Nissan leaf battery active cooling

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
Huskte

Nissan leaf battery active cooling

Post by Huskte »

Planning on using a 40kwh pack from a 2018 (or newer) leaf, do you guys think it's worth cooling the battery box?

Eg putting a fan on one end to blow cooler air though the box for pre fast charging? or cooling down when stuck in traffic in the summer?
m.art.y

Re: Nissan leaf battery active cooling

Post by m.art.y »

I would say if you plan on using fast charging and if you can do it then do it. It won't do no harm but could prolong the life of the battery. I was also thinking about air cooling but wasn't sure how to do it, need some kind of air filters for the dust etc?
ginetto

Post by ginetto »

Huskte wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:13 am Planning on using a 40kwh pack from a 2018 (or newer) leaf, do you guys think it's worth cooling the battery box?

Eg putting a fan on one end to blow cooler air though the box for pre fast charging? or cooling down when stuck in traffic in the summer?
Here a "risky" solution using AC air cooling (I suggest to see the other videos too)
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I use air cooling with a simple 120mm fan and also the battery box is open towards the former exhaust tunnel. That prevents over heating quite well. The fan is always on on longer trips, otherwise off
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Huskte

Post by Huskte »

m.art.y wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:35 am I would say if you plan on using fast charging and if you can do it then do it. It won't do no harm but could prolong the life of the battery. I was also thinking about air cooling but wasn't sure how to do it, need some kind of air filters for the dust etc?
I guess you could use a standard car air filter/ cabin at the front, some channels to push airflow between the batteries (maybe add some heat sinks to the batteries) then (as I can gather from the video sent by ginetto) a fan at the back of the battery box, leading to a downpipe to the underside of the car to exhaust the hot air
Huskte

Post by Huskte »

ginetto wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:54 am Here a "sisky" solution using AC air cooling (I suggest to see the other videos too)
I think i understand what's going on lol, Is it using ac? or just pulling air through the battery box?
Huskte

Post by Huskte »

johu wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:00 am I use air cooling with a simple 120mm fan and also the battery box is open towards the former exhaust tunnel. That prevents over heating quite well. The fan is always on on longer trips, otherwise off
interesting, I'll definitely look into it then
ginetto

Post by ginetto »

Huskte wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:42 am I think i understand what's going on lol, Is it using ac? or just pulling air through the battery box?
AC because in this way can also remove or reduce a lot humidity and the air injected in the battery