Using Tesla Front SDU in the rear?

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
jacobmargolis

Using Tesla Front SDU in the rear?

Post by jacobmargolis »

Hi all – long time lurker, first time poster.

I was wondering, is it possible to utilize the Tesla Front SDU solo, as a rear motor? It'd mount up perfectly in its usual orientation in the car I'm working on. I have the opportunity to get one at a good price.

My understanding is that there's no input for a throttle? Just wanted to confirm with those more knowledgable than myself that there's no work around.

I'd planned on utilizing the open inverter Tesla board.

I dug through the forums and didn't see any thread that specifically covered this. Apologies if I missed it.

Should say that as I was doing research an FAQ ("front drive units are slaves, and do not have the wiring for an accelerator pedal or brake switch, or the logic board needed for a 2WD application. They can only be used in dual motor applications.") from EV-Controls is what indicated to me it was not usable on its own. Of course, that might only be with their product, which is why I want to check.

Thanks so much for the help!

Jacob
johu
Site Admin

Re: Using Tesla Front SDU in the rear?

Post by johu »

OI boards can always work stand alone
https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Mod ... rive_Unit_
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
jacobmargolis

Post by jacobmargolis »

Thanks so much for the response. Wasn't sure if there was something about the motor itself that didn't allow it to be utilized even after changing the board. Like a lack of hookups or something. I dug around for a bit to try and find the differences between the two motors and mostly came across threads of people wanting to run the unit upside down and backwards.

So sounds like I should be able to do it? Apologies for any daftness on my end.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

jacobmargolis wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:52 pm So sounds like I should be able to do it?
As long as you can get the axles connected, yes with Open Inverter you can use it anywhere you please.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
jacobmargolis

Post by jacobmargolis »

Thank you so much I really appreciate you all laying it out for me!