[WIP] Citroen Saxo Electrique

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
manny

[WIP] Citroen Saxo Electrique

Post by manny »

Bought a Saxo electrique december of 2018 with a burned collector on the dc motor.
20191020_175321.jpg
Original:
  • Motor: Leroy-somer SA-13 11kW (20kW max) separately excited dc motor
  • Batteries: SAFT STM 5-100 nickel-cadmium 20x6V 120V nominal
  • Controler: 200A dc with 11A for excitation
  • Charger: 3kW (integrated in Controller)
  • DCDC: 14.1V 70A (integrated in Controller)
  • Heater: Webasto Thermo Top gasoline 5kW
  • Power steering: electro hydraulic
  • Power brakes: vacuumpomp with vacuum switch
Current:
  • Motor: MES-dea AC induction 42kW (from a Peugeot Partner Venturi)
  • Batteries: LEV-50 2p44s (from a Peugeot ION)
  • Controler: MES-dea TIM600 (original controller bypassed)
  • Charger: original (changed settings)
  • DCDC: original
  • Heater: original
  • Power steering: original
  • Power brakes: MES-dea vacuumpomp
Plans:
  • Motor: Volvo V60 phev 50Kw viewtopic.php?t=3859
  • Batteries: Peugeot E208 battery pack 108S viewtopic.php?t=2465
  • Controler: Volvo XC90 with Openinverter pcb/software viewtopic.php?t=3675
  • Charger: Audi e-tron 11kw 3 phase (MG ZS 7.2kW backup plan)
  • DCDC: Integrated in Controller (have this working at 13.5V possibly adjustable)
  • Heater: Not sure maybe a leaf heater because I have one
  • Power steering: Opel Corsa powered steering column
  • Power brakes: i-booster form a Toyota Yaris
  • Fast charging: 50kW CCS
So this is not a conversion but more and upgrade. The goal is for me to be able to sell the gasoline saxo I still have for the longer distance trips.

Over the last year I have bought all parts listed, connectors, pins and wire. At this moment I have the first version of the BMS pcb working on the E208 battery, the first version of the pcb with Openinverter running the XC90 controller and spinning the motor. Have a ZombieVerter VCU to control this mismatch of parts.

Currently designing the battery boxes. One in the back unter the car with 10 modules. It is a tight fit but I think it will fit. And one in the front with 8 modules.
Accu bak Achter.PNG
manny

Re: [WIP] Citroen Saxo Electrique

Post by manny »

Got two weeks off work. So i could make some progress.

First removed the motor, inerter, vacuumpomp, driveshafts, battery boxes, electronics box, 12V battery and the heater.

Next, see if the Volvo motor will fit. Happy to report that it does. I have flipped the motor around so that the mounting holes line up better.

At the rear of the motor I mounted two rubber mounts normally used for the lower control arm. used a length of 20mm round bar turned down the ends to fit in the rubbers and a M12 thread on the end. Cut a piece of steel box section to bolt to the motor and welded to the round bar.
rear mount
rear mount
On the front of the motor another two lower control arm rubbers are mounted to the cross brace. Made a plate to mount the motor to the rubbers. The lower control arm rubbers have a 17mm bore that is not a standard bolt size so a made a set of bolts on the lathe with a M12 on the end.
lower control arm rubbers
lower control arm rubbers
frond mount
frond mount
Of course the drive shaft do not fit. Got a set of drive shafts with the V60 motor. Ordered a pair of new SKF drive shafts for the Saxo. Cut them and welded them together. I am not sure if I run with the welded drive shafts or get a set made. The previous set up had welded drive shafts that lasted 50.000 km.
drive shafts
drive shafts
From top to bottom: Saxo drive shaft, my hack job, Volvo drive shaft.

20240413_130732.jpg
It is a tight fit but it's in. I am very happy that it fits and I have enough space for the battery box.