Any Tangible Project Ideas?

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
lompilomp

Any Tangible Project Ideas?

Post by lompilomp »

So I recently came across an offer that was too good to pass up on: 2-tesla 5.3kwh modules for $500 each.
They weren't flushed of coolant and thus a couple of drops got into the plastic trays and the humidity caused some very slight surface rust, but I have since then completely dried them out and they're good to go for whatever I can put them in.

I was originally thinking of putting them in my golf cart, but it's current batteries are still good for maybe 15 miles, and we don't use it often anyways.

The next idea was maybe an electric motorcycle, since these two packs have a pretty hefty amount of energy, though probably not the ideal voltage?

I initially sold them on eBay for some profit but long story short, the buyer accidentally disconnected one of the battery fuses, probably while trying to clean a rust spot (which was literally only surface rust, no need to) and blamed it on me, and thus lost over $300 after the dust settled from shipping and all the ridiculous fees. All it took was a drop of solder and half a second to reconnect it.

I still have the performance drive unit but I doubt I'll be using that anytime soon, unless I find another type of battery, or maybe a job (lmao).

There was a crazy woman selling a whole un-crashed 2012 leaf with 16k miles and 10/12 bars for $1,500 near me, but it's got the service light on and needs towed, IDK what that's about. Might be worth a look. But honestly, after this whole eBay fiasco, I'm not feeling it.

But anyways, does anyone have any tangible project suggestions for these 2 batteries, as in something that isn't a pipe dream that would take 5 years to complete?
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Any Tangible Project Ideas?

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

lompilomp wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:11 pm But anyways, does anyone have any tangible project suggestions for these 2 batteries, as in something that isn't a pipe dream that would take 5 years to complete?
Powerwall?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
tmotion

Post by tmotion »

Speedboat?
lompilomp

Post by lompilomp »

As for a powerwall, we have a backup generator and I don't think it will be of much service, since at night with AC's off we are still pulling around 3kW.

A speedboat has been given some thought but considering the inefficiency of planing boats, you'd be lucky to get 20 miles out of a full 85kwh pack. Maybe on a sailboat or another type of displacement hull it may be more, but that's something that to me just seems out of reach.

About an electric motorcycle -- does anyone have a suggestion as to what motor one could use? I was looking online but DAMN new motors are expensive. Like hell, I can find Leaf motors for 1/3 the price of what the '10kw' golden motors go for, I guess the problem would be that they're rather big for the occasion, and I'm not sure if they'd even be any good on 48v.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

lompilomp wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:51 pm About an electric motorcycle -- does anyone have a suggestion as to what motor one could use?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=615
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.