Leaf to VW Type 2 Campervan  [FINISHED]

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
ianlighting

Leaf to VW Type 2 Campervan

Post by ianlighting »

Howdy. First post, feel free to put me right on anything (but gently would be nice if posss). :)

This is probably a first pre-project post as an intro and if I get my sh*t together I’ll follow with more info as a proper thread. Probably.

Was going to add a couple of photos for people to laugh at, but I think I need to read the instructions on attaching photos, so will save them for the next post. It’s probably easy when you know how...

Anyway, plan is…

VW Type2 - to be electrified.
Nissan Leaf - donor of motor stack and BMS
Resolve EV - controller
Brat industries - probably adaptor stuff attached to transmission.

As I’m new to this stuff (but feeling optimistic) I am deliberately keeping things achievable. There will be plenty to contend with I’m sure but this approach keeps a win within sight IMO. Who knows where this will all lead once I’ve achieved this build.

I also gain the easy benefit of 50kW charging via Chademo (or ccs via adaptor) instead of only slow charging which I see in a lot of kits.
Oh yes, this is also in the region of £5k build I reckon.

I’ve read about ‘proper’ CCS via other controllers, but to be honest it feels outside my comfort zone at this stage. I’m in learning by doing mode here.

So far…
I have a medium nice VW T2. Eventually will be electrified. But I don’t want to practice on that. So have bought a complete failure of a VW T2, lots of v bad rust and daylight everywhere. I will practice on this.

I have bought a smashed up Leaf (2015), 24kWh batt. It arrives tomorrow.

I’ve agreed to do a course on high voltage EV Maintenon and fixing. Keeps the wife happy to know I’ve reduced risk of death a little.

And that’s it, but I think I’m clear on my next steps.

Thanks!
Ian
ianlighting

Re: Introduction - Leaf to VW

Post by ianlighting »

Is it out of order to be talk8ng about a build on this site that is not actually using the Open Inverter board?

What’s the protocol here? Is it bad form?
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

No you're fine.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

As long as it's EV you're fine ;)
In the "full editor" when replying there is an attachment tab below now that your first post was approved
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
ianlighting

Post by ianlighting »

988C0EA9-09C5-43BE-AF1B-21C6C29BA314.jpeg
Here’s the cheap vw made of burnt flaky crossiants (that’s what it looks like underneath anyway).

And also the broken Leaf that will give it new life!
95329DE2-80C9-47E6-8B1F-98FE53F61014.jpeg

Once I’ve learnt what I’m doing, the new beating heart will get transferred over to my running VW bus which is better condition and actually legal on the roads. It will then inspire me to do more restoration on my running Vw. At least that’s the plan…
ianlighting

Re: Leaf to VW Type 2 Campervan

Post by ianlighting »

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.

The path that got me ready to try my first conversion is a meandering one, as it should be. I'm going to list a bunch of the links, posts, etc that led me here. The actual list is much longer, but if my build turns out to be successful, and you have a question on how i got wherever i got to, this page might be useful. As described in my intro post, I class myself as a beginner, not a hacker or code monkey. So some of the feats of wonder from Damian etc are not in my list as its outside my abilities currently.

Parts I'll use
Resolve EV controller - https://www.resolve-ev.com/
Brat Industries coupler - https://bratindustries.net/product/niss ... coupler-2/

Builds that Inspired

Dala the Great
This is what showed me the possibilities -
https://www.youtube.com/@DalasEVRepair

Dave, South West EV UK
He wrote his own VCU (i know enought to know thats very impressive!) -

Jimmy, EV Swamp
Using the same approach i realised i could duplicate. I know he's present on this site too, and has been helpful in responding to comments on YT to me -

Cera from Finland.
Apparently with no experience is doing a superb strip down and EVing of a VW T2 -
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/vw-t2-76.206309/

French guy
VW T25 EV conversion -

German guy - EDIT, sorry, Flying Tools man is Swedish. My apologies.
VW Golf - Leaf conversion -

Other Bits

Ben, Leaf Motor teardown - invaluable

OpenSource EV
Regular updates on FB too
https://www.ossev.info/design/battery/index.php

EV4U
https://www.youtube.com/@ev4u

Dont do this

You now know as much as me.
Since I dont know very much I'll reserve my advice to anyone at the same stage as me to watching almost all the episodes of the series above. Keep a log of things that you think are important and dont be in a hurry to jump into something. Its complicated and you probably want to know you can achieve all the different aspects before spending money.
johu
Site Admin

Re: Leaf to VW Type 2 Campervan  [FINISHED]

Post by johu »

Small correction the german guy is a Swedish guy (flying tools) ;)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
ianlighting

Post by ianlighting »

johu wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:54 pm Small correction the german guy is a Swedish guy (flying tools) ;)
Ah, yes, you are correct. My apologies to all German and Swedish people, and Mr Flying Tools in particular.
ianlighting

Post by ianlighting »

Take object A and insert into position B. Simple.

Actually, slightly stuck on the aircon currently. Still pressurised on the Leaf and have not found anyone interested to come out and suck it out professionally. Need to sort that before I can get the engine out from what I can tell.

Object A (shown upside down, not my fault)
FAC690B4-A093-4E76-97CD-35E04DF6C6E1.jpeg
Position B
46B89C6C-0E64-4A15-8D4E-D16C54B603B6.jpeg
ianlighting

Post by ianlighting »

It’s free… (meaning released from captivity, not zero cost!)

Sorry about photo orientation. Second time it’s done that. Probably a setting I need to work out.
Attachments
B99AE824-B8D2-48CD-AE67-542B9E3D9D92.jpeg
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

ianlighting wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:17 pm Image

It’s free… (meaning released from captivity, not zero cost!)

Sorry about photo orientation. Second time it’s done that. Probably a setting I need to work out.
not sure what you planned to do as far as an adapter goes but I split the leaf gearbox casing and then left the half attached to the leaf motor as a spacer and made an adapter to go from that to the gearbox, here's a link to my post if you want to take a look it's right near the start

viewtopic.php?t=4064

:)
ianlighting

Post by ianlighting »

andybpowell wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:35 pm not sure what you planned to do as far as an adapter goes but I split the leaf gearbox casing and then left the half attached to the leaf motor as a spacer and made an adapter to go from that to the gearbox, here's a link to my post if you want to take a look it's right near the start

viewtopic.php?t=4064

:)
Nice idea. I’ll have a look at what you did when I have a bit more time. Current plan is to get adaptor plates and coupler from BratIndustries, but nothing is finalised yet, but I have sent Angus an email yesterday I think to move it forward a bit.

Now the beast is free from the old Leaf, I am ready to firm up ideas of measurements.
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

ianlighting wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:42 pm Nice idea. I’ll have a look at what you did when I have a bit more time. Current plan is to get adaptor plates and coupler from BratIndustries, but nothing is finalised yet, but I have sent Angus an email yesterday I think to move it forward a bit.

Now the beast is free from the old Leaf, I am ready to firm up ideas of measurements.
yes there's lots to consider in the whole process budget, timescale, what you want to do yourself and what you can do yourself so many things to consider :)
ianlighting

Post by ianlighting »

andybpowell wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:01 pm yes there's lots to consider in the whole process budget, timescale, what you want to do yourself and what you can do yourself so many things to consider :)
Had a peak at your page that you linked. I havent read all 14 pages though!

I see what you did I think. I will go and consider your approach, although I see you have both equipment and skills that I don't - welding etc. Although I'm up for a challenge, I also want this project to be successful and not end up with a metal scrap yard on my drive due to multiple dead end attempts to do this. So I'm likely gong to continue with a set of purchased parts and follow the road that others have made so there are directions I can follow. I'm pretty confident I can do what my rough plan in my head sets out. Once I've done that, I can imagine there may be other things I could do with different approaches, but that's quite some way off :)