Front small drive unit teardown help

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
BenBeyond

Front small drive unit teardown help

Post by BenBeyond »

Hi, i started to open my small drive unit as need to reposition the oil intake as will be running the motor at a different angle. I couldn't find any videos showing exactly how to take it apart but found some that have enough info to give me an idea.

I have removed the controller board, the cover that covers the hall sensor and removed the encoder wheel thing. I have removed all the screws and the gasket has come apart around the edge.I removed the cable seal thing that goes around the 3 motor cables and temp sensor wire. I removed the 2 c clips on the main bearing but from what i have seen the bearing should just be loose ? I have tried freezing the inner shaft to remove it, made some pulling devices to try pull it off etc. I dont want to go any further as worried it will get damaged if i do anything more.

I dont know if im missing something somewhere but i need to get this open now as i need to replace the gasket and do the work on the oil pump.

Here is a pic of the bearing.
BenBeyond

Re: Front small drive unit teardown help

Post by BenBeyond »

I have not removed the one spline shaft that goes into the diff but i dont belive that should interfere with the openin of it