BYD Atto3 as a Donor Vehicle Topic is solved

Iceman96

BYD Atto3 as a Donor Vehicle

Post by Iceman96 »

Hi Everyone - new member here who is planning to embark on an EV conversion project. I am a retired Electrical tradesman, and have done several ICE rebuilds and engine swaps in the past, so the mechanical side of the conversion holds no fears for me, and even the electrics should not be an issue. And while I am reasonably computer literate, and have experience programming and fault finding logic for PLC’s used in industrial Power plants, I have no experience with CAN Bus used in more modern vehicles, so I am particularly looking forward to the challenges getting that to work will bring. The car I wish to convert will be a 2wd utility similar to a Toyota Hilux or Holden Rodeo ( thats the Australian names for them, but a 1 ton ute). I have not purchased anything for my project yet, so cant be any more specific on the vehicle. I am interested to know if anyone has used a BYD Atto 3 as a donor vehicle yet? The power and torque sound like enough for my requirements, and the HV battery size is reasonable too. As I am planning to use it in a rwd application, does anyone know if the transaxle can be split from the motor similar to a Nissan Leaf? I have no particular preference for the donor vehicle, and it will be very much decided for me by what becomes available for a reasonable price. I am just interested in the BYD as a few of them are starting to appear in salvage yards.
I am still in the “discovery” stage for my project, and have been avidly reading this forum, as well as watching lots of YT videos as well ( very familiar with the gnome cat and his owner’s work!). Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum as there is a wealth of knowledge out there, and it is great to see people freely sharing that. Once I finally get started on my own adventure I will create my own thread in the “Projects” board and will share my progress.
Any suggestions or advice will be gratefully received 🙏🏻
Kutato72

Re: BYD Atto3 as a Donor Vehicle

Post by Kutato72 »

I have been studying the BYD Atto 3 for some time. Brutally modern development, not a Chinese joke. If you are not familiar with CAN buses, don't bother: there are dozens of CAN buses, because instead of a lot of electronics, there are only three "domain controllers" in it: the right, the left and the rear. Just as the HV battery is an independent domain, with its own CAN bus, as well as the 8-in-1 integrated electronics. All technical descriptions are in Chinese. I think you urgently need to find another donor for your project... It's no coincidence that no one dares to repair these cars yet.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

What about individual components? I mean the inverter will just have one CAN bus. If it can't be decoded would a drop in logic board be possible (i.e. separate power stage and logic board design?)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Kutato72

Post by Kutato72 »

For now, I wanted to understand its construction at a basic level and get to the point where the HV system, which was completely disabled due to the collision, would start. The car is already running, so maybe I will start logging this week, but I was not prepared for the fact that I would have to log at least 6 CAN buses right away. But as I know myself, over time it will be broken into tiny little crumbs. :)
Iceman96

Post by Iceman96 »

Kutato72 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:39 pm I have been studying the BYD Atto 3 for some time. Brutally modern development, not a Chinese joke. If you are not familiar with CAN buses, don't bother: there are dozens of CAN buses, because instead of a lot of electronics, there are only three "domain controllers" in it: the right, the left and the rear. Just as the HV battery is an independent domain, with its own CAN bus, as well as the 8-in-1 integrated electronics. All technical descriptions are in Chinese. I think you urgently need to find another donor for your project... It's no coincidence that no one dares to repair these cars yet.
Hi Kutato72 - thanks for that useful information. Another attraction of the BYD was the battery, so if I got one for the right price i may still go that way even if that is the only part I use from it. Probably my ideal donor vehicle would be a leaf, due to the wealth on knowledge and experience already out there on these. But I am still in the discovery stage, so have not purchased anything yet. But I really appreciate your advice