Does a 2015 TESLA S front motor have an immobilizer

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Lee Malo

Does a 2015 TESLA S front motor have an immobilizer

Post by Lee Malo »

I have a 2015 S P85D front motor and wondering if the logic board has an Immobilizer and If so what is the work around ?

On a side note :
I am new to the E.V community but have been working on cars for over 20 years. I have teamed up with Rich Benoit ( RICH REBUILDS on YouTube ) and we have done a few videos together that have gained a huge following . Why I am telling you this is because Rich and I hope to help this community gain more active members. If it was OK with the Admins and the great people in this forum We would like to tell others about this site in future videos . Would that be OK with you ??
Poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.
johu
Site Admin

Re: Does a 2015 TESLA S front motor have an immobilizer

Post by johu »

Well the point of the openinverter project is to replace Teslas logic board. Once that is done, there is no immobilizer.

I quite like Rich Rebuilds, would be thrilled to see us mentioned there :)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I think you are referring to swapping a drive unit into a Model S? if so it will depend on the firmware version in the car. The immobiliser is based in the mcu firmware and sends a can message to the drive unit. Unless the drive unit sends the correct response you are going nowhere. If you had the mcu from the donor vehicle it would be possible to spoof the message. the other alternative is to use the elusive tesla toolbox to recode the drive unit to match the mcu.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Lee Malo

Post by Lee Malo »

The reason I am asking about the IMMO is because I have a 2013 7 passenger Tuk Tuk I might swap the TESLA motor into it . Right now I am transplanting a 2013 Smart E.V rear drivetrain on to the Tuk Tuk . I have a complete Smart car E.V that was hit hard in the front but the rest of the car is perfect including the battery . Random thought ..... can the Smart car E.V system be over clocked for more torque ??
Poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

A Tesla drive unit in a tuk tuk? This I have to see. Wish I could visit you guys:)
In theory it is possible to get more power out of OEM EV parts at the expense of longevity. Just like ICE tuning. I managed it with a Siemens motor in my 8 series a few years back using the open source inverter system.
I'm going to need a hacksaw