Insuring your DIY EV in the UK

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
FFMan

Insuring your DIY EV in the UK

Post by FFMan »

So now my build is just about ready to hit the road, i'm getting some push back on insurance.

Keith Michaels said they couldn't insure because the value of the car in the Glass guide was too low. It is after all a £500 BMW before I added the parts which so far add up to £1500, but when i add more batteries will be £2500.

Brent Acre, recommended on here, say they can't insure any electric vehicles, sounds like they have changed their mind on this one.

Any further comments/recommendations ?
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
snelly

Re: Insuring your DIY EV in the UK

Post by snelly »

i use Andra flux with my ev about 150 pounds a year
they be doing modified car for yearsss
snelly

Post by snelly »

Adrian flux
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

That's strange with Keith Michaels, mines a £300 car with about £2000 of parts. A lot seem to say no until you can get through the initial call centre bod.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Bigpie wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:08 am That's strange with Keith Michaels, mines a £300 car with about £2000 of parts. A lot seem to say no until you can get through the initial call centre bod.
i tried again with a different contact, and added the value of the conversion parts on. Waiting for a response.
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

So it’s insurance time for me again just had my renewal quote from Adrian flux through at over £700! Gone up nearly £200 thought I’d call Keith Mitchell as recommended above only to be told they are too busy to give me a quote, and to call back next week, to be fair I wanted to sort this this week while I’m on holiday so I asked if they were not looking to take on new customers be told well it is what it is.. very strange conversation
catphish

Post by catphish »

Ev8 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:16 am So it’s insurance time for me again just had my renewal quote from Adrian flux through at over £700! Gone up nearly £200 thought I’d call Keith Mitchell as recommended above only to be told they are too busy to give me a quote, and to call back next week, to be fair I wanted to sort this this week while I’m on holiday so I asked if they were not looking to take on new customers be told well it is what it is.. very strange conversation
Keith Michaels seem to vary a lot in their ability and willingness to help. I've had good recommendations for them, so definitely worth asking, but with my car they just said they couldn't help, without any particular explanation as to why.
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

My insurance with adrian flux actually went down £100 this year to £265
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

My insurance is due next month. Been with Keith Michaels for 2 years, hopefully I won't have issues renewing.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
catphish

Post by catphish »

andybpowell wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:02 pm My insurance with adrian flux actually went down £100 this year to £265
Mine went up from about £550 to about £600. Not too unreasonable.
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

So in the end I did renew with flux, ended up talking them down to £650 and also added some additional non standard parts
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

Ev8 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:32 pm So in the end I did renew with flux, ended up talking them down to £650 and also added some additional non standard parts
I've been modifying cars for 40 yrs and nearly all of my modified cars have been insured with them and I think the most I've ever paid was about £500 I think I've only been with another modified insurer twice and the only time they weren't happy to insure one of my cars was my Mr2 GT Turbo with nitros then again nobody liked insuring that :lol:
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I'm just off the phone with Keith Michael's and got a flat NO. They are refusing to insure Land Rovers or Range Rovers because they are stolen so often.
I tried to argue nobody would be daft enough to steal a 2004 Freelander but computer said no.
Best quote so far is £780 from Adrian Flux but as I don't have any no claims on this car maybe it's not too bad.
I need a bigger hammer!
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

Alibro wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:24 am I'm just off the phone with Keith Michael's and got a flat NO. They are refusing to insure Land Rovers or Range Rovers because they are stolen so often.
I tried to argue nobody would be daft enough to steal a 2004 Freelander but computer said no.
Best quote so far is £780 from Adrian Flux but as I don't have any no claims on this car maybe it's not too bad.
Ouch :o
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Any other insurance company was quoting over £1k plus required a detailed engineers report. :o
I need a bigger hammer!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Got outright refused by the NFU for the MG, because of the age of the vehicle and the modifications. Strangely they were quite happy to quote for the 50 year old tractor with the same modifications.

Ended up going with Adrian Flux at £636, annoyingly £40 more than the renewal quote back in June. I did manage to talk them down £40 from the original quote they gave though.
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

can you go with cat1 alarm or insurance approved tracker? wouldn't save you enough this year but would pay for itself and not being trapped by a single insurer. (ask the question before spending obs).
Stealing a 2004 freelander wtf... that's sounds like stealing the alloy wheels off my auris ... if someone does it they got to be pritty damn desperate for cash and society has probably completely crumbled.
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

rstevens81 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:27 pm
Stealing a 2004 freelander wtf... that's sounds like stealing the alloy wheels off my auris ... if someone does it they got to be pritty damn desperate for cash and society has probably completely crumbled.
I said the exact same thing but computer said NO! :shock:
I need a bigger hammer!
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

I have just been checking out prices for my BMW Z4 with GS450h if I decide to keep it. There are not many companies willing to quote.

Adrian Flux is one consistent broker who finds underwriters for EV cars.

On a value of £12000 they gave me a quote of £847.17 annually or deposit of £127.08 and 9 payments £94.65 which equals £978.93, Ouch!!

I managed to find another broker who quoted £544.44 annually on a value of £10,000 and putting my wife on the policy as a named driver, she does not want to drive it but apparently it can reduce the premium for some reason according to the broker. I can't remember the monthly cost as I was gobsmacked by the quote.

Give Callum Frost of Howden Group a call on 0161 341 2133 to see if he can help you.