Type 2 to CHAdeMO Converter/Charger?

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
Laugh2

Type 2 to CHAdeMO Converter/Charger?

Post by Laugh2 »

Hi, I would like to find (or construct?) a unit to convert Type 2 to CHAdeMO at up to about 22 kW. Since we have an Gen 2 Prius PHV (aka Prime) with CHAdeMO, which was imported from Japan, then this converter would enable me to fast charge from an AC source.

Our Prius has a 3.3kW onboard AC charging system, which takes almost 2 hours to charge on AC. However, the CHAdeMO charging system takes 15min to 20min at 15kW to 17kW, depending on temperature etc. So for us the reasons are:
  • 1. There are many more Type 2 (and J-1772) stations available than CHAdeMO, CCS-SAE, and Tesla chargers combined (and likely to remain so).

2. The Type 2 points are not just more plentiful but are often immediately available whereas the CHAdeMO (and CCS) chargers are often in use or have a queue (... at least where I live).

3. Installation and maintenance of charging points is much cheaper for AC than DC, so in future AC charging points will remain more plentiful and will more frequently provide low-cost charging. Hence retailers, employers, public services, etc. can afford AC chargers. The result is that non-domestic AC charging points will remain more plentiful and much cheaper than DC into the future (and more often be free-of-cost).

4. In many places 22kW is easy to install domestically so fast charging at home at 22kW becomes possible. Since the Prius's CHAdeMO has a max.power of 17kW then for me this would represent fast charging at its best.

5. We can charge much faster using CHAdeMO (DC) than using AC.
For these reasons I can also imagine that many EV owners would be interested in this converter, especially if it also has CCS as an output. 22kW may not compete with 350kW DC for speed, but 22kW is plenty when shopping, in the cinema, or having food or rest stops on road trips.

I have found something similar to buy in the internet: but this leaves the rectification up to the onboard charging system, I think. Although different, related posts include: Does anyone know of a Type 2 to CHAdeMO Converter to buy? or if it would be easy to construct?
johu
Site Admin

Re: Type 2 to CHAdeMO Converter?

Post by johu »

You can't really call this a "converter" it is rather a full blown charger that converts AC to DC power using power electronics.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005817982041.html

I built something like that in the past: viewtopic.php?t=763
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Laugh2

Re: Type 2 to CHAdeMO Converter/Charger?

Post by Laugh2 »

Thank you. True - I've changed the title to Converter/Charger. There do seem to be a number of 15kW to 20kW, 3 phase rectifiers for CHAdeMO/CCS/etc on the market of vastly differing price and possibly quality: however, they don't mention using a Type 2 input. I am presuming that the 5 input cables for these units are for 3 phase power with neutral and protective earth connections.

The bench size rig you created also uses a 3 phase input although you do mention using a Type 2 input towards the end of the video. While yours is a really interesting proof-of-concept project it's probably not quite ready for a home DIY person to attempt due safety (as mentioned in the video) and possible issues with transients, etc and stability under full load.

Which means that even with those bought rectifiers there would still need to be an additional unit to use the Type 2 input. Presumably there is also a need to communicate control info through relevant circuitry to the CHAdeMO connector. Presumably too, there is also a little "translating" of signalling necessary along the way? Would this be a difficult DIY project?
uhi22

Re: Type 2 to CHAdeMO Converter/Charger?

Post by uhi22 »

Could the following concept work:
- for the high-power stuff use a 22kW charger from a car. This takes 3 phase AC and provides HV DC. I think Damien reverse-engineered a MG charger which seems to be controllable via CAN easily.
- into the type 2 direction, use an Arduino which measures the CP PWM and controls the State C.
- into the Chademo direction, the Arduino talks CAN and controls some relays.
- This would require two CAN on the Arduino, one for controlling the charger, one to talk chademo to the vehicle.
Doable?

[Edit] Or, wait: in best case, the OBC is handling the type 2 stuff already (measuring CP, PP, switching state C). So the only missing piece would be a "bridge" between the OBC CAN on the one side and the Chademo (CAN, relays) on the other side.