DESAT error

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
mane2

DESAT error

Post by mane2 »

I seem to have strike of bad luck now. First the inverter blew due bad BMS setup, got second inverter and that leaked coolant to inverter side and caused temp sensor first showing 0c (because wet connector) after fixing that I get DESAT error and car won't move. Weird thing was, that after putting the motor back again after fixing leaks, it worked and test drive for 10 minutes was all good. Then car was parked for 45 mins, and when I was about to drive it home lasterr shows DESAT and won't move. Weirdly, I also saw TMPHS max error and one OVERCURRENT error, but only once .. I'm wondering if there was some leftover coolant that got into wrong place.

What is DESAT error? How is it possible to happen when car is parked? How to fix?
johu
Site Admin

Re: DESAT error, how to fix?

Post by johu »

DESAT is super strange as it isn't implemented on Tesla board. It is pulled to 3V3 via 1k resistor. Only way to trigger it would be some serious moisture pulling it to GND
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
mane2

Post by mane2 »

Thanks for confirming. I tried to search the forums and google, but I got zero hits with Tesla motors and Desat, mainly Leaf stuff.

So there must be water currently on board so that desat gets connected to ground. Would you have a diagram that shows the desat connections on board, so I could check those.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

mane2 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:27 pm Thanks for confirming. I tried to search the forums and google, but I got zero hits with Tesla motors and Desat, mainly Leaf stuff.

So there must be water currently on board so that desat gets connected to ground. Would you have a diagram that shows the desat connections on board, so I could check those.
I would advise you to remove the board and wash it with acetone or spirit (use a soft toothbrush). Then put it in an oven for 4 hours at 50degC. This to remove any water that would remain under any chip which could cause corrosion later on.
mane2

Post by mane2 »

Thanks. I will do that.

Good thing here is that probably the inverter is ok this time, now it’s just the board 😅
mane2

Post by mane2 »

So, inverter is out again. So the square O-rings leak .. spraying water all over the inverter and OI board. That must have caused the DESAT error. So need to dry everything now, and hope nothing got broken with that water.

Now the problem is, where to source those O-rings? Saw one guy getting these US round O-rings to replace them. Need to find something from Europe to avoid long delivery times, vat and customs etc.
Attachments
o-rings2.jpeg
o-rings.jpeg
moist2.jpeg
moist1.jpeg
moist3.jpeg
moist4.jpeg
mane2

Re: DESAT error

Post by mane2 »

Ok, DESAT error is gone after drying the board. But as usual, once we got plugged that leak we found another. I bought preemptively new seal for rotor/stator side, as I noticed the thread about it starting to leak. We changed that when swapped the inverter .. and now, it seems that the biggest leak is that new seal :O. It leaks to stator/rotor side and comes through to the inverter side through some pipe that carries the temperature sensor wire.. uuf.

Now we had to break that old steel seal for the new one, and now the new does not work.. So we cut the old motors "arm" half, and took the metal one out in one piece, and hammered it to the current motor. Let's see how long that holds...
mane2

Post by mane2 »

Just noticed that I should have used Speedi Sleeve with that seal.. I didn’t, and it leaked. Now bought the one that was recommended from AliExpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3294292 ... 4itemAdapt
CTLBDYW one. Hoping it works..
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

mane2 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:51 pm Just noticed that I should have used Speedi Sleeve with that seal.. I didn’t, and it leaked. Now bought the one that was recommended from AliExpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3294292 ... 4itemAdapt
CTLBDYW one. Hoping it works..
There is a huge thread about the rotor seal, and despite that, there is still no perfect solution. I would however advise against using the ali express seal.

viewtopic.php?t=2242&start=425

I am using the SKF seal and speedi sleeve with good success, however I'm still cautious about recommending as we do not know of its long-term performance.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
mane2

Post by mane2 »

Yeah, I read that after more thoroughly after changing the perfectly good condition seal to new leaking one :D

What speedi-sleeve are you using? I is there specific dimensions, product code or so?

What's wrong with the Aliexpress seal? I didn't see bad things reported about that.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

mane2 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:45 am Yeah, I read that after more thoroughly after changing the perfectly good condition seal to new leaking one :D

What speedi-sleeve are you using? I is there specific dimensions, product code or so?

What's wrong with the Aliexpress seal? I didn't see bad things reported about that.
It’s all in the thread linked above. Too much to summarise here. 👍

99114 Speedi sleeve.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.