Help Interpreting BMS data

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
ekohn04

Help Interpreting BMS data

Post by ekohn04 »

Hi everyone, after a couple years of working on this conversion I finally am able to drive my car. I am using a 62kwh Leaf pack with a Tesla LDU and there doesn't seem to be much documentation on the max current I can pull from these cells. I decided to do some data logging with my Orion 2 BMS today, and was hoping someone could help me interpret the data. I am logging cell resistance, cell voltage, pack voltage, and current. I will link the full spreadsheets below if anyone is interested at really combing through the data.

To keep it short(er), I see an increase from a .023 ohm resistance to as high as a .107 ohm resistance when I pull around 400 amps (for a short time) from this pack. I see a voltage sag of at most ~.3v on a cell level (3.7-3.4) as well. The delta between my highest cell volt and my lowest cell volt increases considerably, and at most the resistance delta will be .07 ohms. I will do some plotting on a cell basis to see which cells are experiencing these changes.

What can be concluded from this data? Can I make any conclusions about the maximum current output of these cells?

I have also noticed that the cell resistance is sustained high after these pulls for the rest of the drive. It will then go back to .023 ohms as soon as I cycle the contactors. Why is this?

Spreadsheet 1
Spreadsheet 2
Spreadsheet 3