2002 VW Caddy Conversion

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
NIMMOEV

2002 VW Caddy Conversion

Post by NIMMOEV »

Hi Folks,

I'm converting a 2002 VW Caddy van using a Nissan E-NV200 motor and inverter
I thought it quite fitting that I convert the van using an electric van drivetrain
I started working on the van a couple of months ago & have been mostly refurbishing the front end in preparation for the conversion
I've been collecting parts over the last few months or so and now I’m about ready to start doing some of the conversion work
I will keep this thread updated as I make progress but the usual obstacles like time, money and a garage that is becoming extremely difficult to heat as the Scottish winter takes hold will probably make for fairly slow progress
Here’s a few pics of the van & the progress I’ve made so far

Cheers for having a look :D
Attachments
00001.jpg
00002.jpg
00003.jpg
00004.jpg
00005.jpg
00006.jpg
00007.jpg
00008.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Re: 2002 VW Caddy Conversion

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Great project :D
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

I like this! It will tick sooo many boxes for anyone looking to conv mk4/5 golfs, a3's, polo's, or ibiza's! Interested to see how close to the bulkhead the motor and box end up.
Good luck on the build!
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
NIMMOEV

Post by NIMMOEV »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:31 pm Great project :D
Cheers Kevin :)
NIMMOEV

Post by NIMMOEV »

Cookie6000 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:10 pm I like this! It will tick sooo many boxes for anyone looking to conv mk4/5 golfs, a3's, polo's, or ibiza's! Interested to see how close to the bulkhead the motor and box end up.
Good luck on the build!
Cheers Cookie600,
I'm going to get the subframes back in at the weekend & get the gearbox mounted so I can start measuring up for adaptor plate
I'll post a pic so you can see the location of the motor/gearbox in relation to the bulkhead
NIMMOEV

Post by NIMMOEV »

Managed to get a couple of hours in the garage tonight, got the subframes and the gearbox back in place and the motor roughly in position
Really happy with how its sitting, clearance is a bit tight between the rear of the motor and the collar of the driveshaft but it should be ok
It's a pity that the motor housing has the overhang at the top to support the inverter, would have been a simpler adaptor plate design if it was a flush face but it's not that big a deal
I'll hopefully get some time during the week to better align the motor and gearbox so I can get some measurements taken
Attachments
IMG_2123.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Wow, thats what I call a clean work space :) I still get greasy hands when working on Touran sometimes.
If you need some inspiration for motor mounting, heres how I did it: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32&start=40
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
NIMMOEV

Post by NIMMOEV »

johu wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:15 pm Wow, thats what I call a clean work space :) I still get greasy hands when working on Touran sometimes.

If you need some inspiration for motor mounting, heres how I did it: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32&start=40
After years of getting oily working on projects, it makes a nice change to be working on a clean (and green) project :mrgreen:

Thanks for the inspiration johu, I have been following your Touran build and had been considering your design as a way forward, I've now ordered some materials & will pretty much copy your design :evil:
NIMMOEV

Post by NIMMOEV »

Hi guys, apologies for the lack of updates, the refurbishment of the van is taking longer than anticipated so the EV side of things has been slow.
I should be finished the worst of the refurbishment work in the next couple of weeks then I will jump back on to the conversion work.
I did get the charge port done 👍
Attachments
40BBB229-54BA-48A4-AA43-75EA49AED806.jpeg
EA0872F1-96E9-4826-9437-7D03F2997D52.jpeg
jalovick

Post by jalovick »

NIMMOEV wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:56 pm Managed to get a couple of hours in the garage tonight, got the subframes and the gearbox back in place and the motor roughly in position
Really happy with how its sitting, clearance is a bit tight between the rear of the motor and the collar of the driveshaft but it should be ok
It's a pity that the motor housing has the overhang at the top to support the inverter, would have been a simpler adaptor plate design if it was a flush face but it's not that big a deal
I'll hopefully get some time during the week to better align the motor and gearbox so I can get some measurements taken
Had you ever considered installing the Nissan reduction gear and updating the driveshafts to fit? It does add some complexity, but you'd have a gearbox made for it.
NIMMOEV

Post by NIMMOEV »

I looked in to using the nissan gearbox with adapted driveshafts but it was cheaper going with an adaptor plate & coupler, if budget wasn't an issue I would have liked to go that route tho