WIP 1974 Ford Capri + GS450H

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
CapriV

WIP 1974 Ford Capri + GS450H

Post by CapriV »

Hi all.
I've decided to go full EV with my Capri.
I found an entire 07 GS450H not far away from me, its missing the hybrid battery but everything else is there.
About to start harvesting parts.
Transmission, inverter, splined input shaft coupler, drive shaft, oil pump controller, wire harnesses.
Anything else?
Shopping list from there.....
2017-2023 Tesla Model 3 Power Conversion System PCS OnBoard Charger with an EVBMW Tesla Model 3 PCS Controller
2015 BMW I3 CHARGING MODULE CONTROL UNIT, used.
ZOMBIEVERTER assembled.
BMW 740e batteries, maybe.
BMS, not sure yet

My knowledge of electronics is basic enough but I've done some.
I did build the donor car loom with sequential spark and fueling.
Twincharged 40psi boost control and delivery with PWM valves etc, (poor engine)
Direct port meth injection piggy backing off injector duty cycle.
So not entirely green to wiring and PCBs, really love making things work though....!

I've watched a lot of Damien's vids and I think I'm sold.
Maybe its his accent that got me.. I've been away from Ireland for 10 years now so it reminds me of home lol...
I'm confident I'll be able to follow along and get the thing going on the bench, most things seem very doable.
Just getting a little overwhelmed with the actual battery and BMS stuff.

I think as I get the mechanical end of things where they need to be I will doing a lot more reading and vid watching.

Any advice?

Thanks
andybpowell

Re: 1974 Ford Capri

Post by andybpowell »

CapriV wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:46 am Hi all.
I've decided to go full EV with my Capri.
I found an entire 07 GS450H not far away from me, its missing the hybrid battery but everything else is there.
About to start harvesting parts.
Transmission, inverter, splined input shaft coupler, drive shaft, oil pump controller, wire harnesses.
Anything else?
Shopping list from there.....
2017-2023 Tesla Model 3 Power Conversion System PCS OnBoard Charger with an EVBMW Tesla Model 3 PCS Controller
2015 BMW I3 CHARGING MODULE CONTROL UNIT, used.
ZOMBIEVERTER assembled.
BMW 740e batteries, maybe.
BMS, not sure yet

My knowledge of electronics is basic enough but I've done some.
I did build the donor car loom with sequential spark and fueling.
Twincharged 40psi boost control and delivery with PWM valves etc, (poor engine)
Direct port meth injection piggy backing off injector duty cycle.
So not entirely green to wiring and PCBs, really love making things work though....!

I've watched a lot of Damien's vids and I think I'm sold.
Maybe its his accent that got me.. I've been away from Ireland for 10 years now so it reminds me of home lol...
I'm confident I'll be able to follow along and get the thing going on the bench, most things seem very doable.
Just getting a little overwhelmed with the actual battery and BMS stuff.

I think as I get the mechanical end of things where they need to be I will doing a lot more reading and vid watching.

Any advice?

Thanks
Looking forward to this I did love my Capri's my first real car mod was rover V8 into capri
IMAG0367.jpg
Does the 450h fit into the transmission tunnel ok ? the 300h is smaller and was a tight squeeze into my Z3
Anyway I look forward to seeing how this progresses (lot's of pictures please) :)
CapriV

Post by CapriV »

I'm guessing the transmission will not fit, I have a built T5 in there that needed the tunnel modified to fit.
As I'm not limited to a shifter hole I should be able to keep moving it forward until I get the desired elevation and driveline angles.
As I have an 8.8 solid rear on leaf springs I'm considering using the lexus drive but then putting the sliding yoke assembly to the rear of the car on the "pigs head" flange to take up the axle movement, that should technically work fine, its just not sealed from dirt like it would be inside the transmission tail shaft.

Heres a pic, my first and last paint job...
capri side.jpg
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

Lovely looking car
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

to have the T5 box and 8.8" rear axle what motor did you have in it to need that ?
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

CapriV wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:47 pm I'm guessing the transmission will not fit, I have a built T5 in there that needed the tunnel modified to fit.
As I'm not limited to a shifter hole I should be able to keep moving it forward until I get the desired elevation and driveline angles.
As I have an 8.8 solid rear on leaf springs I'm considering using the lexus drive but then putting the sliding yoke assembly to the rear of the car on the "pigs head" flange to take up the axle movement, that should technically work fine, its just not sealed from dirt like it would be inside the transmission tail shaft.

Heres a pic, my first and last paint job...

capri side.jpg
The L110 is a large transmission. it sits lower in my Rambler than the tiny 1964 auto box that was in there before, but not so low as to be a problem. You can either modify the tunnel or just shift the transmission further forward. I put in an 8.8 solid rear w/ a triangulated four link and have the sliding yoke coming off the tail of the transmission with an adapter that goes from Lexus/Toyota to a 1350.

https://www.driftmotion.com/Diff-Adapte ... /dm221.htm
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/
CapriV

Post by CapriV »

andybpowell wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:58 am to have the T5 box and 8.8" rear axle what motor did you have in it to need that ?
I built a 2.3 from a merkur, this was the XR4Ti of north America. Because someone said I couldn't, I twincharged it.
Compound with turbo blowing into supercharger.
The aim was elevated inlet vs exhaust back pressure.
It seemed to be quite knock resistant.
I hit 40psi of boost with this, all gauges pegged. Bust the 3 bar MAP sensor... haha..
Pretty insane to drive. Bottom end is toast now, crankcase vents hard. I have tinnitus from years of drumming so going for the quiet EV life now! 😆😆😆😆

Screenshot_20240424_174218_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240106_113636_Gallery.jpg
CapriV

Post by CapriV »

PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:29 pm The L110 is a large transmission. it sits lower in my Rambler than the tiny 1964 auto box that was in there before, but not so low as to be a problem. You can either modify the tunnel or just shift the transmission further forward. I put in an 8.8 solid rear w/ a triangulated four link and have the sliding yoke coming off the tail of the transmission with an adapter that goes from Lexus/Toyota to a 1350.

https://www.driftmotion.com/Diff-Adapte ... /dm221.htm
That piece looks the biz!!
I might be getting that then so.

I built an atlas for my rear, also made caltracs and used a mustang ARB..
Screenshot_20240424_175420_Gallery.jpg
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

That's a really tidy setup I turbocharged one of my Capri's very budget setup as I had little cash so used a second hand Garrett T3 with draw through setup and low compression pistons from a Ford transit van as they were all I could afford it worked really well right up until one of the pistons came through the side of the block :evil: Happy days
CapriV

Post by CapriV »

andybpowell wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:29 am That's a really tidy setup I turbocharged one of my Capri's very budget setup as I had little cash so used a second hand Garrett T3 with draw through setup and low compression pistons from a Ford transit van as they were all I could afford it worked really well right up until one of the pistons came through the side of the block :evil: Happy days
Thanks. I'm near sure we've crossed paths on the capri laser or capripower forums? Your name definitely rings a bell!

Today I got the lexus towed to my garage.
20 mins had the inverter out.
The hybrid battery is missing. And there's a spare transmission oil pump in a little box in the trunk.....?
Had a look and there's one on the transmission too.
20240427_151709.jpg
CapriV

Post by CapriV »

Does that pic appear sideways on everyone else screen too!!?? 😆

Any battery experts out there mind giving me some advice?

Here's the specs from the battery I stumbled on, perusing the internet aisles.
Could 5 of these wired in series work?
They have a nominal voltage of 76.8 x 5 = 384v.

Assume I'm 5yo... school me please. 🤓

Screenshot_20240427_170856_Gallery.jpg
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

Yes the 5 batteries in series would work fine
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

CapriV wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:31 pm Thanks. I'm near sure we've crossed paths on the capri laser or capripower forums? Your name definitely rings a bell!

Today I got the lexus towed to my garage.
20 mins had the inverter out.
The hybrid battery is missing. And there's a spare transmission oil pump in a little box in the trunk.....?
Had a look and there's one on the transmission too.

20240427_151709.jpg
Wouldn't have been me I've not owned a capri since about 1990 not owned a ford since, I'd have another capri if I could afford one in good condition but prices are silly in the uk