Golf Gte Long range/parallel battery

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Ags167

Golf Gte Long range/parallel battery

Post by Ags167 »

Hello world! Im new here but found the great openinverter wiki which has some good information on the VW hybrid batteries. I want to start a project but im unsure if its even possible.
Short version: I own a Golf GTE, I want more battery range without opening/modifying my existing battery.

Longer Version: It seems that people who are using Gte batteries are paralleling them at individual module level. I dont want to open my original battery hence my questions:

1. Does anyone know if its possible/How to parallel them as a complete battery pack?
eg. create a Y cable for orange HW and another Y cable for the signal connector

2. What would happen if i just parallel the control connectors. I know the packs needs to be same voltage

3. Would it be possible to create a MITM box to recieve/split the external canbus messages to the 2 battery packs. Then have the mitm decide which messages from the packs to respond to and send back:
example: if one battery is reaching temp limit or similar the mitm would prioritize that message and send it back

sorry if im confusing in my description of how i imagine it would work. see picture

PS. im software/programming dumb but i do own a vcds hex v2
elbil.png
arber333

Re: Golf Gte Long range/parallel battery

Post by arber333 »

It has been done!
Very simple, you add a second battery and a contactor with diode across its pins. Diode would allow charging from the OEM charger but batteries will not share charge when not connected.
You do need to get access to HVDC poles though. And contactors in GTE are inside battery casing.
I would assuzme you can use contactor of the 2nd battery to connect your battery after precharge, but how would you charge 2nd battery when car is off? Maybe it would be good to open your battery and see where you can connect behind main contactors...

viewtopic.php?p=3299#p3299