Hybrid conversion of classic MB (GA8P75HZ)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
COD

Hybrid conversion of classic MB (GA8P75HZ)

Post by COD »

Dear forum :-)

I'm not experienced with EV/hybrid conversions, but experience has to come from somewhere. Therefor I've decided to plan a hybrid conversion of my MB w124 (OM606).

As far as I can read there are two ways, either the Lexus 450H gearbox or the BMW (ZF) GA8P75HZ. Since I'm not a fan of CVT, I think the BMW gearbox is the best way.
Are there anyone who has done such a conversion and can point me in the right direction regarding controller, wiring, project descriptions (websites) etc.?

Best regards
Carsten
marcexec

Re: Hybrid conversion of classic MB (GA8P75HZ)

Post by marcexec »

Moin Carsten,
I'd consider the GS/IS/RC300h gearbox (L210) as well, as it's more compact than the 450H one.
The Wiki (e.g. https://openinverter.org/wiki/I_want_a_ ... Conversion) is a good starting point.
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto
Jacobsmess

Re: Hybrid conversion of classic MB (GA8P75HZ)

Post by Jacobsmess »

It is also worth noting that the lexus option is much more developed and tested in conversions than the BMW and they are not a traditional CVT like those that use a belt of chain, and as such are free of the design issues experienced by these other CVTs