Using iBooster Brake Pressure Sensor with LDU Board

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
ekohn04

Using iBooster Brake Pressure Sensor with LDU Board

Post by ekohn04 »

Hey everyone, after a bit of driving with a one pedal setup (running Jon Volk's tune) I have realized that my brake lights are not turning on during regen. After a bit of investigation, I realized the wire coming out of the OI LDU board that I was planning on running to my brake light switch is actually for initiating regen, not for turning the brake light on. I really don't want to get rear-ended, so I'm looking for solutions on this. I'm planning on learning CAN bus, and among other things I will be able use it to turn the brake light on with one pedal driving. In the meantime, I need a solution to this issue so I don't cause a pileup on the freeway. I think the best solution is to blend the regen into my brakes. I'm using a Gen 2 iBooster, and I was wondering if anyone had hooked the integrated pedal travel sensor on the iBooster up to the OI board's brake pedal transducer. If so, a quick run down would save me a lot of time and troubleshooting. Which wires do I connect to the OI board, and how do I tune the values? Thanks as always!!!
johu
Site Admin

Re: Using iBooster Brake Pressure Sensor with LDU Board

Post by johu »

I suppose the iBooster also communicates pedal travel via CAN?
Then you can map that to "regenpreset" when using 5.27.R firmware

There is also a secondary throttle input that can be used as regenpreset source
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
ekohn04

Post by ekohn04 »

Yes, I was planning on using that second throttle input before I started playing around with CAN. I was mostly wondering which cables on the iBooster I would route to that throttle input.
woutvanschaik

Post by woutvanschaik »

I am doing something quite similar. My setup uses a dual hall throttle and i would like to use CAN for transmitting the regen, by means of pedal travel. not sure which value to send on. I cannot test yet, as i do not have any HV active yet, but is it a good idea to use the "regenpreset" for transmitting the pedal travel, and do i need to use my VCU to calculate anything by means of speed, or is this all handled properly by the inverterboard?
Converting a E21 to Tesla SDU
barracuda816

Post by barracuda816 »

I was thinking about this for my project also. But I am thinking of maybe going with an accelerometer they are quite cheap. Something like a aduino as a comparator and wired inline with the break switch. That would allow you to choose at what rate of decel you want the lights to come on at (or if you want them to flash at some point.
ekohn04

Post by ekohn04 »

woutvanschaik wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:59 pm I am doing something quite similar. My setup uses a dual hall throttle and i would like to use CAN for transmitting the regen, by means of pedal travel. not sure which value to send on.
I’m not familiar with controlling the OI board over CAN, is that how you’re handling control of the OI board? I ask because the board has one pedal driving built in when using the accelerator inputs on pins 12-15. It basically has a dead zone for 30% of the pedal, and that dead zone can be used to modulate regen. If you don’t like the dead zone, some users have developed a one pedal driving setup more analogous to OEM setups. Check out this thread viewtopic.php?t=3997
ekohn04

Post by ekohn04 »

barracuda816 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:27 pm I was thinking about this for my project also. But I am thinking of maybe going with an accelerometer they are quite cheap. Something like a aduino as a comparator and wired inline with the break switch. That would allow you to choose at what rate of decel you want the lights to come on at (or if you want them to flash at some point.
That’s a super good idea! I wonder if this would give you better control over at what rate of decel the brake lights come on than when requesting when regen is occurring over CAN.