Axle Removal

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Axle Removal

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

I'm coming to the forum with this because I have exhausted the rest of the internet's ideas. I've put this in general since its applicable to most CV axles.

I'm trying to remove the adapter plates from my Tesla LDU. These are the Zero EV/Felten/Amprevolt LDU to Porsche 930 adapters. They are held into the drive unit with a retaining ring, like most CV axles. They will not come out.

So far I have tried: prybars, slide hammer, axle popper/fork, multiple prybars, running longer bolts through the adapter to press against the case, and a great deal of swearing. I also attempted to open the case and remove the rings, but then realized that since both are still attached to the same differential, I can't open the case more than about 1/2" with them still in there. The ring does not seem to be interested in compressing at all.

Any ideas that I've missed?
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Aragorn

Re: Axle Removal

Post by Aragorn »

try a bigger slide hammer :)

Failing that, a hydraulic press. But it will be a challenge getting it jigged up in such a way as to apply the force in the right direction

What ever you do make sure your pulling straight and not pulling from the side.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Aragorn wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:26 pm But it will be a challenge getting it jigged up in such a way as to apply the force in the right direction
Yeah that's a huge part of the issue, the axle is so far inboard on the Tesla case that getting force onto it correctly is a challenge. The geometry of the back side of the adapters makes the slide hammer and axle fork difficult too.

I suppose I may need to do some fabricating to create some sort of press or a better slide hammer mount. I've also considered securing it between two trees with a come-a-long and applying pressure that way, but that seems like a great way to launch a 10 lbs chunk of steel at my head.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

yeah you'll want to make a piece of steel with three holes, so your slide hammer is centred on the flange. Bolt your steel on where the CV attaches.

This is a wheel hub, but you'll want to end up with the same alignment:
image.png
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Yeah, that's a good thought, I'll give it a shot.

muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

I made this for myself!
20240401_171011.jpg
P.S.Mangelsdorf

muehlpower wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:32 pm I made this for myself!
What did you use for the attachment piece? Is that a machined piece or something reused?

muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

This the axle flange that was left over from my mecedes drive shafts.
s-l1600.jpg
Cera

Post by Cera »

Slightly related to this subject, but is that "common retaining ring" a standard size for most drive axles and where do people normally buy those? :D I get that this is a silly question but all I've managed to find is those thin washer like snap rings, not the ones which look like they've been made from thick wire.

To be more specific, I need the ones for Nissan Leaf drive axles (gearbox end). It's driving me nuts since I think they must be a common and easily available piece of hardware like washers, nuts and bolts but no. No automotive parts store near me seems to have those. :D
jrbe

Post by jrbe »

Cera wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:52 pm Slightly related to this subject, but is that "common retaining ring" a standard size for most drive axles and where do people normally buy those? :D
I haven't found a source for the retaining rings yet. If you have an axle rebuilder nearby they can likely get them or might have them in stock.

As for getting this style axles out, some have too sloppy of a bore for the retainer spring and the spring can get out of place to where it binds
Screenshot_20240410_222455_Infinite Painter.jpg
between the ID (Green) and OD (orange). The retaining clip (red) needs to be aligned concentrically with the black circle but it can fall down to the OD or even past if the groove isn't designed properly or it's the almost right retainer clip that floats too much. The clip blocks the splines from pulling out on the sides where it overlaps the ID & OD.

So what has to happen is you rotate the stub axle as you gently pull out or do a quick twist and a quick pull mid twist and keep trying for the clip to fall into the right place. When it is in the right place the stub axle will pull out a little bit more than it was / you can feel the spring being squeezed while pulling vs. feeling like it's just hitting a wall. You have to keep slight outward pressure to keep it in the right spot once you get it until you can pop it out.

If you pull hard enough to distort the retaining ring it can get very tough to get the stub able out.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

SO built a slide hammer attachment that allowed me to pull directly on the adapters, and no luck. I got the case open the 1/2" that it is able with the adapters in, and tried applying pressure from the back side of the axle, no luck. I tried combinations of those, and with/without the axle fork, no luck. These damn things do not want to come out. The splines are all fine/aren't jammed, as the adapter still slides in and out slightly, it really is the damn retaining ring does not want to compress.

I'm trying to avoid just buying another set of adapters, especially as I need lots of other parts for other upgrades, but I'm at a loss at this point. I appreciate the help from everyone.

Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

jrbe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:34 am As for getting this style axles out, some have too sloppy of a bore for the retainer spring and the spring can get out of place to where it binds
Hmm yeah, i ran into that issue with an Audi CV joint where the shaft was retained onto the joint with a snap ring. It came apart after much anger with a chisel and big hammer while clamped in the vice, but the clip was seriously mangled from having dug into the edges of the splines and the splines themselves were a bit chewed up. Was very difficult getting the new CV fitted to the shaft due to the damage.