Can MG1 and MG2 be driven independently when using a Gen3 Inverter?

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
rogerdw

Can MG1 and MG2 be driven independently when using a Gen3 Inverter?

Post by rogerdw »

Hi, I am new here and have read a lot and watched a lot of videos looking for an answer.

I was given a Prius battery pack recently and wondered if I could perhaps fit a Prius transaxle to a ride-on mower … with MG2 driving the cutting deck and MG1 driving the wheels.

And then add auto steer and make it autonomous … a paddock Roomba if you like
It would require each motor to be driven independently … so I’d have to somehow unlink the two motors’ drive gear connections … then take the output from MG1 from the ICE connection shaft … and output from MG2 from one of the transaxle outputs.

I thought I’d found my answer with the V1d logic board … but then came to the realisation that the motors were still paired up to drive together and the gears were welded internally.

Anyway there’s probably a hundred different ways this could be approached, so I’d be interested in any other suggestions or ideas.

Thanks for reading.
johu
Site Admin

Re: Can MG1 and MG2 be driven independently when using a Gen3 Inverter?

Post by johu »

Moved to Toyota section
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
zl3ag

Post by zl3ag »

I'm working on exactly this right now, but for a small tractor (TYM353HST) with MG1 driving the PTO and MG2 the wheels.

I'm half way through modifying the planetary gear that connects MG1 to the ICE shaft and MG2.

First, you have to cut most the planetary carrier off the unit (which disconnects the outer MG1 ring completely. Done.

Second, you have to weld the inner ICE input/output shaft to the tube that has the gear on it that engages with MG2. Because there's no bearings involved, it's all sloppy, so you have to do it in situ. I'm at that stage. I will be drilling some holes through the remainder of the planetary carrier, removing the little roller thrust bearing that sits between it and the MG2 drive gear, then MIG spot weld it through those holes while it's all assembled. These welds will hold it in the correct position for when I remove it and do the big-arse final welds.

I'm taking photos and will post it up here once complete.
rogerdw

Post by rogerdw »

Thanks for the response zl … sounds like an interesting project and good to hear you’re making progress. I see you’re in NZ … I’m in South Australia.

I have watched lots of videos trying to understand the layout of the motors and gears and had come to the conclusion that one of the larger outer gears would have to be “dis-engaged” somehow. Didn’t realise you’d need to weld up the remains, though it does makes sense.

What version transaxle are you using … a P510?

Will be interested to see your photos once you upload them.

Had you decided exactly how you’re going to drive the motors and what inverter/logic boards you’re going to use? I think that was more my stumbling block at the moment … can I use a Gen3 inverter eg and run the two inverters independently … or is there a better option.

In fact I have wondered if there might be other motors that might be a better bet … even to the point of having direct drive motors with vertical shafts, directly driving the blades. I figure with the power available with a Prius battery pack, that I should be able to run a triple deck and get a decent cutting width.

Of course it shouldn’t take too big a motor for driving the rear wheels.

Another option now is that with the right size cutting motors … they shouldn’t even need an inverter, because if it is correctly calculated … they just need to be on or off and no need for variable speed.

Depending on how the wheels are driven, an inverter and electronic speed control makes a lot more sense than a mechanical gearbox.