Prius Gen 2 Max rpm/Hz without throttle input  [SOLVED]

Bagheera

Prius Gen 2 Max rpm/Hz without throttle input

Post by Bagheera »

I have now followed this FOC tuning video:

I have the throttle working. If I press the throttle too much the motor goes into 16000 RPM or 1000Hz and stays there until I cut the power.
I am sure it's a parameter, I have tried to limit the Hz with "fmax" to 200 Hz, but it still goes to 1000 Hz.
Also, "throtramprpm" set to 8000 it still goes to 16000 rpm.
I have tried changing "throtramp" to 0.09 but it still can go to max speed.

Here is a video of the problem:

I thought that maybe "syncadv" could be something I need to change but after reading the description I didn't want to mess with it without making a post here because it says it's "SUPER DANGEROUS!"

I have the Prius Gen 2 inverter and gearbox, I am running the MG1 at the moment, because MG2 still has the parking brake engaged.
HW: 188v.

Any advice?
Attachments
4.png
4.png (9.77 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
3.png
2.png
1.png
IMG_20230811_191049.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Re: Prius Gen 2 Max rpm/Hz without throttle input  [SOLVED]

Post by johu »

Known problem unfortunately. With field weakening the motor can spin up without throttle input. Torque will be low but enough for an unloaded motor to spin up. Set fwcurmax to 0 while bench testing
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Bagheera

Re: Prius Gen 2 Max rpm/Hz without throttle input

Post by Bagheera »

johu wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:04 pm Known problem unfortunately. With field weakening the motor can spin up without throttle input. Torque will be low but enough for an unloaded motor to spin up. Set fwcurmax to 0 while bench testing
That did fix the issue, but now the motor is limited to around 4000rpm even though I increased the rpm & Hz limit. I assume this is just test bench issues and that it will work better in the car. I wonder what is the actual rpm limit for the Prius gen 2 gearbox? Was planing on setting it to 8000rpm, so it's not more than a combustion engine. My plan is to run my BMW from the shaft normally connected to the Prius engine to a gearbox, haven't heard of anyone doing it this way, I will weld the plantery gears like people do when they are going to use both mg1 and mg2 to drive the car, and then it should work I figured.
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

Check out my build thread I have done similar with an rx400h gearbox, removing the reduction gears and diff in the process
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

Ev8 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:31 am Check out my build thread I have done similar with an rx400h gearbox, removing the reduction gears and diff in the process
Thanks for the input, it's an interesting read, I thought about the differential and gear that are inside the gearbox that I will not be using, I was assuming that the differential gear was needed to splash oil on the rest of the gears. I might need to cut my gearbox housing also, it probably will interfere with the steering column. Right now I am ready to match the prius gearbox with the bmw gearbox. I have the coupler build, welded the planetary gears, maybe I should start a thread for my project here on this forum. The space needed for the work is taken up by other things that I need to finish before I can continue on this electric project.
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

So by using the input shaft as an output you’ll be spinning the Prius gearbox backwards so the splay lubrication from the diff won’t work and the oil pump will need modifications to swap the inlet and outlet ports, I’ve use an electric pump to pump oil to the top of the case to replace to lost splash lubrication