Tesla small drive unit help

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
BenBeyond

Tesla small drive unit help

Post by BenBeyond »

Hi, a bit of background.

I have been messing with electronics and electronic vehicles such as skateboards, go-karts and Jeskis for a while and wanted to step up my project to an electric porsche 924.

I bought a front small tesla drive unit from the us and shipped it to south africa, total cost was over $4000 usd. I bought an open inverter board and installed it. Wiring up 12v i can connect to the board on my laptop via wifi and see the interface and stuff, not much of a programmer so not 100% on all this, gona need to find someone to help me.
Changed some parameters i have seen on the web that is required to run it al 50 volts or so, not 100% i got all of them as its so hard to find the info i need on the forums and youtube.

I give the system 12v to turn on, then touch the motor positive wire onto a resister i have connected to the main 50v power source, then connect it directly after precharge is finished. Then I connect the wire that puts it into drive mode to the same 12+ that supply's the board (Note the motor doesnt lock now, not sure if its meant to).

I have a server tester connected to the 3 wires than are for the pedal, the ground, positive and the sense wire, i also tried it on a different pedal and both dont make motor spin, i also tried changing the test values on the web interface and nothing happens.

Im really not sure what i need to do as i cant find any solid info on how to test it bare minimum or a wiring diagram, im really worried that something is wrong with the inverter or similar. I have been saving for this motor for around a year and have started saving for the batteries now but.

Another thing is the current sensors i had a brain fart and broke one leg off the one so i groud it down a bit so i could sonder a wire on and still us it, not sure if the heat killed it and if this would affect the motor turning, ordered 4 new sensors today and will be here in a week or 2
BenBeyond

Re: Tesla small drive unit help

Post by BenBeyond »

If there would be any videos, forum threads, or someone that would be willing to help me for a hour or 2 to get this sorted would be amazing, can pay if required
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Video on testing and setup
viewtopic.php?t=3931

Topic dedicated to the SDU
viewtopic.php?t=77

Wiring and other info
https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Mod ... %22SDU%22)
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
catphish

Post by catphish »

Please post your configuration and wait until someone looks over it to make sure you don't break anything. It sounds like you haven't calibrated your throttle input, which is definitely necessary
BenBeyond

Post by BenBeyond »

catphish wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:08 am Please post your configuration and wait until someone looks over it to make sure you don't break anything. It sounds like you haven't calibrated your throttle input, which is definitely necessary
I got it running in the end after following through the one video that was linked. Wont be testing anymore but i posted another thread now as got stuck with taking the motor apart. My luck isn't the best it seems