Upgrading an old VFD using openinverter

abetanco

Upgrading an old VFD using openinverter

Post by abetanco »

Hello all, I would like to upgrade an old Magnetek/Yaskawa GPD515/G5 VFD to support PM synchronous motor control. The unit only supports AC induction motor control; otherwise the unit functions well. The power stage is designed for 75+ HP. I am considering using the existing power stage and gate drive board (the gate drive board also has the current sensors as well). Would I be able to swap the existing control board for the openinverter board? If so, does anyone have any ideas on how to test or figure out the pinout of the connecting cable that joins the gate drive board to the control board? The pinout is not identified on the PCB. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Photos shown below. Bottom photo is power stage, with capacitor bank and snubbers on top, and with IGBTs underneath (6 Powerex single IGBTs, each rated at 600V and 1200A). Second photo is gate drive board, where I have circled in red the cable for which I need to determine the pinout (the six gate drive optocouplers with associated gate drive resistors and gate capacitors are visible from bottom to middle of board). Top photo is the control board (and encoder feedback board), which I would like to replace with the openinverter board.
Attachments
control and encoder feedback boards
control and encoder feedback boards
Gate drive and sensor board
Gate drive and sensor board
Power stage
Power stage
abetanco

Re: Upgrading an old VFD using openinverter

Post by abetanco »

Hello all, in case it would help to peak anyone's interest, today I was able to connect my DMM, set to continuity mode, and tested each gate driver's (optocoupler's) cathode for continuity with one of the 30 pins. I believe I found each pin associated with each optocoupler's cathode, for a total of six of the 30 pins. Looking at the one-sided board, it also appears that a number of the pins (around 8) are unused.

When I check for continuity between each optocoupler's anode, I find multiple pins with responses, not sure why. I may be confused about the wiring, but my understanding is that each gate driver needs an isolated ower supply, so six in total. Looking at the openinverter gate driver board schematic, it appears that the role of the DC-DC converters in each duplex board is to perform that isolation. Perhaps someone can confirm or correct my understanding.

When I test for continuity between the current transducers (there are four: three for each set of IGBTs and one for the inlet power), I get responses from multiple pins. I'm not sure if that's to be expected.

Hope someone has some helpful advice. These old VFDs from industrial applications (pumps, elevators, for example), in my opinion, make great EV inverters, as long as they can support PM motors as well. But there are some good AC Induction motors out there as well for EV conversions (Indramat Rexroth, for example).
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Yes, usually every gate driver has its own isolated supply, though the lower gates could be clustered together because they sit at the same ground potential. Maybe that's what you see.

The Nissan Leaf inverter has the anodes of all optos coupled together and connected to 5V, the cathodes are switched. Can be directly connected to the OI board in PWM active low mode.

You will only need two of four current sensors, ideally the ones from phase 1 and 2. The other ones you just leave disconnected.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
abetanco

Post by abetanco »

Thank you for the clarification. I'll keep working on it. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
abetanco

Post by abetanco »

I found a post from a few years' back with a similar problem:
viewtopic.php?t=527
I will do some more research and catch up when I have time. This forum is fantastic. Thank you for your help.