Hyundai / Kia hybrid inverter teardown

bigmotherwhale

Hyundai / Kia hybrid inverter teardown

Post by bigmotherwhale »

I thought this small and lightweight inverter might be of interest, especially for people making smaller EVs, this tiny inverter is a lot like the Toyota Gen4 it has a double sided cooled IGBTs and an integrated DC-DC and is capable of 35kw. I am yet to see what it spits out over CAN but I'm not sure it can be controlled with simple torque commands as it is listening to 3 can buses simultaneously to make its decision to provide toque to the two motor generators. It should be possible to make an adapter/ breakout board for openinverter. I have some photos of a unit stripped down even further that i found that i can post for this too.
Attachments
DSC05367.JPG
DSC05366.JPG
DSC05364.JPG
DSC05363.JPG
bigmotherwhale

Re: Hyundai / Kia hybrid inverter teardown

Post by bigmotherwhale »

Here are some more i found of the inside.
Attachments
s-l1600.png
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (10).jpg
s-l1600 (9).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).png
s-l1600 (1).jpg
bigmotherwhale

Post by bigmotherwhale »

Some can logs of the inverter on its own and also of a 1.5kwh hybrid pack which I think is from a Niro,
I was unable to get the contactors to pull in as i think the problem is this inverter is for a Ioniq not a Niro, they share the same message structure but the niro bms is all in one and includes a 12v battery bms and contactor system inside it as well.
Its a shame i dont have a matching battery and inverter as i think this would work, pulling the IGN signal up changes the state of the contactor message.
These logs are really going to help the people trying to reverse engineer the BMS too I will post them there as well.
Attachments
kia niro hev 1.5kwh battery.csv
(211.5 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
p can log.csv
(736.36 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
H can log.csv
(821.83 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
battery + inverter H+P can.csv
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
bigmotherwhale

Post by bigmotherwhale »

I have found a set of buffers on the Main PCB that seem to drive the gate drive signals, am attempting to patch into them.
Also found 2 current sensors for each side that sit at 2.5v shame its not 3 because i have a Lebowski board i wanted to use with this and 2 are required.
mentalgulp

Post by mentalgulp »

Thanks for sharing this information! The Hyundai/Kia hybrid inverter teardown sounds interesting, especially for those working on smaller EVs. It's great to know it has double-sided cooled IGBTs, an integrated DC-DC, and a 35kw capacity. It'll be fascinating to see what it outputs over CAN and explore the potential for creating an adapter or breakout board for openinverter.
Explore a wide selection of high-quality hyundai car parts for all your vehicle maintenance needs.
bigmotherwhale

Post by bigmotherwhale »

Getting it working over can would be difficult as it has an immobilizer built in, I have the can frames it transmits and will post them here, my plan is to see if i can get it working with a Lebowski brain board or two as well as the DC-DC.
Creating a drop in board would be ideal but its a lot of work, it needs a controller for the DC DC on the mainboard which is bidirectional, correct me if im wrong but the DC -DC on the Prius board is just controlled by the atmega chip and it doesn't directly control the igbts?
you would also need to find the connector types which can be tricky sometimes.
bigmotherwhale

Post by bigmotherwhale »

After some confusing outputs from the phases I decided to take the gate driver board off the IGBTS so i could see what was going on.

They are driven by 6X BM60055 gate driver IC's, and are driven in pairs high and low side so when IN1 is logic high on the low side IN2 will be logic high on the high side driver etc to prevent them both from turning on at the same time. They follow the truth table on the datasheet.

There is also a convenient ACPL-C87AT measuring the bus voltage

There are 2 current sensors per inverter section, the HSG uses a 300A LEM sensor and the drive motor uses a 500A
Attachments
DSC05378.JPG
DSC05377.JPG