Tesla Model 3 Battery Alerts

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
Atrixium

Tesla Model 3 Battery Alerts

Post by Atrixium »

Hi all, I'm looking for some help with a Tesla Model 3 battery pack I'm working on, it came from a working vehicle, but it's giving me alerts now that I have the pack reassembled.

The pack was dismantled, the modules stacked and the BMS wires were repaired with twisted pair cable due to damaged connectors. It might also be relevant that we're using a penthouse from a different pack with the HV controller and PCS swapped with the ones that match the modules.

We're using the EV Controls TBC controller to interface with the pack and we're seeing the following alerts that seem bad:

BMS_a050_SW_Brick_Voltage_MIA
BMS_a081_SW_Ctr_Close_Blocked
BMS_a099_SW_BMB_Communication
BMS_a107_SW_Stack_Voltage_MIA

We recently found and corrected an issue where two adjacent bonding wires for brick voltage sensing were shorted and blew a trace on the FPC of one module, but that was corrected and now all 96 bricks (0 through 95) are showing correct voltages (3.85V), which makes me wonder why the above alerts are being generated. I haven't been able to find any info on what the stack voltage is or where it might be being measured and I don't see how we can have a brick voltage being MIA when we have 96 values showing OK.

If anyone has any insights, I would greatly appreciate the help!
Atrixium

Re: Tesla Model 3 Battery Alerts

Post by Atrixium »

Update! Turns out the alerts were a red herring, the actual problem was that I was doing my testing with the penthouse lid open, which meant I needed to short the two bolt holes on the HV controller connector to get the contacters to close! https://openinverter.org/wiki/File:M3_HVS_Pinout.jpg