Bender ISO165C for Isolation Monitoring

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
DrJeff

Bender ISO165C for Isolation Monitoring

Post by DrJeff »

I've posted some prototype and demo code to my github to use the Bender ISO165C unit.

https://github.com/DrJeffCooke/IsolationMonitorBender

The unit measures the isolation of an EV system (effectiveness in kOhms of the insulation) and also two high voltage readings. It then reports these in CAN.

https://www.benderinc.com/products/grou ... -iso165c-1

I'm using the insulation monitoring as a safety measure and the high voltage readings as a means of monitoring that the high voltage contactors are working as expected (in particular that the pre-charge contactor has operated correctly before the main positive contactor is closed).

I thought this might be an interesting set of data for those working on conversions and interested in additional safety measures. I still have some more testing to do to confirm that the ISO165C will work while fully integrated with the Tesla Charger and Tesla Drive Unit. I don't anticipate issues, but the Bender documentation does state that more than one ISO165C units would be an issue.

If I were doing this again I would have selected the ISO165C-1 which can output directly to a warning and fault line. Using the ISO165C you have to interpret CAN frames to detect a fault or warning condition. The units also come with pre-programmed CAN speeds which may be a limitation. Thankfully my unit runs at 500kps (contrary to the documentation) which is the speed the TesLorean CAN network is running at.

Jeff
boekel

Re: Bender ISO165C for Isolation Monitoring

Post by boekel »

Pretty cool unit. do you know prices?
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

I talked to them at CENEX LCV and the prices were reasonable, sub £200 as I recall.
boekel

Post by boekel »

These seem to have disappeared, does anyone know if they stopped making them or just put them on the 'not public' list?
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
boekel

Post by boekel »

Bigpie wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:20 am https://www.benderinc.com/products/grou ... 04-series/ what you're looking for?
unfortunately that is missing much of the features (CANbus, 2x voltage measuring..)