QCA7000 Foccci+Clara User thread

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
dougyip

Re: QCA7000 Foccci+Clara User thread

Post by dougyip »

Still not working, but found some interesting troubleshooting information.

1) Verified that the charger is not in an error state by charging an Ioniq 5 before our test.

2) First test with the 330 ohm to 5V and 2.7K pulldown on the PP line. Response was identical to last trip with no communications established.

3) Second test with the 330 ohm pull-up and 2.7k pulldown removed and the board returned to it's original configuration with 1k pullup to 3.3V. Communications established once again (SOC displayed on the station and I receive EVSE Max Voltage and EVSE Max Current). The system fails at the "Cable Check Request" - same as our original test.

4) 0% duty cycle reported on PP on "Spot Values" and in log.
Attachments
putty0425_3.txt
(62.45 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

Ok, at least the results are stable, that's a good basis for finding the issue.
There are two indications, that something with the wiring is wrong:
- The CP PWM is reported with 0%. This shows that either the CP is not wired to the charger, or the charger does not provide the PWM at all.
- The cableCheck fails. One reason for this is, that the charger does not see the state C on the CP (but there are other reasons, too).
The surprising fact is, that even if the CP is not connected, there could be still the high-level-communication ongoing. I observed this also in my experiments. Just a very weak coupling is sufficient, e.g. two wires sit with some millimeters distance, so the high frequency PLC signals (2MHz to 30MHz) are able jump to via the capacitive coupling between the wires.

Do you have access to an oscilloscope? I'd propose to measure the CP signal on Foccci board. As long as the charger is not plugged-in, the CP shall have 0V. When plugging in, the CP shall jump to 9V (because the charger supplies 12V via 1k on the CP, and the Foccci has a diode and pull down). This is the state B. As soon as the charger detects the state B, it shall start the 1kHz, 5% PWM. This may be fast (e.g. few milliseconds) or longer (e.g. half a second or so). The PWM shall have the levels +9V and -12V. And the duty of this PWM shall be visible in the Focccis web interface.
dougyip

Post by dougyip »

Success! Completed multiple test sessions today at 20, 40, and 80kW. Thanks to all for the help! What was the problem? CP & PP lines mixed up - oops! Interesting that there was still some communications over the CP line despite no direct connection.

1) We would have tried 120kw as well, but CAN variable "Charge Current" is only an 8 bit variable. It appears we can only specify up to 256 amps. I tried changing the CAN map to 16 bits without success.

2) It looks like actual EVSE Current = Commanded Charge Current at any SOC lower than 95% (see point 3 below). This means that most current ramping we see on OEM vehicles starting at 80% SOC is being implemented on the vehicle side.

3) It appears that SOC is not strictly for display (at least on the PhiPhong charger). It does enforce some safety monitoring. The charger faulted out and would not restart when we hit 95% SOC (number was incorrect, we were probably closer to 75%) with 80kW charge power. When the transmitted SOC number was changed to 75%, were able to re-start and continue at 80 kW.

20240428_113156.jpg
20240428_132436.jpg

For those of you interested, I will post a project update about the vehicle in the appropriate section once we have our 2024 Upgrades sorted out. As well as the CCS charging upgrades, we have stretched the car 10", and added a 2nd M3 drive unit to make the car AWD....
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

Regarding the "8 bit" for the ChargeCurrent: Cannot confirm this issue at the moment. Using SavvyCAN to transmit the value 499A (hex 01F3), and this shows up in the web interface:
image.png
image.png (6.32 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Using this CAN mapping:
image.png
image.png (3.58 KiB) Viewed 245 times
The path in the software from the parameter itself to the CCS structure uses at least int16, so should not limit. The limitation I found is the 500A in the parameter definition. Could you check which value shows up in the web interface, if you have on CAN a value between 256 and 500A?

[Edit] Also pyPLC shows the correct current up to 500A:
image.png
dougyip

Post by dougyip »

I also get it working in the test bench now - not sure why I couldn't get it working in the field. Good to know it isn't a fundamental problem with the data structure. Isn't " Charge Current" mapped to 0x102 (Decimal 258) though? I remapped to length 16 starting at position 24 and can now receive numbers between 256 and 500.
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

Great. I just used a random ID, for me it does not matter.