Release: HVDC battery emulator project for ESS - Testers wanted

Topics concerning storage of renewable energy e.g. home battery systems
woleg

Release: HVDC battery emulator project for ESS - Testers wanted

Post by woleg »

Hi,

Thought I'd share my £12 off the shelf setup, no soldering required!

I wrote a Solax battery emulator almost 2 years ago now and have been using that code to use unmodified Renault EV batteries on Solax and FoxESS kit. Over the years this was adapted for 65V Victron kit (BYD emulation) and so on. Originally I used ESP32 as the dev platform but I am still skeptical about reliability. Later I moved to STM32 and found that to be much more reliable, cheaper for dual CAN too and so that stuck.

Just recently there's been a call for more HVDC emulation for high powered Deye/Sunsynk 3ph (30kW) kit so I've provisionally added the Pylontech Force H2 protocol which will be tested in the next week.

For those who have been struggling with the Solax protocol, especially the newer G4 kit, this solution should resolve that headache.

There's a lot more features running on the custom builds such as UDP syslog client, NTP+RTC, web portal, and TCP can bus feed but this was all done for development. As standard these releases offer a TCP modbus service on port 502 and will translate to/from RTU on the built in RS485 port.

If anyone is interested I will build custom firmware based on the current libraries in return for testing feedback.
  • Battery compatibility:

Renault Kangoo, Zoe 22->44kWh, Zoe 52kWh
    Tesla Model 3 (2020) (needs more testing)
  • Emulation:

Pylontech LV, HVDC, and Force H2 (new)
    Goodwe
    BYD
    Solax Triple Power
    FoxESS
  • Supported inverters:

Solax
    FoxESS
    GoodWe
    Victron (BYD)
    Deye/Sunsynk
    Solis (needs testing)
Hardware: STM32F407VET https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... el=twinner
Downloads (ELF binaries): https://github.com/rand12345/toucan_stm ... ag/release

Note to moderators, this isn't a commercial venture and I'm not selling anything.
Jacobsmess

Re: Release: HVDC battery emulator project for ESS - Testers wanted

Post by Jacobsmess »

Interesting, I'm about to purchase a mercedes EQB battery for my EV conversion but would like to put it to storage use in the mean time. Would this be possible to implement alongside it? If so, what data is required from the battery?
woleg

Post by woleg »

I’m not 100% sure but from a quick search that Mercedes uses CATL packs. The only interface I know that works with this tech is the MAX178xx controller.

This thread should put you in the right direction. viewtopic.php?t=2181&start=25

I do have some spare SPI MAX178XX boards and this STM32 will drive them, I just never got around to writing the firmware as I don’t have a pack to experiment with at home.
yasko

Post by yasko »

Hi Woleg,

Nice project. I have experience connecting EV batteries to HV inverters and am interested in testing your solution.

A few years ago, I reverse-engineered a CAN communication protocol for the HV Goodwe inverter (https://github.com/yasko-pv/gw-ev). Since then, I've been running a small PV system with a battery from Opel Ampera.
Later, I implemented some systems with modules from Pegout e-208 with Goodwe and Sofar inverters.

Now, a friend of mine has a battery from Zoe (52kWh), and it would be nice If we could connect it to an inverter without disassembling it.
I can test the battery with a Goodwe inverter and a Sofar inverter. The latter is compatible with the Pylontec HVDC protocol. For the Goodwe, I don't know which protocol supports your software.
I've already ordered the hardware and connector for the Zoe battery, but It will take 3 to 4 weeks to get it.

I've also built custom hardware based on STM32 (STM32G491 with dual CAN and some other peripherals), and if you can share the Zoe battery communication protocol, I can arrange some tests sooner.

PS Regarding CATL modules and MAX178XX, I have experience with them and can help with software and hardware.
But I've seen CATL modules (180Ah) with another BMS (ADBMS6815, a successor of the LTC68XX series). The battery was from an MG5 LR car.