Please don't stone me ;-) CCS to Type 2 AC Adapter/Converter?

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
DVD3500

Please don't stone me ;-) CCS to Type 2 AC Adapter/Converter?

Post by DVD3500 »

HI All,
I haven't really introduced myself or my project but I have been trawling through threads and using the search. I must admit this is one of the kindest, interesting and dare a I say geekiest forums I have ever seen!

I am what Germans would call "tiefbegabt" when it comes comes to complicated electronics. I am technically a French teacher by trade but have mostly worked in the software industry as an operations manager. But I can't program! There were always much more talented people than me for that ! :-D

In any case, my project is a Triumph Spitfire. I owned one as a teenager and I know its mechanicals inside and out. It is also an easy conversion as there is no power steering or brakes. Easy access hood/bonnet area...
It is small and light which brings me to the question below...

Someone has already done a conversion 10 km from me and I saw the thread about the Tesla powered one in the Netherlands.

I live in Germany (but am not German) so I will have to go through the lovely TÜV.
Because of my lack electronic abilities I plan on handing over the main conversion to a company that does such conversions.

They other reason is because the car has been off the road since the 90's and I have to go through a more complicated registration process. I will also be upgrading mechanical parts that will require "Einzelabnahmen" i.e. special certification (lighter, stronger suspension parts etc.)
This company can help me out on all fronts.

Because of the very small size of the car we likely won't be able to fit CCS directly. Besides, they prefer a low volt (100V) system for the batteries and motor. They only put in brand new components (usually) for guarantee reasons.

11 KW or even 22 KW AC (Type 2) is no problem but they are shy about adding CCS. Mostly because of the added complexity but also the added weight.

The guy near me has 22 KW of batteries in his "Spiti" and I am hoping through use of lightweight components and battery tech improvements to maybe squeeze 30 KW in.

Most of the time the car will be charged at home but as I hope the kids will leave home soon I will want to do longer trips. :evil:
Finding AC Type 2 charging is not too terribly difficult but in my experience they often top out at 11 KW.

That would mean often driving for an hour and spending two hours charging.
I also have the feeling that Type 2 chargers are becoming rarer. It could just be a feeling though.

In any case, when I saw Johannes' CCS to Chademo (I know that is DC to DC) and I read about things like the Prius inverter and people pulling AC power our of CCS chargers I was wondering if there might be a way to make a CCS -> Type 2 22 KW for longer trips?

The car has a luggage rack for longer trips and I could strap it on there.

I am not too worried about any loss of efficiency. It is purely so that I have as many options and the fastest possible charging available for long trips.

There may be of course better options but I only understand maybe a tenth of what I am reading on GitHub.
My developer colleagues can only help me a little as most of them have no electrical or electronic experience.

Feel free to tell me I am an idiot (I am used to criticism from my teenage kids!) :)

There is no rush.
The car is laying in pieces in a workshop right now and won't come home for a few months and even then I will still have months (years?) of work as I build it back up by hand.
I know of other electrified cars around my area (Rhein Neckar Kreis) so if anyone wants to see some let me know!
I hope to attend the next 18-24 hour race at Hockenheim as well!
I can accept private messages in German or French as well as English. :-)

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated!
Cheers and many thanks!
Andy
m.art.y

Re: Please don't stone me ;-) CCS to Type 2 AC Adapter/Converter?

Post by m.art.y »

Most public AC chargers should be capable of providing 22kw of power, I propose to install an app like plugshare and double check what power most AC chargers are in Germany. If most of them are 22 kw then your problem is solved. I currently only have type2 myself and a 17 kw Tesla charger. I had a chance to do quite a few longer trips and lucky for me most of type2 chargers around are 22 kw. Charging at only 11 kw with a smaller battery like mine (~150km range) would make longer trips excruciatingly hard.
Now with 100v battery are you going with DC motor? Proper CCS or Chademo might not even be possible with 100v battery as those chargers have min HV voltage limit.
The adapter you are proposing would have to be 3 phase DC to AC transformer capable of 22 kw otherwise there would simply be no point, might be costly as well. Perhaps something like the solar guys are using but with CCS integration. That said you would be way better off using 22 kw AC chargers or having proper CCS or chademo (if possible).
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Go for an HV setup, 300>V. Otherwise there is no point really, unless you get a DCDC converter which is heavy and needs to be liquid cooled to take the >200V and buck it down safely to the 100V.

also 100V means alot more current and thus heavier/costlier wiring and contactors.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

The "added weight of CCS" sounds like an excuse because they don't want to leave their comfort zone :x

With 100V forget any kind of DC fast charging and stick with fast-ish AC charging. The lower voltage limit is mostly 200V.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
DVD3500

Post by DVD3500 »

Thanks for all the responses.
One other reason they don't like doing CCS is also because they only install new items for guarantee and liability reasons and new CCS parts are expensive.

I forget the exact number and voltages of the batteries they use but I think getting it up to 200 volts or higher is also physical challenge as the Spitfire is a very narrow and low car.

My idea is to create an external box or suitcase that can be used to convert CCS DC to AC and plug it into the 22KW AC Type 2 the car will likely have. It would look more or less like what Johannes has done with CCS to Chademo but converting DC to AC and CCS to Type 2. I would only take the suitcase with me on long trips and likely strap it to luggage rack on the trunk/boot of the car. My guess is while inverters of course exist that can do high volt DC to AC, getting CCS to talk to it and getting it compact enough would be issues.

Going straight to DC is likely not an option for reasons mentioned above...

My Skoda Enyaq can only do 11 KW AC so I don't know how reliable the data on Plugshare etc is for 22 KW. There are quite a few but not nearly as many as CCS chargers. You would also lose time because most AC chargers are in towns and you would have to go several KM out of your way to find them. I also know at a museum recently when two cars charged at the same time the KW rate was halved.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

How would you convert CCS to type2 without a transformer? Do you have some ideas? Because that's in no way similar to CCS to Chademo adapter where it's only a matter of getting communication protocols to work as they are both DC power. With CCS to Type2 you not only need the comms to work but also need to transform the DC power into AC for your onboard AC charger. That's not that simple of a task.
It seems a bit like that your conversion using new components will be very expensive but also limited. You would be way better off with AC motor and higer battery voltage and proper CCS. It is a small car but I'm pretty sure it has been converted using AC motor before. You can get battery packs from hybrids that have full voltage and are pretty compact.
DVD3500

Post by DVD3500 »

Nope.
I haven't got a clue... so if it is a non-starter because the power conversion is too complicated I will just have to plan more time each trip. :-)
arber333

Post by arber333 »

DVD3500 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:22 am Nope.
I haven't got a clue... so if it is a non-starter because the power conversion is too complicated I will just have to plan more time each trip. :-)
Well... i think solution is at hand for a long time now:
https://www.easun-energy.com/collection ... 2mEALw_wcB

Simply make CCS as PV input into inverter(s) with or without energy storage and then prepare AC charging station for Cp protocol. Should work either on 230Vac singlephase or 400Vac trephase.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Here is a mini: https://www.fellten.com/mini/ even smaller and is 350V nominal.

Even the small 3 wheeler morgan is equiped with a +30kWh pack https://morgan-motor.com/news-xp-1/
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

Or convince the conversion company to use your own second hand components and go with AC system and higher battery voltage. Then they will only be liable for their work and not their components. If a component fails simply replace it at your own cost. 😉
DVD3500

Post by DVD3500 »

arber333 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:25 am Well... i think solution is at hand for a long time now:
https://www.easun-energy.com/collection ... 2mEALw_wcB

Simply make CCS as PV input into inverter(s) with or without energy storage and then prepare AC charging station for Cp protocol. Should work either on 230Vac singlephase or 400Vac trephase.
Interesting... I don't understand a lot of the figures though..

But don't I have to tickle the CCS to give up the juice?
From what I can tell from the Chademo project the CCS requires a lot of communication to let charging start....
f0ld

Post by f0ld »

m.art.y wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:28 am Or convince the conversion company to use your own second hand components and go with AC system and higher battery voltage. Then they will only be liable for their work and not their components. If a component fails simply replace it at your own cost. 😉
As someone who grew up in the Frankfurt Region I know exactly which company OP is talking about. They are quite known around this area for doing conversions that have 100% TÜV conformity (they partner with a specific inspector and have their "certified" system) and are relativly low cost (because they started early and have developed their own "modular" system).

They dont have higher battery voltages because at the time they started developing this was more then feasible for oldtimer conversions. Also lower voltage "of the shelf" components are cheaper.

They are quit strict regarding their systems. Especially if you want them to get TÜV for you. And propably they fear the development costs it would take them to make a battery and bms adaption for higher voltages. Also their motors would need some change...
So thats why (from what I heard) it is all or nothing with them. Either use their full system or build it on your own. For many oldtimer conversions this might work out well but I personally dont like this "closed" approach.

@DVD3500:
Since you mentioned that you will be restoring the car (and that the process will take a longer time anyways) it might be worth to first get the car base to a solid point and then research again if there are developments on companys (or similar projects like yours) that use more advanced tech...
Maybe even the company you currently intend to use will develop something in that time.
A year is a lot of time and I personally wouldnt close possibilitys too early.

Edit: From my perspective there are a lot of companys out there that offer consulting on selecting/designing a retrofit with modular systems that are a lot more advanced. Might cost a bit more money but I think thats worth it. And if you want it cheap, you always have to build it yourself :D
Plasma cutter solves all my problems.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Trying to bring a CCS Retrofit to a Renault Zoe.

Github |
DVD3500

Post by DVD3500 »

f0ld wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:21 pm As someone who grew up in the Frankfurt Region I know exactly which company OP is talking about. They are quite known around this area for doing conversions that have 100% TÜV conformity (they partner with a specific inspector and have their "certified" system) and are relativly low cost (because they started early and have developed their own "modular" system).

They dont have higher battery voltages because at the time they started developing this was more then feasible for oldtimer conversions. Also lower voltage "of the shelf" components are cheaper.

They are quit strict regarding their systems. Especially if you want them to get TÜV for you. And propably they fear the development costs it would take them to make a battery and bms adaption for higher voltages. Also their motors would need some change...
So thats why (from what I heard) it is all or nothing with them. Either use their full system or build it on your own. For many oldtimer conversions this might work out well but I personally dont like this "closed" approach.

@DVD3500:
Since you mentioned that you will be restoring the car (and that the process will take a longer time anyways) it might be worth to first get the car base to a solid point and then research again if there are developments on companys (or similar projects like yours) that use more advanced tech...
Maybe even the company you currently intend to use will develop something in that time.
A year is a lot of time and I personally wouldnt close possibilitys too early.

Edit: From my perspective there are a lot of companys out there that offer consulting on selecting/designing a retrofit with modular systems that are a lot more advanced. Might cost a bit more money but I think thats worth it. And if you want it cheap, you always have to build it yourself :D
Yep... You probably guessed it.
I will always entertain other options until I sign the dotted line but the modifications we are doing on the car mean I need a "gentle" TÜV engineer.
Mostly replacing items with lightweight equivalents. Nothing too crazy.
One other reason I like them is they let you work o the car with them, which I plan to do....

Time is on my side though I think. The other Spitfire guy had the batteries jump in almost 10% capacity between November and March when he had his conversion done. Maybe I will get lucky.

I forgot one very important parameter of the project that is non-negotiable:
The finance minister aka my wife has to be able to use the car so fiddling with laptops and too many crazy settings or switches would mean I would lose my funding! :-D