DC Direct EV charger - DIY Build

Tell us about your renewable energy project
jakepusateri

DC Direct EV charger - DIY Build

Post by jakepusateri »

I want to build a DC direct EV charger. Not because it's practical, but because I think it'd be fun. I know people are working on commercial versions, but there's no fun in waiting around, and they all want to lock you in to their ecosystem.

Other reasons include off-grid resilience and better efficiency by not going DC->AC->DC. Or imagine an EV charging station in the middle of some area that you can't run big power to. Panels are getting cheaper by the day. Or even bringing your solar panels with you like the guy doing a solar cannonball right now (or The Martian).

Here's the high-level plan:
Power board - High voltage synchronous buck/boost MPPT charge controller (e.g. 500v, 30a). This will make it very efficient to convert to the ~400V of most EVs (like my Model Y). I haven't found anything like this that exists voltage-wise, so will be designing my own, mostly following the several existing designs and sourcing components rated for the higher voltages.
Control board - Pi CM4 running Everest open source EV charger software. This will handle speaking CCS to the car and high-level communication like wifi and data logging.
The boards will talk over some protocol, tbd between CAN, SPI, MOD, I2C. This will help the power board focus on being safe and not blowing things up or starting fires with up to 15kW of power since there's a full embedded linux on the other board, and a RTOS linux is not.

Optional Features that should be possible but are not immediate focus:
- passthrough to normal inverter when not charging car
- bidirectional from car (though this should work going to the mppt input of an existing inverter, like my 18kPV)

I've done a bunch of research in the past month and the idea just won't leave my brain. I took a few hardware classes in college, but I'm mostly a software guy. Anyone who wants to help would be appreciated. I'm planning on making the whole thing open source, and I'll try to keep this thread updated as well.

I'm new to this forum, so if anyone is already doing something like this, I'd love to hear about it / work with them.
moebelschmitt

Re: DC Direct EV charger - DIY Build

Post by moebelschmitt »

Hi,
I'm interested in this subject and submitted it.
Here's what I've found so far on YT:

Best Peter
1962 SAAB 96 electric conversion project
instagram.com/moebelschmitt
www.möbelschmitt.de
DkubusEV

Re: DC Direct EV charger - DIY Build

Post by DkubusEV »

Just thinking out loud here, (I could be completely off target) but I'm wondering if you could use a regular 48V nom solar tracking converter thing with its output running into the gs450h or Camry regular battery input (the one that is normally used in the hybrid use) and then utilising its buck boost functionality make it charge the traction pack? This would "possibly" be a great solution for vehicles that have the gs450h inverter running their motor already.... again I'm following along with great interest in what unfolds, I'm probably not going to put big solar panels on any of my conversions however plugging in to my home solar output would be great
1998 Mercedes R170 SLK gs450h project
2003 Smart-Roadster hillclimb EV (DC)zilla2k
1976 Purvis-Eureka EV kit car
2011 Ford focus EV (DC)Soliton1
1990 Daihatsu charade G100 3 door DC conversion.