[DRIVING] 2012 Coda

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
nickyivyca

[DRIVING] 2012 Coda

Post by nickyivyca »

If you don't know what a Coda is, they were a failed EV startup that was making a factory EV conversion of a Chinese car and they sold 117 cars only here in California before the company went out of business.

I picked this one up off of Craigslist recently for $2750 from the original owner, who was selling because its range had degraded to about 8 miles. He gave me this ad from the newspaper that apparently tempted him to buy it. The Coda indeed was technologically quite solid; it had a larger battery than the Leafs of its time, which was actively heated and cooled, 100kW UQM drivetrain, and it had 6kW charging from the start.
PXL_20240318_081500514 rot.jpg
I tried my hand at making a video about it and what state it's in.

Why the heck did I buy one of these? Well, my my 914 isn't really drivable in the winter even here in California - it doesn't handle rain well, it doesn't have a heater, and it's particularly lacking in safety features. I had been thinking about how my next project would be something a bit more modern, but the idea of doing that from scratch seemed daunting. But then this came up on Craigslist earlier this winter, and I realized I could shortcut all the way to having that project for probably much less money and effort than it would take to put it all together myself, and then I could modify it from there if there's anything I wanted to add.

The range issue seems to not be a dead cell, but a bad BMS, specifically the balance channels. There are 2 cells (in the white quadrant) that are way higher than the rest of the pack, both when it's fully charged and fully discharged (fully discharged is indicated around 85% on the dash). So I think those balance channels have failed and let those 2 cells drift above the rest of the pack over time. If that's the case I can drop the pack, swap the BMS module, and then manually balance those 2 cells down, and I should be able to get the rest of the pack's capacity back.

Fully charged cell voltage view (Coda uses iron phosphate batteries):
2024-03-12.png
Fully discharged battery cell view:
2024-03-12 (2).png
Other issues with the car:
  • Traction control light is on. I'm thinking this is a wheelspeed sensor since the light only lights up when the car starts moving. ABS on the fronts seems to be working fine, haven't dug much further into this.
    My car does has some significant delay in the throttle response, in the Coda documentation I've gotten ahold of it seems that traction control problems may push the car into some sort of limp mode which could explain the throttle response. I also talked to another Coda owner who said his Coda doesn't have that delay, so I know it's not a normal Coda thing.
  • TPMS light is on - likely because the sensors are the original sensors, and their batteries have died. You need the Coda dealer dongle tool to flash new sensors in there, which I can rent from Thunderstruck EV.
  • Driver side mirror is held on with a zip tie.
  • Key fobs don't work
  • Right side secondary brake light is out (seems to have ingested water)
  • Left passenger door will unlock but not lock (seems mechanical, as I can see it nudge when I lock the doors)
  • Sunglasses holder latch failed
  • Air conditioning not working, completely empty of refrigerant
I haven't even really fixed many of the issues yet, but even with the limited range it's already been quite a useful car to have around - I've already put over 200 miles on it zipping around town since it's great for most of my day to day driving.

As for modifications once I fix the above issues, I want to start digging into the CANbusses on the car and see if I can make a new VCU for it, probably based off ZombieVerter but with the same connectors as in the Coda so it's a drop in replacement. This may become less of an issue once I can fix traction control, but I don't like the throttle dynamics, the Coda still has creep mode like an automatic transmission car, I'd rather have more of a one pedal driving feel here.
Maybe if I end up really liking it and I can get enough spare parts to keep it running I'll build a new battery with more modern high capacity cells and DC fast charging.

Speaking of spare parts, another one of these just popped up on Craigslist.
nickyivyca

Re: [DRIVING] 2012 Coda

Post by nickyivyca »

So I've dug into a bunch of the issues on this car. I went up to Thunderstruck Motors, who used to maintain Codas (the previous owner of this car trailered it there a couple times), but don't anymore, but they still sell parts and rent out a few dealer diagnostic tools they have on hand. I picked up the diagnostic tool and a replacement secondary brake light while I was up there.

The diagnostic tool appears to be a custom version of the Omitec Omicheck tool - I hoped to find more information on the generic version, but didn't really find much information online, except for this page, though not much useful information here. All CANbusses on the car are broken out to the OBD connector (some on nonstandard pins) but this appears to only talk over the 'normal' OBD connector CAN pins to the Gateway module (red box) which then forwards all that to the rest of the car.
can_topology.JPG
The traction control light turned out to be caused by the Gateway module actually - the ABS/traction control module was throwing a 'VIN mismatch' code, and it turned out that the Gateway module had the wrong VIN programmed into it. The scanner has a function to reprogram the VIN into the gateway module, but I couldn't get this to work - seemed to want the gateway to be new to the car or something. I tried replacing the EEPROM chip on the inside of the gateway module but this did not make it think it was new to the car either.
PXL_20240417_055106609.jpg
I ended up getting a new gateway module from Thunderstruck on a later order - swapping this into the car, it picked up the correct VIN and removed the light from the dash, even without me having to reprogram it. Still have no idea where it picked up the correct VIN from or what was wrong with my original gateway module.

This didn't fix the throttle delay issue though. Still has about a second delay from pressing my foot down to torque applied on the motor unless it's already applying torque, either while in creep mode or increasing the torque. Not sure yet if this is normal for Codas. Either way I don't like it.

Eventually I think fixing this will be the first modification to this car - The drivetrain control module (DLCM in the diagram above) that controls the inverter does a lot of different things and I don't want to have to replace it entirely - all of its the CAN messages for the UQM inverter are pretty well known, so I figure I might be able to use a Zombieverter with all 3 of its CAN ports, forward messages between the DLCM and the inverter, and then sit on the driveline CAN bus with the third bus port to get the raw throttle pedal data and maybe any other safety data coming from the rest of the car (traction control, brake switch, etc).

For the keys not working, the radio control unit (which does key fobs and immobilizer, and also TPMS - key fobs and TPMS both run at 433mhz), just seems to be frigged. The solder joints are quite poor on the 433mhz module on the board, but touching these up didn't fix the ability to receive key data. Hopefully I can just get a working radio module - if not maybe I can get a broken one and dig into it deeper and not worry about breaking the whole thing and then immobilizing my car...
PXL_20240327_050548517.jpg
This scary red light comes on on the dash sometimes. I hadn't really been able to trace it to exactly when it comes on, but lately it's happened a couple times and it seems to have always aligned when I have the heater on. The manual says when this light turns on to pull over and contact Coda, but no codes come up on the diagnostic tool related to it, I figure maybe some sort of isolation warning? It generally has always gone away when I shut the car off and turn it back on - except for one time when I still left the heater on after key cycling.
PXL_20240122_061613820.jpg
Small stuff:
  • When I ordered the gateway module, I also ordered a couple replacement BMS modules. There's a local EV shop I've been talking to about bringing the Coda there, just have been trying to fix up some of the other issues with it and finish the upgrades I started on the 914 before getting distracted by the Coda before I take it there.
  • Fixed the sunglass holder latch
  • Fixed the secondary brake light
  • I broke the left side passenger door handle trying to figure out what's wrong with the lock actuator, it still works to open the door though
  • The trunk actuator has stopped working (the first thing to break on the Coda since I bought it that wasn't my fault!)
marcexec

Re: [DRIVING] 2012 Coda

Post by marcexec »

nickyivyca wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:23 am but lately it's happened a couple times and it seems to have always aligned when I have the heater on.
Maybe the 12V system is browning out? Read about this on Zoes: https://www.speakev.com/threads/check-e ... tem.17154/
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto