Toyota Auris and Yaris Inverter Logic board

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
chentron

Re: Toyota Auris and Yaris Inverter Logic board

Post by chentron »

Do you think this inverter could handle a outlander rear motor ?
Is there any estimate of the amps and voltage it can support?
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

It's fine with normal EV voltages around 400v. I can get 450A from it with my outlander front motor. This is phase amps.

I've paralleled mg1 and mg2 but this makes little difference in practice. Pete has mentioned that he thinks the current sensors are clipping so cannot read more than 450A without modification that I've not yet got to trying.
The rear motor will be fine also, and give more torque per amp.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

This is my first openinverter board and I have a few questions about them. I have a newer auris/yaris board here V2 Block IV (bought in 2023 from evbmw) came with ESP8266 Wifi module and I found out that it had already openinverter web page installed. Do you think the stm32 is also programmed? I soldered missing connectors already onto the board and I noticed that one chip IC14 is missing? I couldn't find it on github circuit diagrams so should this pad be empty?
Attachments
IMG_7822.JPG
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

It's in the power supply section of the schematic, MAX735CSA+. It generates a -5V supply from +5V input, I am not sure if it is needed or not.
bexander

Post by bexander »

The -5V is needed to run the inverter correctly so the IC14 need be populated.
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

bexander wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:32 am The -5V is needed to run the inverter correctly so the IC14 need be populated.
IMG_7904.JPG
Thank you for clearing that out. I ordered that IC from mouser (was only available there) and soldered it onto the board and it worked right away, generated the -5V!
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

What should I do now? I see the inverter homepage but no parametres? Is there a guide on how to continue, that I haven't seen? I have seen videos about programming the boards that are ordered directly from JLCPCB then one needs to program all the chips and wifi module but I bought it from EVBMW and I have heard or read that it's preprogrammed well seems like it isn't I'll add a clip here what I see from the web interface.

chentron

Post by chentron »

looks you still did not upload the sketch data.
... - select tools/ESP8266 sketch data upload and wait for the board to reset ...

see here the message from arber:
viewtopic.php?t=8
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

Is the code running on the STM32? I assume this is similar to other boards and has a LED that flashes when the code is running. If code is running then check the WiFi module is fitted correctly. That is all that is needed, but you may have to reload the web page or click on refresh in the web interface to get parameters to display.
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

royhen99 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:47 am Is the code running on the STM32? If code is running then check the WiFi module is fitted correctly. That is all that is needed, but you may have to reload the web page or click on refresh in the web interface to get parameters to display.
Led is blinking so I think that some code is making it to blink.
Well is it possible that web page is displayed when ESP8266 mini D1 ESP wasn't fitted right? I don't think so, I pressed the refresh many times, no change. Do I need to change wifi settings or something or do I need to connect a jumper or where to find the reason I'm not seeing the numbers that everyone else sees?
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

chentron wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:38 pm looks you still did not upload the sketch data.
... - select tools/ESP8266 sketch data upload and wait for the board to reset ...
what is the sketch data? Is it for the D1 mini ESP wifi module? It has wifi and I can connect to it, so it works. I think Damien has programmed it already or do they come with that wifi software activated but where does my laptop take the openinverter webpage then? It was already programmed.
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

The "sketch data" are the files that are on the wifi module for the web page ( they are separate from the ESP8266 code that runs the web server, wifi and communication with the STM32). As the web page appears to be running this it is not likely the problem.

I have looked at the schematic before but had forgotten that this board has two wifi modules, one for the inverter and one for the charger. The D1 mini wifi module is connected to the charger. Either you need an adapter board so the D1 mini can be pluged into the olimex socket or get a olimex module.
The olimex modules are a bit unreliable so another option would be to link the d1 mini TX and RX to the olimex socket TX/RX with wires, if you are not using the charger. Is the controller for the charger, IC13 fitted?
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

royhen99 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:55 pm -This board has two wifi modules, one for the inverter and one for the charger. The D1 mini wifi module is connected to the charger.
-option would be to link the d1 mini TX and RX to the olimex socket TX/RX with wires, if you are not using the charger.
-Is the controller for the charger, IC13 fitted?
Yes now I see why there are two wifi modules on the circuit diagram at first I thought there's an option of one or the other. I remember somewhere on the forum there was a board with two and I didn't get it.
wifi moodulid auris v2b4.jpg
I plugged the D1 mini RX and TX pins into the J2 (olimex) socket pins 3 and 4 and it worked right away when I got the rx/tx pins right! :D Thank you royhen99 for helping me a lot!

IC13 is fitted, Damien had it soldered, someday I need to find out why didn't it show the charger things by wifi connection then.

Some parameters that I see now:
9.02.24 inverteri parameetrid.jpg
9.02.24 inverteri parameetrid2.jpg

Now need to got to work and connect it to inverter and attach a motor and power supply and get it running!
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

The charger processor is probably not programmed.
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

royhen99 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:13 am The charger processor is probably not programmed.
Yes I believe too that it needs programming, but this is next step when motor is turning, thanks!
I am happy that wifi module was programmed and the main chip STM32 also.

A little update: after a few days of testing different wiring variants and doing according to damiens video and reading prius gen3 setup wiki I got the motor running as it should!
moebelschmitt

Post by moebelschmitt »

Thanks for sharing this Wifi issue. Had the same and this here helped a lot!

But what about the MG2 current sensor socket of the Yaris board? Found in the Wiki that pins could be reversed and “will kill the -5v output of PS1”. But with note “This is Block ii version and below.”
What does that mean? :?:
1962 SAAB 96 electric conversion project
instagram.com/moebelschmitt
www.möbelschmitt.de