1984 Voltswagen Rabbit Prius Gen 3 ZOMBIE

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter

What motor/inverter combo would you like to see me use?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:57 pm

Nissan Leaf
38%
Toyota Prius
44%
Other (No Outlanders in US)
18%

Total votes: 34
Gregski

Re: 1984 Voltswagen Rabbit Prius Gen 3 ZOMBIE

Post by Gregski »

and now a lesson on German Electronics from the guy who should not be giving a lesson on anything let alone German Electronics

this is a 2018 BMW 530e hybrid battery pack

IMG_4630.JPG

why the hell does that say U=

IMG_4636 arrow.jpg

The letter "U", often used to denote voltage supply, is said to be derived from the German word "Unterschied" which means "difference". This loosely implies "voltage difference" which may be used to help understand the meaning of the use of the letter "U" for the power supply to these types of electrical equipment.
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Oh Really Please Tell Me More.JPG

Oh, I will...

The "Us" further manifest themselves throughout the Open Inverter web interface software

Open Inverter UDCing.jpg

udcmin - [pronounced: fuel tank is empty] battery pack minimum voltage the VCU will still request torque at

udcmax - [pronounced: stop over squeezing, the gas pump has clicked already and your fuel tank is full] battery pack maximum voltage the VCU will allow the battery to be regened or charged to

udclim - [pronouced: Oh Shit!] the VCU will perform a Hard Shutdown of all systems to prevent badness
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I HATE those slide on cage nuts.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, we'd like to design a device that combines the frailty of sheet metal with the frustrations of loose hardware, we introduce... slide on cage nuts. They'll be just like captive nuts, but they'll break and strip all the goddamn time and then cut you when you try to remove them.

Bane of IT server maintainers everywhere, they make their way into automotive use, to share in the misery in a tactic known as "mitigation by dispersal". Every other industry that has to suffer in addition to your own, makes it a little less awful when you have to endure it.

That said, that zombie looks like it was born there. What a fortuitous mounting arrangement. Every build gets one. I think the Zombie saw your tribute to picasso when mounting the inverter and went back in time to tell the Volkswagen engineers to put those bolts there for its own benefit. Couldn't have a more stark contrast between the convenience of the two brackets.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:12 pm I HATE those slide on cage nuts.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, we'd like to design a device that combines the frailty of sheet metal with the frustrations of loose hardware, we introduce... slide on cage nuts. They'll be just like captive nuts, but they'll break and strip all the goddamn time and then cut you when you try to remove them.

Bane of IT server maintainers everywhere, they make their way into automotive use, to share in the misery in a tactic known as "mitigation by dispersal". Every other industry that has to suffer in addition to your own, makes it a little less awful when you have to endure it.

That said, that zombie looks like it was born there. What a fortuitous mounting arrangement. Every build gets one. I think the Zombie saw your tribute to picasso when mounting the inverter and went back in time to tell the Volkswagen engineers to put those bolts there for its own benefit. Couldn't have a more stark contrast between the convenience of the two brackets.

yes, but how do you really feel?

J Clips.jpg
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

Gregski wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:38 pm why the hell does that say U=
The symbol for voltage is U - derived from the Latin urgere (to urge, drive, push). The SI unit is the volt, named after Alessandro Volta.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:12 pm I HATE those slide on cage nuts.

How many times have you been installing a heavy switch or router, struggling for several minutes to screw in a cage bolt only to hear the tinkle as the cage nut decides enough is enough, jumps out of it's mounting hole and drops down the inside of the rack never to be seen again. :(
I need a bigger hammer!
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Alibro wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:53 am How many times have you been installing a heavy switch or router, struggling for several minutes to screw in a cage bolt only to hear the tinkle as the cage nut decides enough is enough, jumps out of it's mounting hole and drops down the inside of the rack never to be seen again. :(
you mean as in you told your boss you will move that server to another rack over the weekend outside of production hours but that was before you realized Pete's bachelor party was that Friday and the boys did actually rent an RV [and Vegas is indeed only 10 hours away] and now it's Monday morning and no you are not hung over, that won't start till maybe this evening, your buddies were smart enuff to call in sick, but not you and now you're in the server room at peak login time on Monday morning alone, yes this pizza box 1U does look skinny but who knew it ran all the way down the deepest rack, is rear end heavy loaded up with 3 deep power supplies and cooling fans with square bearings, and maybe you should have unplugged it first or asked Johnson from the SharePointless team to give you a hand but no, you got two screws already in, that should hold it while you go look under the raised floor for some more ... so no, can't relate
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

P~a~r~t~s

IMG_3487.JPG
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Gregski wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:49 pm you mean as in you told your boss you will move that server to another rack over the weekend outside of production hours but that was before you realized Pete's bachelor party was that Friday and the boys did actually rent an RV [and Vegas is indeed only 10 hours away] and now it's Monday morning and no you are not hung over, that won't start till maybe this evening, your buddies were smart enuff to call in sick, but not you and now you're in the server room at peak login time on Monday morning alone, yes this pizza box 1U does look skinny but who knew it ran all the way down the deepest rack, is rear end heavy loaded up with 3 deep power supplies and cooling fans with square bearings, and maybe you should have unplugged it first or asked Johnson from the SharePointless team to give you a hand but no, you got two screws already in, that should hold it while you go look under the raised floor for some more ... so no, can't relate
So you HAVE been there too! :lol:
I need a bigger hammer!
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

VW MK1 Rabbit Electric Throttle Install

IMG_3548 labeled.jpg
IMG_3546.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

first we tried a 2010 Toyota Prius pedal to keep it in the family

IMG_3583.JPG

because of the wiggliness in the Rabbit firewall I had to make a block for an offset

IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3589.JPG

nice thing about metal is that you can weld up the holes you don't want

IMG_3592.JPG
IMG_3594.JPG
IMG_3596.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

and then I decided to go with one that [ahem] fit, as in 2010 Honda Fit

IMG_3604.JPG
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Gregski wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:57 amVW MK1 Rabbit Electric Throttle Install
The first part of this video is solid gold. I hadn't considered that you didn't just pick a bunch of pedals, you chose ones that were all different. Maybe even on purpose!

I'm going to try to get around to adding that info to the wiki somewhere, I think a lot of people could benefit from it.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

[rant]

last time my new leather gloves fell apart I knew something was off, I could have sworn I just bought them, so this time, I wrote the Born On Date on the new pair and check this out, they fell apart only one week later, or am I just working too hard and they can't keep up with my Chuck Norris like pace? what are your thoughts on parts and materials in current times ?

4-1-24 (that's Freedom format, so April 1st, 2024)

[/rant]

IMG_3619.JPG
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Gregski wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:30 pm [rant]

last time my new leather gloves fell apart I knew something was off, I could have sworn I just bought them, so this time, I wrote the Born On Date on the new pair and check this out, they fell apart only one week later, or am I just working too hard and they can't keep up with my Chuck Norris like pace? what are your thoughts on parts and materials in current times ?

4-1-24 (that's Freedom format, so April 1st, 2024)

[/rant]

IMG_3619.JPG
Time to get the needle and thread out. :lol:
I need a bigger hammer!
Ghia66

Post by Ghia66 »

Certainly not living up to the HARDY brand name!
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Ghia66 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:55 pm Certainly not living up to the HARDY brand name!
ha ha, right? more like HARDLY !
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

never too early to plan your next battery pack upgrade

so if we were to go to the 6 modules from the BMW 530e which would be 12 killer whales instead of the current 7 (provide we get one from July 2019 and up) this vertical formation would not fit behind the rear seat horizontal frame rail

IMG_3648.JPG
IMG_3650.JPG
IMG_3652.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

but if we were to fandangle them sideways like so, they fit with room to spare, and whom ever cut this current hole out got it almost nearly perfect [clairvoyant he is]

IMG_3654.JPG
IMG_3656.JPG
IMG_3658.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

while I'm literally waiting on the paint to dry I decided to have at the Zombie controlling the BMW Safety Box

IMG_3751.JPG

things weren't working, so T-Bone my trusty assistant, suggested we plug more skinny wires into the Zombie
IMG_3755.JPG

and that did the trick
IMG_3753.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

ZombieVerter VCU BMW Safety Box Control Part II

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

ZombieVerter VCU - Permanent Power Connection

This is the minimum wiring required to access the Zombie via it's Web Interface. Requires two pins. The Zombie is always "on" maybe a better term would be enabled, this is required to detect charge mode and facilitate timers.

Pin #55 - negative / ground
Pin #56 - positive / 12 volts (fuse recommended)

IMG_3806 Labeled.jpg
ZombieVerter VCU Permanent Power.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

ZombieVerter VCU - Ignition Connection

In addition to the two wires above, we need a third wire, this wire when disconnected turns the Zombie OFF. However when connected it does NOT change the mode at all, for that to change see Start Connection below.

Pin #15 - positive / 12 volts (fuse recommended)

IMG_3813 Labeled.jpg
ZombieVerter VCU Ignition.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

ZombieVerter VCU - Start Connection

In addition to the three wires above a fourth wire is needed to put the Zombie in RUN mode. This requires a momentary switch, think of turning the key in the ignition switch to the Start position and have it automatically spring back after the starter starts the engine.

Pin #52 - positive / 12 volts (fuse recommended) momentary only

IMG_3815 Labeled.jpg
ZombieVerter VCU Start.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

ZombieVerter VCU - CAN1 Connection

The Zombie supports three different CAN channels, this is the first one. It requires two wires one for CAN High signal and a second for CAN Low signal. Usually this two wire pair is twisted together aka a twisted pair. This requires two pins.

Pin #27 - CAN Low will run from the Zombie to some CAN device (Charger, Safety Box, etc.)
Pin #28 - CAN High will run from the Zombie to some CAN device (Charger, Safety Box, etc.)

IMG_3804 Labeled.jpg
ZombieVerter VCU CAN 1.jpg