Encoder Issues

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
ekohn04

Encoder Issues

Post by ekohn04 »

Thanks again to everyone who has been helping me get my motor bench tested. I'm very glad I decided to test at low voltage as it allowed me to visualize and understand how everything works.

The issue I'm currently having is almost certainly an encoder issue. I know the encoder is very sensitive, but I'm not exactly sure what needs to be modified about my setup in order to achieve smooth running. I have already flipped encoder wires A and B. It did not help. Here is my setup:

-MS3 Pro Harness
-BMW E46 Pedal
-Base Large Drive Unit
-No encoder plug, just crimp-connector pins

Here are my issues when pedal is depressed:
-Rhythmic knocking
-"Jerky" motor rotation
-After pedal is released, with no throttle input, inverter whining is still audible. This does not subside until I remove 12v from the fwd switch (put it in neutral).

Here is what I believe to be the solution:
-Order an encoder plug from ZeroEv. I'm in the US so it's about $40 total but they seem like the only place that stocks them.
-Replace the 4 encoder wires with CAT6 network cable (if anyone has tips on how to do this please let me know). I currently have pin18 hanging in the air because I can't find anyone who details what "encoder cable shield" means. I'm pretty sure I would need to shield my encoder cables, then attach pin 18 to the shielding, but I'm not sure how to properly do either of those. I am also under the impression that if I used CAT6 cable I would no longer need to use pin18 for anything.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on my issues, what you think about my solutions, and if there's anything else I can do to achieve smooth running. Please excuse the somewhat limited electrical knowledge, I'm 18 and in the learning process at the moment. Thanks!