux board. Johannes published two videos on youtube, e.g. https://youtu.be/tfCaqdUFx3Q?si=tfWmNJBDAkZocbw8
explorer232

Post by explorer232 »

uhi22 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:18 pm To reduce the bending moment on the ChaDeMo connector, I would suggest an angled connector 20 to 30 degrees instead of the straight line, so that the electronics, the CCS socket and the CCS connector is located below the center line of the ChaDeMo.
Thanks for your tip. Fixed
Attachments
ccs_chademo_case_v1.2.jpg
SausageMcGregory

Post by SausageMcGregory »

Interesting video From 'Dala EV Repair' who has his own EV chanel on youtube. His proof of concept uses an i3 CCS port. Worth a look!

SausageMcGregory

Post by SausageMcGregory »

Files and information for building a 3D printed CHAdeMO plug, may be useful :

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:121581
jani75

Post by jani75 »

The CCS Side is now well documented. But what about the Chademo side.
I'm also working on my Leaf CCS Adapter. I try to replicate Johannes Idea. But at the moment there is no documentation how he simulated the Chademo Charging station and how he connected the signaling wires to his Beaglebone Gpio and how he programmed the Gpios. I hope we get new information about this in the future.
Boriszh

Post by Boriszh »

johnr wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:10 am I have gotten many requests for a CCS adapter from owners of vehicles with CHAdeMO ports. Since we're moving toward CCS adoption and there are getting to be more CCS chargers than CHAdeMO, this is a highly requested need. I always tell them such an adapter is not feasible to make because the two standards are so different. My understanding is that a microcontroller with some custom firmware would be needed to translate the signals in real-time and ensure the operational parameters are kept in check - but that's what you all do, right? :P Looking forward to discussing. If it's feasible, let's do it!
Yes, we have the production. Please contact me if you need. Boris@longoodint.com