Rear SDU on foc?

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
nathaniel

Rear SDU on foc?

Post by nathaniel »

Hi,
I'm working om my second conversation, because it's addictive 8-) but anyway this time i want to go a bit faster do a Tesla unit it is. I ordered a board from the shop and put it in the inverter. Everything went well and after some first testing of the basic functions i noticed that there was sine firmware in the board. A quick search learned me that all the Tesla units with oi are running on sine. But my first conversion is running on foc firmware and i thought that foc was superieur to sine so i was a bit confused why that is. So my question is why are the Tesla Motors nog running on foc firmware? I have the small rear unit so as far as I know it's a permanent magnet motor?
And don't we leave some performance on the table by not using foc?

Btw the board from the shop was super easy to setup, it just works so that is super nice. I was fully prepared for the foc tuning dance :lol:
johu
Site Admin

Re: Rear SDU on foc?

Post by johu »

nathaniel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:53 pm I have the small rear unit so as far as I know it's a permanent magnet motor?
No, all "older" Model S/X are using async motors.
nathaniel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:53 pm And don't we leave some performance on the table by not using foc?
Maybe some, but hard to tell without being able to compare
nathaniel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:53 pm Btw the board from the shop was super easy to setup, it just works so that is super nice
Cool, nice to hear :)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

Thx for the fast response and explanation.
So a async motor we don't use the foc, only for permanent magnet motors?
catphish

Post by catphish »

nathaniel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:20 pm Thx for the fast response and explanation.
So a async motor we don't use the foc, only for permanent magnet motors?
Correct. FOC is (probably) superior, but extremely difficult to implement on an async (induction) motors. Openinverter only supports FOC on permanent magnet motors. Don't worry though, you can get plenty out of an induction motor with the sine firmware.