Brake Pressure Transducer (Model S )...Regen Recomended?

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
ardillolambo

Brake Pressure Transducer (Model S )...Regen Recomended?

Post by ardillolambo »

Hi There,
Pardon my ignorance...I will assume that brake pressure transducer isn't mandatory with OI board, but will be needed if I want to do regen. I was looking on-line but there isn't too much information about it out there. My car is not intended to be a daily driver.

Do you guys recommend regen for my application?
If so, which sensor is the most common used?
where you guys are putting this brake pressure transducer?

Regards,
jrbe

Re: Brake Pressure Transducer (Model S )...Regen Recomended?

Post by jrbe »

For energy recovery you want regen to happen without mechanical brakes, so I'd skip the brake pressure sensor route if that's yourv main goal.
If it's drivability with some regen the brake pressure sender could make sense but it will likely be tough to balance regen with mechanical brakes in a smooth combination of the 2.

On the brake pedal you could do something like a throttle position sensor, suspension height sensor, Honda cable throttle position sensor, linear position sensor, etc. it really depends on what fits and your preference. You could increase the brake pedal free play some usually to give a bit more of a window of operation before mechanical brakes kick in. But the same hard to balance regen and mechanical brakes applies here.

A lot of people just use the throttle pedal as the regen.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Exactly, absolute minimum requirement for regen is ... a throttle pedal :) (regentravel, offthrotregen)

One level up is a brake pedal switch which you should have anyway, for safety. The switch can be programmed to give you some more regen than just off-pedal. (brakeregen)

Next level up is indeed a brake pedal position sensor. It can be set up in a way (in software) that the first x percent of brake pedal increase regen from off-pedal to maximum. Blending with the disc brakes is then a tuning thing. It steals the second throttle input, so if you want to retain that you need...

... the CAN bus.

I have it set up like that. When touching the brakes regen becomes stronger and as the pads start to rub against the discs I have already reached maximum regen. Then the discs actually step in. I haven't set up off-pedal regen too strong because a) the brake light doesn't come on and b) I want the discs to be cleaned from time to time
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
ardillolambo

Post by ardillolambo »

Guys thanks for the valuable info, looks like I'll stick with the brake switch for now