Tesla Large Drive Unit Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Re: Tesla Large Drive Unit Support Thread

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Have you tried to start up again since? Can you get any movement? Try clearing errors and starting up again.

Also, check your encoder settings. When I had mine set to single mode (instead of AB) I had a similar thing happen all of the time, where it would lose encoder starting off from a traffic light, buck, and die. Once I had pushed it out of the way and unplugged and replugged the encoder, I could get it to work again. The long term solution for me was setting the encoder properly, and that led me to discover that I needed to swap the encoder signal wires (the classic Tesla changing the wiring harness problem).
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

NEDRA MC/A-ED Record Holder
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Also, the newer firmware with Jon's changes gets rid of the slow speed overcurrent issues.

Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

canadasconvert wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:21 pm I am still having problems with the Inverter/Motor. Since my last post, I have made a few short trips around the bloc and everything was running well until the last trip. I had stopped at a stop sign and was slowly accelerating when the car bucked a couple of times and then no power. I had it towed home and am investigating what happened. I still have 348V of power and the Ign, Pre and Main Contactors are all working. The DC/DC converter is charging the battery so I have 13V at all times. UDC reads 1.48V with and without HV power. I also get the following errors:
[1]: WARN - PWMSTUCK
[65]: DERATE - CURRENT LIMIT
Take the orange HV cover off and check that you’re getting HV to the inverter busbars. Be careful.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards.
eGrandpa

Post by eGrandpa »

I have a Tesla Sport motor in a test-bench setup. I'm using an e-motorcycle hall effect throttle for now. My software version is 5.13R-SINE. I set it up a few months ago using four 12v lead acid batteries in series for approximately 48v plus a separate 12v battery to drive the relays and controller. All worked fine. I just switched the lead acid batteries with three Tesla Model S battery modules in series for approximately 72v. Again, the system runs great with more speed than earlier. The only problem is if I give it very rapid throttle the main contactor opens and cuts power to the motor. Turning the throttle slowly -- it works fine. Per directions, I set UDCSW and UDCLIM to zero. No other changes. Any suggestions?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

hello electric grandpa :) I don't think you set udclim to 0 because then it wouldn't start, rather "udcmin", right?
Opening the main contactor is the result of a detected over current. This should be less pronounced when the motor is inside a vehicle and can't just spin up freely. Raising ocurlim will move the trip point up but I don't recommend it at this stage. Tesla hardware is kind of brittle.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
eGrandpa

Post by eGrandpa »

Yes. You are correct. I typed the wrong parameter. Sounds like it is indeed working fine. I am running coolant through the motor and controller during the test. Thanks for the help.

For those interested to see a few other conversion projects you can look at my YouTube channel - e-Grandpa. Just having fun.
canadasconvert

Post by canadasconvert »

Further Update to CURRENT LIMIT issue. I pulled the motor and the Inverter cover and saw no issues. IGBT's look good - no bubbles. The two green & one red LEDs on the Inverter Board came on and there were no lights on any of the 3 inverter phases. The Ign., Pre-Charge and Main contactors closed as they should and I was showing full 348V on UDC. I was still getting the CURRENT LIMIT & PWM STUCK errors. I put it into FWD and it spun up at very low speed. DC Voltages on the individual Inverter Phases were A-342V, B-338V, C-344V.
P.S.Mangelsdorf - the Encoder settings are A/B and I swapped the two wires going to the Encoder at the beginning of the build.
Boxster EV - With the meter on AC, I tried measuring AC voltage between the three phases under the Orange cap but got zero. If there was a short, the motor shouldn't spin up. Am I wrong?
P.S.Mangelsdorf

When you spun up at a low speed, did it have an error and fail/shut down, or are you just seeing the error messages?

canadasconvert

Post by canadasconvert »

Just seeing the error message. I wasn't sure how to clear errors/faults. I'm just looking that up now.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

canadasconvert wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:42 pm Just seeing the error message. I wasn't sure how to clear errors/faults. I'm just looking that up now.
In the web interface there is a button to clear error history or clear error messages. I don't remember the exact phrasing.

Based on all that you've said, I think that once you clear the messages you should be ok. The failure during low acceleration starts is a known issue solved in later firmware (Jon Volk's solution, discussed here: https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopi ... 572#p16572 that was incorporated into the full firmware). I'd recommend updating sooner rather than later. I kept putting it off but its truly an improvement.

If your errors persist, there may be some other issue at play.

Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Boxster EV wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:28 am
canadasconvert wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:21 pm I am still having problems with the Inverter/Motor. Since my last post, I have made a few short trips around the bloc and everything was running well until the last trip. I had stopped at a stop sign and was slowly accelerating when the car bucked a couple of times and then no power. I had it towed home and am investigating what happened. I still have 348V of power and the Ign, Pre and Main Contactors are all working. The DC/DC converter is charging the battery so I have 13V at all times. UDC reads 1.48V with and without HV power. I also get the following errors:
[1]: WARN - PWMSTUCK
[65]: DERATE - CURRENT LIMIT
Take the orange HV cover off and check that you’re getting HV to the inverter busbars. Be careful.
canadasconvert wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:57 pm
Boxster EV - With the meter on AC, I tried measuring AC voltage between the three phases under the Orange cap but got zero. If there was a short, the motor shouldn't spin up. Am I wrong?
I was referring to the DC busbars.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

If you do the update of the firmware make sure HV is switched off fully. This especially applies to external controlled HV relais.