Grid Tie Inverters - What's the difference? Topic is solved

Topics concerning inverters for on or off grid use. DIY and OEM.
Gregski

Grid Tie Inverters - What's the difference?

Post by Gregski »

please forgive me for a non EV related inquiry, but I know smarts lives here so I'm sure you can explain it to me

not sure if you heard of these solar panel grid tie inverters but they are very simple to install, you just connect some solar panels to this box and then plug the box into the wall outlet, and no batteries needed

my question is, what's the difference between the one that is 12 volts vs the one that is 24 volts, I mean if I was to tear them open what electronic component would be different

please talk to me like I'm 8 years old (I mean it)

Y&H 1000W Grid Tie Inverter Stackable MPPT Pure Sine Wave DC15-28V Solar Input AC90-140V Output for 12V Solar Panel
12v.png

Y&H 1000W Grid Tie Inverter Stackable MPPT Pure Sine Wave DC30-45V Solar Input AC90-140V Output for 24V 30V 36V PV Panel
24v.jpg
asking dumb questions under the guise of a "Newb" since 1972, cause somebody has to
johu
Site Admin

Re: Grid Tie Inverters - What's the difference?

Post by johu »

Inside it you will find an isolated DC-DC converter and the actual sine wave inverter. DC-DC converter works much like your laptop power supply only that it turns 12V into 250V or thereabouts. It has input capacitors which might be rated different (more capacity, less voltage for the 12V model), transistors may even be the same but they do need to switch twice the current at 12V, so may be stronger or more. And finally the transformer winding ratio will be like 1:20 for the 12V model and 1:10 for the 30V model.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

johu wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:30 pmInside it you will find an isolated DC-DC converter and the actual sine wave inverter. DC-DC converter works much like your laptop power supply only that it turns 12V into 250V or thereabouts. It has input capacitors which might be rated different (more capacity, less voltage for the 12V model), transistors may even be the same but they do need to switch twice the current at 12V, so may be stronger or more. And finally the transformer winding ratio will be like 1:20 for the 12V model and 1:10 for the 30V model.
wow you sure seem to know a lot about Inverters, ever thought about applying all you know to EVing?
asking dumb questions under the guise of a "Newb" since 1972, cause somebody has to
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Gregski wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:52 pm
johu wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:30 pmInside it you will find an isolated DC-DC converter and the actual sine wave inverter. DC-DC converter works much like your laptop power supply only that it turns 12V into 250V or thereabouts. It has input capacitors which might be rated different (more capacity, less voltage for the 12V model), transistors may even be the same but they do need to switch twice the current at 12V, so may be stronger or more. And finally the transformer winding ratio will be like 1:20 for the 12V model and 1:10 for the 30V model.
wow you sure seem to know a lot about Inverters, ever thought about applying all you know to EVing?
Well i can just comment that i dont know where would openinverter be without him ;).
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Gregski wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:52 pm wow you sure seem to know a lot about Inverters, ever thought about applying all you know to EVing?
EVs will never catch on, I heard
arber333 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:22 pm Well i can just comment that i dont know where would openinverter be without him ;).
And what would the world be without openinverter? A safer place, some say :P
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

just came across this video of a 1000 watt comparison to a 1300 watt inverter of the same brand, not exactly what I was trying to compare 12 volt vs 24 volt but the findings were surprising none the less

evMacGyver

Post by evMacGyver »

Are these Chinese "grid tied" solar inverters legal anywhere?

In Finland grid tie inverter requires VDE-AR-N-4105:2018, which is newest standard. Older VDE-AR-N-4105 2011-08 inverters are not allowed anymore for new installations. And VDE0126-1-1 has never been legal.

I would not install grid tied inverter without proofed islanding protection. Which means in case of grid fails or power cut on service etc, inverter needs to stop supplying the grid. Fail to do so might even kill electrician.

If someone knows if there is external certified islanding protection modules, I would be happy to hear!
arber333

Post by arber333 »

This is the reason i am separating my 5kW battery solar inverter from grid tied system. Former is supplying the house after the junction with the latter.
It means i had to remodel house fuses to single phase with corresponding GFI. I only left 3phase loads such as heat pump and evse connected in the usual way.

That way if grid drops the ball battery inverter will supply the house still no danger to electicians working on the grid.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

here we go again for [ahem] SCIENCE, The Greg went out and bought a cheap AMAZON 24 volt inverter so that he can have you guys hand hold him as he performs a stare-and-compare-ectomy of the two models

IMG_5902.JPG
IMG_5904.JPG
IMG_5906.JPG

I love how you can look at one AMAZON cheap inverter description and see 3 different sets of completely different arbitrary specs
IMG_5908.JPG