Charging regime

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
FFMan

Charging regime

Post by FFMan »

When charging a pack (my 9kw 360v) , is there any best practice on rate of charge when the pack is either mostly discharged or approaching full charge. Should one start charge of a pack at a lower level. Bear in mind i'm only using a 16amp granny charger on my Outlander charge unit so fast charging it ain't !

Also, to what extent do people utilise temperature of the pack as a guide to charging. If the weather is cold, and the pack also, do you charge slower and would this warm the pack sufficiently to make an increase in rate sensibly. Likewise, if the pack is hot, should it be charged slowly or not at all until cooler ?

any feedback appreciated

thanks
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
johu
Site Admin

Re: Charging regime

Post by johu »

I've never seen OEMs derate at low SoC, merely it is where they run the highest currents. 3C or more. Not possible with granny ;)

Low temp charging depends on chemistry. LFP doesn't like below 0°C charging, NMC can be charged with about C/10 at -20°C (see my e-Soul charging video).

High temp limits are usually around 50°C, don't think you'll ever get there without rapid charging.

I don't think derating is very relevant with a granny cable.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
FFMan

Re: Charging regime

Post by FFMan »

johu wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:08 pm I've never seen OEMs derate at low SoC, merely it is where they run the highest currents. 3C or more. Not possible with granny ;)

Low temp charging depends on chemistry. LFP doesn't like below 0°C charging, NMC can be charged with about C/10 at -20°C (see my e-Soul charging video).

High temp limits are usually around 50°C, don't think you'll ever get there without rapid charging.

I don't think derating is very relevant with a granny cable.
thank you. seems like on granny i don't have much to worry about. If the weather gets real cold, i can garage the car overnight.

i did add at the end of my charging cycle 3 cycles of wait and top-up as i noticed charging to a set pack voltage (held for 1 minute), the batteries then dropped back. So i added a settle of 2 minutes, then a top up in 3 cycles before complete. I seem to end up with a stable pack voltage where i intended though the timing and cycle count has yet to be refined.
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs