Tesla sdu version 8

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Andymrowell

Tesla sdu version 8

Post by Andymrowell »

Hi everyone.
Just wondering if anyone can help that has a v8 board. I appear to be missing a few components, want to check if this is a revision or they've been missed at production.
They are c13 (next to IC4), c26 and c33. If they have escaped during pcb production can anyone clarify the specs of what is missing please.
I seem to have an overcurrent issue with this board and not sure if this is related.
I've done the checks regarding the igbts and they all read OK. From reading past posts I've checked the values of the current sensors and the comparator voltages change as expected when I change programmed max current values between 1200 and -1200.
Just wonder if c13 missing is the cause as it looks like ic4 is responsible for current stuff.
I am only guessing though and would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Andy
johu
Site Admin

Re: Tesla sdu version 8

Post by johu »

C26 and C33 are for the redundant watch crystal and thus not needed.
C13 is a bypass cap for the comparator and as such just mildly important. On "my" designs I haven't even designed one in so this wouldn't be a culprit either.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
nubster

Post by nubster »

I wonder... has anyone actually managed to get an SDU spinning with a V8 board yet?

I'm also getting a persistent OVERCURRENT error when all other tests seem to indicate my inverter is good.

On my V8 board, C13 is populated with a capacitor. I tested it with 12V power enabled, and the top of C13 reads 4.85V, and the bottom reads 0V. Would this indicate that the capacitor is bad or perhaps backward? Or is that expected because the neg terminal is grounded, so I'm basically measuring the potential diff between gnd and gnd?
nubster

Post by nubster »

nubster wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:46 am I wonder... has anyone actually managed to get an SDU spinning with a V8 board yet?
Just wanted to confirm that yes, I have managed to get an SDU spinning with a V8 board.

Apparently, something is wrong with my original inverter's power electronics, hence all of my issues. I got a new unit, and the same V8 board works fine with it. I still don't know what is wrong with my original inverter, as it seems to pass all of the various health tests (i.e. IGBT lightbulb & diode tests).