Adding regenerative braking to electric scooter

Dxtawise

Adding regenerative braking to electric scooter

Post by Dxtawise »

Hi everyone. Please is there a way, i could add some form of regenerative braking, on my electric scooter(this one does not have a pedal, but full electric).
The reason why i want this option, is to always have an onboard kind of charging mechanism, where an independent electric motor of some sort, can act as a generator for the 24V batteries powering the scooter.
Could anyone suggest any options, if this is not feasible?

Thanks
MattsAwesomeStuff

Re: Adding regenerative braking to electric scooter

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Dxtawise wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:03 amPlease is there a way, i could add some form of regenerative braking, on my electric scooter(this one does not have a pedal, but full electric).
If it uses a brushless DC motor, yes. If it's just a normal DC motor, no.

You can do some amount of electric braking but it won't be regenerative, and for the life of a brake pad, there's no point in bothering.
The reason why i want this option, is to always have an onboard kind of charging mechanism, where an independent electric motor of some sort, can act as a generator for the 24V batteries powering the scooter. Could anyone suggest any options, if this is not feasible?
What you are describing is a free energy device, which not only does not exist, it cannot exist.

Wherever you were getting free energy from to charge the batteries, you could just skip the batteries and power the scooter directly off of that magic. But alas, no magic.

If you had a brushless DC motor you could get a controller than allows regen, and then you could regen when going doing a hill, or, I dunno... you could hold the brakes down while you try to kick yourself forward and exhaust yourself? It'd be more efficient to just propel yourself by doing the kicking directly.

You get no more energy out of something than you put into it.