Chevy Volt Gen 2 charger 24281923

Discussion about components from Ampera/Bolt and the PSA group which owns Opel these days
arber333

Re: Chevy Volt Gen 2 charger 24281923

Post by arber333 »

lukes wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:56 pm Hey, couple questions.
-Do I need a HV battery hooked up in order for charging to start? Was just going to stick some multimeter probes on the end of the cable.
-Is there any indication that the charger is on? I’m giving it 12v on pins 9 and 2 and it’s not drawing any current. Also, I don’t see any lights on inside or hear fan noise.
-Is the output voltage a constant 400v when it’s working? I see some posts claiming to charge at 360v and I didnt think you could control that.

TIA
Luke
Its been some time so bare with me...
P2 is GND
P4 is command PWM
P9 is logic 12V supply
P11 is 12V charger enable

You need to provide 100hz PWM at 25% to 90% duty on control pin. I think you can connect 2x light bulbs in series to HV output so you have a visual notice when it starts.
lukes

Post by lukes »

Thanks Arber, and yep, I have it all hooked up according to the pinouts posted a while back. I was wondering if there’s a visual indication that the charger is working. I’m getting no voltage output and the charger doesnt draw any current at 12V. As far as I can tell it’s not pulling any line voltage from the wall either. I verified there was 120v at the input connector… does it require 240vac? Do I need a HV battery connected in order for the charger to apply voltage to the output connector? Is the whole thing I’m missing is applying 12v to pin 11? I just thought I would have some indication that the charger was in an (on, yet idle) state.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

lukes wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:11 pm ...
Do I need a HV battery connected in order for the charger to apply voltage to the output connector? Is the whole thing I’m missing is applying 12v to pin 11? I just thought I would have some indication that the charger was in an (on, yet idle) state.

Once you connect pin 12 you will see some 0.6A draw.
I cant test 120Vac as i am in europe, but 230Vac works really well. There is a pic in the beginning of this thread showing AC schematic.
I think you need to connect charger to HV battery for it to work. It doesnt need a precharge as it has ptc current limiters inside.
When you apply pwm you will hear a relay and current will flow.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

arber333 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:21 am
Once you connect pin 12 you will see some 0.6A draw.
I cant test 120Vac as i am in europe, but 230Vac works really well. There is a pic in the beginning of this thread showing AC schematic.
I think you need to connect charger to HV battery for it to work. It doesnt need a precharge as it has ptc current limiters inside.
When you apply pwm you will hear a relay and current will flow.
Not an EE here, but are the PTC current limiters meant as protection or for normal use?

I wasn't expecting to not have to precharge, so mine is connected in parallel with my inverter. I was just re-using the same precharge and current sensing i already have on the ptrn.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

vwbrady wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:27 pm
Not an EE here, but are the PTC current limiters meant as protection or for normal use?

I wasn't expecting to not have to precharge, so mine is connected in parallel with my inverter. I was just re-using the same precharge and current sensing i already have on the ptrn.
What i know about PTCs they raise resistance when they heat up. So with larger current they dissipate energy as heat and resistance limits current further.
How you will then innitiate charging if you have DC contactor in the way? If you start inverter with charging be careful your car is not capable of wandering off...
You can directly connect charger to HV and there will only be a small spark. Of course if main transistors would be open full power would bypass PTC element which would not be good for connector. This is why i recommend you first connect HV and only then AC connector.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

It's NTC so when cold current builds up NTC heats up and starts conducting properly , but then device is precharged. When in use same thing current keeps resistance low..