Lexus GS450H VCU Support Thread

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Lexus GS450H VCU Support Thread

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

slow67 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:23 pm Question everyone. Can we assume all GS450h motors are all timed the same from the factory (Toyota equivalent to syncofs)? Otherwise each inverter would have to be configured for the right timing for each transmission.
We've spun up two GS450H CVT's with a number of different inverters... they 'just work'.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

xp677 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:11 am
Dilbert wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:32 pm Is there an stl file or cad model available for this cover?
Not yet, still being prototyped. I've gone through 3 versions now, next one printing tomorrow, should be the final version (fingers crossed)
Thank you, great work!
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Very good, sounds like progress.

I want to do up some CAD drawings for the brass/copper which will sit inside. I used 12mm copper stock and drilled out the inside on the lathe to 7mm, I believe the bolt into the busbar is M6, so probably could of drilled them 6.5mm. With 12mm stock with a 7mm hole, has the effective CSA is 78sq mm (ignoring the bolt, which even if it is steel will increase the CSA a good bit).
arturk

Post by arturk »

Smack ten wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:21 pm I purchased and built a v2 vcu for the GS450h inverter. Could someone please tell me whether I need to provide 12v constant power to the board when flashing firmware to it? Or do I just simply connect the board to my pc via the onboard usb jack? If someone could provide instructions for flashing firmware to a new vcu, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
You do not need 12V to program controller board.
Just plug in through USB jack.
If chip on your board is blank it will be detected as "Bossa Program Port".
If your chip is programmed already then it will be detected as "Arduino Due".
Either way select "Native USB Port" in Arduino IDE
Attachments
Blank_SAM3X8_Arduino_Due.png
Blank_SAM3X8_Arduino_Due.png (2.09 KiB) Viewed 50815 times
Blank_SAM3X8_Bossa_Program_Port.png
Blank_SAM3X8_Bossa_Program_Port.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 50815 times
1998 Jaguar XJR, GS450h drivetrain, 48kWh/96s BMW battery
arturk

Post by arturk »

Smack ten wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:36 pm If I am reading this thread and the wiki page correctly, it seems that the Camry inverters can be used to run the gs450h transmission. Is this assumption correct? Or incorrect?
Camry inverter can be used to run gs450h if we can controll it. So far I was having mixed result as far as controlling it reliably using our VCU.
I tried it several weeks ago and behavior was not very consistent. I am not sure is I have faulty inverter or it there was some problem with my wire harness. I gave up for time being and got gs450h inverter which works fine. Since then I made a lot of changes in my system and I am going to try Camry inverter again soon.
1998 Jaguar XJR, GS450h drivetrain, 48kWh/96s BMW battery
steveknox

Post by steveknox »

Does anyone have the pinout for the resolvers? I'm using my 450h to test another inverter (it's the only motor i have currently). So i need the resolver pinouts. I'm sure it would be beneficial on the wiki too.

Thanks,
Steve
PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

steveknox wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:40 pm Does anyone have the pinout for the resolvers? I'm using my 450h to test another inverter (it's the only motor i have currently). So i need the resolver pinouts. I'm sure it would be beneficial on the wiki too.

Thanks,
Steve
Do the two connectors out of the motors at the bottom of this diagram in the Wiki have the pin numbers you're looking for? You might have to save the file then zoom in, my old eyes needed to do that!

https://openinverter.org/wiki/images/a/ab/Inverter.png
Geoff

Is this smoke trying to tell me something ... :twisted:
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Dilbert wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:09 pm Very good, sounds like progress.

I want to do up some CAD drawings for the brass/copper which will sit inside. I used 12mm copper stock and drilled out the inside on the lathe to 7mm, I believe the bolt into the busbar is M6, so probably could of drilled them 6.5mm. With 12mm stock with a 7mm hole, has the effective CSA is 78sq mm (ignoring the bolt, which even if it is steel will increase the CSA a good bit).
I've changed the housing to accept a 16mm round bar. This is a more complete fit with the inverter dc links and the crimp terminals. Cost increase is negligable. I used a 1/4" hole to give a bit of clearance for the bolt, I never measured the holes in the other parts but likely they are around 6.5mm so no need to go to 7mm. Lengths TBC, I have just made a change to the dimensions to the housing which reduces the length of the bar by a few mm.

You're correct that 12mm bar will have enough capacity - I did the calcs for this before and it was fine. My housing is only specced for 50mm cable.

One worry is the void in the bars inside the inverter, one of them has a large square relief which will limit current capacity to the IGBTs. I haven't calculated this yet, worst case we can maybe add a copper ring to this to pack it out.

Shouldn't need CAD for the bars, its just round stock with a hole, cut to length. I'll get those lengths to you later this week once we have cut them down. I've changed the housing slightly so that they protrude a bit, to guarantee that all the clamping force of the bolt goes onto the bar.

I'll also be able to get spec on the two M6 bolt lengths as well.
Alexstarex

Post by Alexstarex »

Is this spare part needed?
Attachments
1567003976178_default.jpg
windydrew

Post by windydrew »

Just purchased a good condition 2008 GS450H that has a battery fault. I plan to convert to EV by selling off the engine first to fund batteries. Will I be able to just plug in this board and drive away without the engine or is there going to be a lot of faults stopping me from doing that. I'm anxious awaiting Damien's build to see what happens. Wonder if I can join the class remotely as I'm off work for 3 weeks because of COVID19.
steveknox

Post by steveknox »

PacEmaker wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:21 pm
steveknox wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:40 pm Does anyone have the pinout for the resolvers? I'm using my 450h to test another inverter (it's the only motor i have currently). So i need the resolver pinouts. I'm sure it would be beneficial on the wiki too.

Thanks,
Steve
Do the two connectors out of the motors at the bottom of this diagram in the Wiki have the pin numbers you're looking for? You might have to save the file then zoom in, my old eyes needed to do that!

https://openinverter.org/wiki/images/a/ab/Inverter.png
Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure I can see what I need. Or perhaps i'm asking the wrong question!
I currently don't have the wiring harness from the resolvers to the inverter, but that's a problem from another day.

(Incidentally, i reckon a lot of people don't have this, so do we know what the connector part numbers are?)

So what I'm looking for is to identify the pins of the resolvers on the transmission, so I can temporarily wire them up to my home-made inverter.
Please forgive my ignorance & lack of clarity!
Steve
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

The thread on the GS450h gearbox connections has all the info you need. Auto-click in the UK has required connectors. You can also buy the other connector from them too.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=271&start=10
steveknox

Post by steveknox »

Dilbert wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:04 pm The thread on the GS450h gearbox connections has all the info you need. Auto-click in the UK has required connectors. You can also buy the other connector from them too.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=271&start=10
Superstar. Thanks!
slow67

Post by slow67 »

Question, for those with partially built boards, is it designed for Molex 34830-2001 and 34830-2002 ? What housing has been used for the VCU?
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

Look for Cinch 581-01-40-011 , Automotive Connectors MODICE ME-MX 40 POSITION

https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/c ... trycode=us
slow67

Post by slow67 »

Sloth wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:34 pm Look for Cinch 581-01-40-011 , Automotive Connectors MODICE ME-MX 40 POSITION

https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/c ... trycode=us
Thanks. I just found that in the chademo thread just as you posted!
slow67

Post by slow67 »

Damien, can you post the ISA.h library in your GitHub?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

No as they do not belong to me.
http://media3.ev-tv.me/ISA.zip
I'm going to need a hacksaw
slow67

Post by slow67 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:21 am No as they do not belong to me.
Ah! Thanks Damien!
slow67

Post by slow67 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:21 am No as they do not belong to me.
I'm still getting an error compiling. ISA.cpp references #include <ISA2.h>, is this a mistake and should be #include <ISA.h>? Or am I still missing a library?
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Why not try changing the potential mistake and going again?
slow67

Post by slow67 »

xp677 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:10 pm Why not try changing the potential mistake and going again?
I did that, and it compiles fine. But that doesn't mean it's correct.
xp677

Post by xp677 »

It does if everything works!

Looks like a simple library, just one header file. If the header didn't have the correct declarations, then it wouldn't compile. If the sensor works, then it looks like problem solved.
slow67

Post by slow67 »

xp677 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:21 pm It does if everything works!

Looks like a simple library, just one header file. If the header didn't have the correct declarations, then it wouldn't compile. If the sensor works, then it looks like problem solved.
I don't have the Isabelle shunt. I plan on building a teensy based one that uses the same CAN signals ( with an isolated HV measurement and a LEM current sensor).
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Has anyone figured out the resistors for the temperature sensors? R93,5,7,9. I saw that Damien had the wifi/web interface up and running, were those based on actual temperatures?

If not, is anyone able to have a guess at these?