kitcar conversion

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
kerob7707

kitcar conversion

Post by kerob7707 »

Hi all,
I'm building a kitcar with good old petrol engine, but I'm looking ahead to convert it to electric. My idea is to use rear Mitsubishi PHEV motor + dif.
What else would I need? I wanted to make a kind of shop list...
1) rear inverter: this is controlled via CAN bus (I found the CAN messages around, 1 CAN message with torque request + 3-4 others and that's it?
2) charger: someone said this will mate with the inverter, any special CAN message for it?
3) DCDC: Does that go all together with charger and inverter? Is this needed to generate 13.5V? Does it need CAN messages?
4) VCU: is this the board that does all the CAN messages, torque requests, etc?
5) batteries: I'm mostly interested in this one! Which way to go? is it possible to dismantle a full battery pack into cells, rearrange and/or add more cells of same type, put a new BMS and have more power?

Summary: get rear axle + inverter + charger + DCDC + VCU to build a package, get a couple of batteries + rearrange + new BMS to have more KWh.
Or perhaps I'm completely lost :D

Thanks!
EV_Builder

Re: kitcar conversion

Post by EV_Builder »

Yes thats correct. Except it's not that easy but as a fellow kitcar builder we know that.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Pete9008

Re: kitcar conversion

Post by Pete9008 »

One thing to bear in mind is that the PHEV motor has a fixed ratio gearbox and so its top speed may be a bit limited. Not a problem if it's for road use but if you plan to use it on track at all it may be an issue?