TWO SDU`s Issues cant figure the hell out of them.

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
7yatna

TWO SDU`s Issues cant figure the hell out of them.

Post by 7yatna »

Hi Team,

I finally got my E Classic beetle going and driving for the past Month. what a thrill and insane performance.

i know I'm late on sharing pictures, designs ideas and performance specs.

i will make a detailed thread sharing with all the custom boards, controllers and work i did and of course things learned from the community.

Before i continue i really need to thank Tom De bree (Simp BMS), Johannes Huebner (Openinverer FIrmaware), Damien Maguire (SDU work) and charley (catphish) for his debug, parameters and chat.

each one of you somehow contributed to the work, fixes and guess what the problem :D

issue number one.

REGEN braking. ok it works but it only do regen braking when i put the brake pedal. of course the harder i push the brakes the stronger the regen.

i wanted to have a little regen when I'm not putting throttle. kinda mimicking the ICE way of driving.

this did start since 5.20 revision ( after charley made this new regen settings) at lease charley can you explain to me what is the new parameters added and how they interface ?

Issue Number TWO

cant get any signal for the AUX PWM. nothing is out and i need someone to explain the two configuration Paramaters.

i did get my Bopard Jan 2022 so i think it is V5 ? Johannes can confirm but the schematics is missing something ? i know it is pin 20 on the connector and it says Tachometer, the MCU is User_PWM_62 but it doesnt go anywhere.

from the Schematic the trace is Pink meaning isnt connected ?

the baords is as is factory no jumpers or anything.

Question here do i need to make a jumper to get something out ? and if anyone can fo through what the gain and offset means

i understand the gain of course but is it 0-3.3 uController level ? what is -100000, 0 , 100000 reflect on ? and offset what are they designed ?

and most importantly how to get the signal out .

BTW i`m a HW design engineer, i design schematics and boards, so i can find my way on HW wise just need to understand how the settings control the HW.

schematics posted on GitHub is missing parts or not updated.

the external connector has about 7 pins that aren't connected anywhere but i know they are because they work on my car.

mostly 0,5 v ( 4 Pins) 2 Tx, RX, and 1 USER PWM

thanks Again,
Karim
Hammer, Duct tape, WD-40 that`s it :D
1973 Beetle with SDU swap.
johu
Site Admin

Re: TWO SDU`s Issues cant figure the hell out of them.

Post by johu »

1) you must configure pot2min in a way that simulates the brake pedal being always pushed in a bit. So say when the brake pedal sensor delivers 900 digits when not pushed and 4000 digits when fully pushed, set pot2min to 0 or something. You can also set pot2max lower than the fully pushed value to receive full regen, say, half way.
2) Unfortunately user_pwm is not connected, you'd have to bodge in a small mosfet (2n7002) to use it
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

johu wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:29 am 1) you must configure pot2min in a way that simulates the brake pedal being always pushed in a bit. So say when the brake pedal sensor delivers 900 digits when not pushed and 4000 digits when fully pushed, set pot2min to 0 or something. You can also set pot2max lower than the fully pushed value to receive full regen, say, half way.
2) Unfortunately user_pwm is not connected, you'd have to bodge in a small mosfet (2n7002) to use it
Thank you Johannes, that was actually my thoughts.

for the regen i can reconfigure that and now it does makes sense.

for the Aux PWM, so Pin Number 20 is not connected at all on the Board?

or it is connected to the uController and i need to add the mosfet ? i can make a little expansion board outside.

the Motor is burried deep in the car and it will be pain to get the board out.

can you as well elaborate on how the settings affect the performance of the Aux PWM after the necessary HW is populate ?

what gain does ( Positive and negative difference )
and offset ( positive and negative)

last thing
what SW the files are made with ? i tried Altium and it is erroring out, eagle is having trouble too.

on another note if you would like me to work on HW ( Placing, researching something) i might be able to give a hand.

Thanks Johannes, i appreciate all your work and help for the community.
Karim
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

The board was designed with DesignSpark.
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

royhen99 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:52 pm The board was designed with DesignSpark.
Thanks Royhen, will download and open it up.

any idea about the other two questions ?
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

All I know is from looking at the schematic and board layout, I know nothing about the firmware. Pin 20 is not connected and the 0V and 5V, from your first question, are connected on internal planes.
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

yea I'm downloading Design spark and will see whats going on the schematic

thanks again