L210 gearbox

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
ToxaKartoxa

Re: L210 gearbox

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

tom91 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:22 pm Latest merge into the STM32_VCU now allows more power from a 300h gearbox and inverter combination. It was being limited by the fixed values.
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32-vcu
This is good news! Although I already found the “discharge ability of battery” parameter myself, but thank you very much for the “regen ability of battery” :D
tom91

Post by tom91 »

ToxaKartoxa wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:59 pm This is good news! Although I already found the “discharge ability of battery” parameter myself, but thank you very much for the “regen ability of battery” :D
Are you sharing your findings online?
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
ToxaKartoxa

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

Here is the result of my experiments and observations, if anyone is interested :) .
When power is applied to the inverter, I immediately write to it a data packet of 105 bytes in size like this:
16 byte = 4 - complete shutdown of power to transistors MG1, free run-out of the rotor.
42 byte = 4 - complete shutdown of power to transistors MG2, free run-out of the rotor.
16 byte = 8 - short circuit to the rotor windings MG1 (all three lower IGBT transistors are open).
44 byte = 1 - short circuit to the rotor windings MG2 (all three lower IGBT transistors are open).
76 byte = 4 - the upper IGBT transistor in the Boost IPM block is closed.
76 byte = 1 - the upper IGBT transistor in the Boost IPM block is open.
If 86 byte = 0, and 76 byte = 4 and change the value in byte 76 from 4 to 1, then for a split second the lower IGBT in the Boost IPM block will open, which, when powered by a 12V 3A laboratory power supply, leads to a voltage surge of up to 100V. If 86 byte = 1, then the lower IGBT transistor does not open and there is no voltage surge from the inductor. The upper IGBT transistor simply opens.
92 low byte 93 high byte affects the speed limit (I don’t know how to explain, but I’ll try). If I set 92+93 bytes = 90, then this is the best option for my gearbox; if 92+93 bytes > 100, then the motor rotor accelerates and, when reaching the maximum speed, stops abruptly, which results in a sharp jump in voltage and reverse current. Dangerous for the inverter. If 92+93 bytes < 90, then the maximum speed is reduced; if you reduce the value of this bytes down to 0, then the speed is 0.
94 byte, 3 bit = 1 - my engine works a little better, if 3 bit = 0, then a little worse, other bits have no effect. It also affects the voltage surge when the value of byte 76 changes from 4 to 1. If 3 bit = 1, then the voltage surge is smaller.
81 low byte 82 high byte - 2000 is written for my reducer.
90 byte, 7 bit = 1 - other bits have no effect, allows working with an inverter.
16 byte = 32 - looks like MG1 rotor retention (handbrake), but I'm not sure (I have the gearbox lying on the floor).
42 byte = 32 - looks like MG2 rotor retention. The hold depends on the value of 92+93 bytes.
All other bytes are 0. Except for the torque control bytes MG1, MG2 and the checksum.
Attachments
Инвертер+двигун.jpg
ToxaKartoxa

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

A few more observations:
Engine power - received revolutions
100V 0.55A 55W - 1050 rpm
50V 2.55A 130W - 1050 rpm
This is precisely why I am so eager to launch the boost DC-DC (Boost Converter) built into the inverter.
And this is my debugging program :lol: (Delphi7).
Attachments
Прога.PNG
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

ToxaKartoxa wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:15 pm Hi all! I bought a Toyota Crown inverter, an L210 gearbox and a Toyota Harrier gear reducer. To begin with, I connected a Toyota Harrier gear reducer to the inverter at home in order to debug the control of the inverter using its native interface. In addition to the parameters and variables specified in the ZombieVerter sources, I found the modes of free run-out of the rotor, short-circuit on the rotor, amperage of motor phases, rotor position, limitation of maximum revolutions. I can’t find any way to set the resolver correction angle. Is it really necessary to adjust the sensor on the engine manually? Who knows whether the resolver angle parameters are hardwired from the factory into the inverter itself, or when the car’s ignition is turned on, the ECU itself sends these parameters to it?
If you incorrectly adjust the resolver angle, then in addition to loss of torque and asymmetrical forward/backward operation of the motor, you can also burn out the inverter.
Did you overcome the directional ,difference fwd and rev,
Interested in how this worked out.?
ToxaKartoxa

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

Woodfie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:11 am Did you overcome the directional ,difference fwd and rev,
Interested in how this worked out.?
I have not yet overcome the difference in forward/backward directions. Part of the solution to the problem is that I give more electrical current when moving backwards. Here is an example: when moving forward, the current value is 390 and the rpm is 2430, when moving backward, the current value is 550 and the rpm is 2380. Power supply is 100V and 3A. In this case, the starting moment is greater when moving backward, but the maximum speed is greater when moving forward. My conclusion is that the resolver sensor is slightly unsymmetrical and needs to be corrected either programmatically or mechanically. I could not find any explicit control registers for the resolver angle shift, nor the ability to activate the Boost Converter. If only someone could provide me with a log from the HTM bus from the moment of startup to acceleration to the maximum speed. Actually, my L210 is sitting in the garage waiting for me to fully learn how to control the inverter at home using this small gearbox. I bought an L210 for $98, an inverter for $52 and a small gearbox for $43. I don't mind spending money on experiments.
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

ToxaKartoxa wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:32 am I have not yet overcome the difference in forward/backward directions. Part of the solution to the problem is that I give more electrical current when moving backwards. Here is an example: when moving forward, the current value is 390 and the rpm is 2430, when moving backward, the current value is 550 and the rpm is 2380. Power supply is 100V and 3A. In this case, the starting moment is greater when moving backward, but the maximum speed is greater when moving forward. My conclusion is that the resolver sensor is slightly unsymmetrical and needs to be corrected either programmatically or mechanically. I could not find any explicit control registers for the resolver angle shift,
Is the Q211 that I think you are using , as free to turn with no HV power in each direction ?
I have one with a " wobbling" output flange on one side, which the mechanic I got it from said was not uncommon. Wonder if something mechanical in the reduction is affecting the higher amp current value for reverse.
That is a good price on the inverter, locally in Nz, the price is nz$3K, and scarce... where did you source yours from.?

BTW, I had an importer help to get an L210 gearbox for me, I sourced from a Japan site at a low price of nz$220,
But much todo, japanese clearances, US$500 to get a crate made, shipping, and another dozen clips of the ticket and then gst,
Landed at a rather horrid Nz$2700, Ugghh..
Hence I unfortunately don't have a Gs300h inverter, and have been experimentally using a Prius inverter zvw30 as that I could source locally, on some experimental tests last year.
ToxaKartoxa

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

Woodfie wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:09 pm Is the Q211 that I think you are using , as free to turn with no HV power in each direction ?
I have one with a " wobbling" output flange on one side, which the mechanic I got it from said was not uncommon. Wonder if something mechanical in the reduction is affecting the higher amp current value for reverse.
That is a good price on the inverter, locally in Nz, the price is nz$3K, and scarce... where did you source yours from.?

BTW, I had an importer help to get an L210 gearbox for me, I sourced from a Japan site at a low price of nz$220,
But much todo, japanese clearances, US$500 to get a crate made, shipping, and another dozen clips of the ticket and then gst,
Landed at a rather horrid Nz$2700, Ugghh..
Hence I unfortunately don't have a Gs300h inverter, and have been experimentally using a Prius inverter zvw30 as that I could source locally, on some experimental tests last year.
2700 for delivery is terrible! For our delivery services, a box (sheathing) costs $5 (no joke). I bought my gearboxes and inverters (I have two GS300h inverters) from a dismantling shop in Vladivostok. Delivery of two inverters, a radiator and L210 for about $47, I took Q211 separately with delivery for $23. Cars from Japan come to our country for spare parts. Boxes from hybrids and their inverters cost pennies, because... They are a very reliable unit and therefore the demand for them is minimal, which cannot be said about the elements of the body and interior of the car. There is a great demand for them, which is why they are bought for disassembly, and the remainder is sold at the price of the metal. If a car in Japan was driven along the salty coast, then the parts on it looked the same as the ones I bought :) . Everything is corroded and rusty. If a Japanese car has driven in town and never seen salt, then its shiny parts cost twice as much. My Q211 gearbox has minimal gear wear, there were no chips in it, and the axle shaft seals are in excellent condition. So the reason is still in the resolver. To get speeds above 2400 rpm from this gearbox, I need to activate DC-DC and then I can spin it up to 15,000 rpm (in fact, 10,000 rpm is enough for me :D ). I plan to use a 120 cell LTO battery.
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

Yes the Boost would be very helpful.. if it could be used.
Could it be set up for best efficiency or effectiveness in the fwd direction,? There maybe other Q211 users, or trials that have been done.
ToxaKartoxa

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

Woodfie wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:19 pm Yes the Boost would be very helpful.. if it could be used.
Could it be set up for best efficiency or effectiveness in the fwd direction,? There maybe other Q211 users, or trials that have been done.
There is one person on a Russian-speaking forum about electric vehicles who has been studying Toyota’s hybrid technologies since 2011. He recently wrote that he already knows how to control inverters from 2015 and he knows how to activate Boost, but does not respond to my requests for help. I don’t know what conditions are needed for activation, I tried to deceive the inverter by changing the resistive dividers so that it would think that the operating voltage on the battery is 230V (I found out that the maximum it shows is up to 460V). No results. At work I made a small electrical board on mega88, according to the plan it will control PWM, watch the HV and listen to the HTM line (via this line I will control this small electrical board, because there are a lot of empty fields in the control data packet). I hope the idea will end in success, if anything, I have a spare inverter :lol: .
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

Good work there..
Have been wondering which empty fields may control the boost.
Have a GS450H in a car ,been domicile that could be set up to sniff, but is a different packet count, so not much GS300h help for this.
ToxaKartoxa

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

I glued the litl board, soldered the wires, put together a test code (PWM 20 kHz, 50% duty cycle, dead time 1.75 μs) and eventually Boost worked :D . I think this weekend I’ll update the code to a working version.
Attachments
Работает.jpg
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

That's Great News, is this the 300h inverter?
ToxaKartoxa

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

Yes, this is a Toyota Crown (300h) inverter. My Q211 with a power supply of 100V and 3A (300W) spun up to 2400 rpm, when Boost is activated I accelerate the HV to 200V and with the same consumption from the power supply of 300W I spun the gearbox to 3000 rpm, at 170V and 300W to 3200 rpm. I overclocked the HV to 650V, I'm afraid to raise it higher. But as you can conclude from the data I provided, the power of the power supply is not enough to turn the gearbox at such a voltage.
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

Have ordered a Crown inverter , not sure how long the lead time is. Would be interested to know how to utilize the boost, if you could describe in a consise simple way.
Thanks
ToxaKartoxa

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

Once I finish debugging the code, I will provide information: where to connect, circuit, firmware and how to control the modification through the inverter’s native interface.
ToxaKartoxa

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

I completed the code for my inverter booster control board from Toyota Crown.
Implementation on the ATMEGA168PA-AU microcontroller, 16 MHz quartz resonator, code written in assembler.
This device is capable of stably maintaining output voltage up to 3.9x the input voltage. Operating frequency PWM 20 kHz. Feedback on the output voltage is implemented by turning on and off PWM with a decision frequency of ~10 kHz, as well as control of the PWM duty cycle on the input voltage in the range from 7.5 to 75%. Control is implemented through the native inverter interface. To do this, I used the unnecessary data field (6 bytes wide) of the management package (which is 105 bytes in size). Byte counting from zero. The 50th byte is responsible for enabling PWM. If it is equal to 1, then PWM is working. If it is 0, then it does not work and the upper IGBT transistor is closed, which prevents the back EMF from getting back into the battery and this can lead to an increase in the output voltage above the critical one and to failure of the inverter! To prevent this from happening, you need to write 3 into the 50th byte, then the upper IGBT transistor will open and the inverter will operate in normal mode without a booster, when the input voltage is equal to the output voltage and the back EMF is seamlessly absorbed by the battery. But if you open this transistor when the input voltage is high and the output voltage is zero, then the inverter may fail! The opposite is also true, if the output capacitor is charged to a very high voltage, and the input is several times less than the output and you open the upper IGBT, then this can also lead to failure of the inverter! The output voltage is set using the 51st (lo) and 52nd (hi) bytes. The conversion factor is approximately 1.4. That is, you need to multiply the desired voltage by 1.4 and write it into this register. The number is a positive integer from 0 to 1023 (that is, the maximum voltage is ~730 volts). Next comes the 53rd byte, the recovery voltage. I got 26 volts at voltages up to 470 volts; I have not tested at higher voltages at the moment. At higher voltages this value may be greater. It is calculated using the same formula as the output voltage. The maximum value is 255 (that is, 182 volts). Bytes 54th (lo) and 55th (hi) are the sum of the previous 4 bytes; it is used to control data integrity. The archive contains the firmware, source code, board layout, where all the contacts are labeled (file "PWM Boostera NEW.lay"), and the board from the photo is the file "PWM Boostera OLD.lay". Also in the archive are photographs of the inverter board with my comments on what to connect and where.

Доделал код для своей платы управления бустером инвертора от Toyota Crown.
Реализация на микроконтроллере ATMEGA168PA-AU, кварцевый резонатор 16МГц, код написан на ассемблере.
Это устройство способно стабильно держать выходное напряжение вплоть до 3,9x от входного. Рабочая частота ШИМ 20кГц. Реализована обратная связь по выходному напряжению методом включения и выключения ШИМ с частотой принятия решения ~10кГц, а так же контроль скважности ШИМ по входному напряжению в пределах от 7,5 до 75%. Управление реализовано через родной интерфейс инвертора. Для этого я воспользовался не нужным полем данных (шириной 6 байт) пакета управления (размер которого 105 байт). Отсчёт байт от нулевого. 50й байт отвечает за включение ШИМ. Если он равен 1, то ШИМ работает. Если он равен 0, то не работает и верхний IGBT транзистор закрыт, что не дает обратному ЭДС попасть обратно в аккумулятор и это может привести к превышению выходного напряжения выше критического и к выходу из строя инвертора! Что бы этого не произошло, в 50й байт нужно записать 3, тогда верхний IGBT транзистор откроется и инвертор будет работать в штатном режиме без бустера, когда напряжение входное равно выходному и обратная ЭДС беспрепятственно поглощается аккумулятором. Но если открыть этот транзистор, когда входящее напряжение высокое, а выходное равно нулую, то инвертор может выйти из строя! Так же справедливо обратное, если выходной конденсатор зарядился до очень большого напряжение, а входное в разы меньше выходного и вы откроете верхний IGBT, то это так же может привести к выходу из строя инвертора! Выходное напряжение задается с помощью 51го (lo) и 52го (hi) байтов. Коэффициент пересчета примерно 1,4. То есть нужно желаемое напряжение умножить на 1,4 и записать в этот регистр. Число целое, положительное от 0 до 1023 (то есть максимальное напряжение ~730 вольт). Далее идет 53й байт напряжение рекуперации. У меня получилось 26 вольт при напряжениях до 470 вольт, при более высоких напряжениях на данный момент не тестировал. При более высоких напряжениях это значение может быть больше. Пересчитывается по той же формуле, что и выходное напряжение. Максимальное значение 255 (то есть 182 вольта). Байты 54й (lo) и 55й (hi) это сумма предыдущих 4 байта, по ней контролируется целостность данных. В архиве прошивка, исходный код, разводка платы, где подписаны все контакты (файл "PWM Boostera NEW.lay"), а плата с фотографии это файт "PWM Boostera OLD.lay". Так же в архиве лежат фотографии платы инвертора с моими комментариями, что и куда подключать.
Attachments
R518.jpg
низ.png
верх.png
BIG_PWM_for_Toyota_Crown.rar
(6.12 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

That is amazing progress. Very impressive what you have shown. Thank you for sharing , I would like to be able to apply this, once I understand it better and develop some new skills to cope. At present my skills are not there.
ToxaKartoxa

Post by ToxaKartoxa »

I forgot to mention about removing two resistors R134 and R135 from the inverter board. A week ago, an oscilloscope came to me and foolishly hooked its probe to the inverter board and burned the inverter and my PC :D . I just repaired everything. Batteries should arrive by summer.
Attachments
R134_R135_DELETE.PNG
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

Sorry to hear of your Oops accident.. Bother..