Batteryhookup Samsung 6kwh Module - what am I missing?

Topics concerning storage of renewable energy e.g. home battery systems
Scrappyjoe

Batteryhookup Samsung 6kwh Module - what am I missing?

Post by Scrappyjoe »

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the right section. I'm looking for batteries suitable for my EV conversion that I can ship to my home country. This is very hard - EV salvage seem to be no go. This listing on Batteryhookup looks like a good prospect -

1. Cheap
2. Good quality cells
3. Rated to 3C
4. Packaged as an actual product (I believe they were originally intended as stackable UPS modules) so I can actually put an import code on my customs document

https://batteryhookup.com/products/sams ... 8s-modules

What am I missing? Why are they so cheap? In my googling all I can find on the Samsung SDI cells is in this PDF.

http://www.samsungsdi.com/upload/ess_br ... 1609EN.pdf

Given the stated voltages and capacities I think they probably contain the model M2967 modules (page 5 of the Samsun PDF). If so, these were probably manufactured in 2016, but never cycled. Could that be the issue? Will these cells suddenly lose capacity because of sheer age?

Help me out here - I'm going to spend a lot of money buying these and want to know I've done my due diligence.
tomhanman

Re: Batteryhookup Samsung 6kwh Module - what am I missing?

Post by tomhanman »

Don't think this is quite the right place, but I don't care.

No pro here, so ignore anything I have to say.

They seem like very nice modules for stationary storage...

Almost as though they were designed for that!

70kg for 6kWh is very heavy. Just as a guide, Leaf 0.5kWh modules from the oldest 24kWh models weigh 3.8kg... so that makes 46kg for 6kWh. And Leaf modules are about the heaviest of all ev modules.

Then there's the 3C rating. That's actually quite low. Not a problem if you're not building a racing car, but 200A is only 80kW at 400V.

So, if weight isn't an issue, and 80kW is enough for your project, then I'd say they'll be great. Don't worry about age, if they're in good condition now, then that's all that counts as far as I'm aware.

Best regards, Tom.
Scrappyjoe

Post by Scrappyjoe »

Thanks, for the reply Tom, very helpful!

Alright, so 3C is quite low - that’s something I didn’t know.

With the weight, the product they are selling is 70kg and 6kwh, but it’s actually made of 3 x 2kw modules, and each of those modules is 17kg - so that’s 51kg apples to apples to the leaf modules. Still heavy, but in the ballpark.

I’m probably looking at using 8 of these (stripped and BMSed), so 48kwh able to supply 150kw to drive 2x outlander motors, which both peak at 70kw. So I think it fits the bill.

It certainly explains why they aren’t flying off the shelves - seems there are better options out there for domestic US EV converters. I guess I’m in a very weird position where this is actually preferable to a salvage EV pack because it has a shot of actually getting through customs to me.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Batteryhookup sells mostly to e-bike resellers and builders. The EV world is a bit heavy for them, probably why they're not flying.

It's a fantastic deal otherwise, and they're great people to work with.