Using DC as supply for Tesla Onboard

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
magudaman

Using DC as supply for Tesla Onboard

Post by magudaman »

Has any attempted to power their Tesla charger from a high voltage DC source? Some switching topology cares less if fed high voltage DC as it usually passes through a rectification stage. I am still on kick to trying to combine 3 separate power sources to allow the charger to run a full capacity of 12KW. If I could feed the charger DC it would simplify needing a DC to AC inverter in that setup.
Tesla Onboard.jpg
catphish

Re: Using DC as supply for Tesla Onboard

Post by catphish »

What charger do you have? I have a 10kW Gen2 Tesla charger and this accepts 3 x 3.3kW AC, so your problem wouldn't be a problem at all.

It is my suspicion that the robust self testing in the Tesla OBCs would not be very happy with DC, but I can't say for sure.
magudaman

Re: Using DC as supply for Tesla Onboard

Post by magudaman »

catphish wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:26 pm What charger do you have? I have a 10kW Gen2 Tesla charger and this accepts 3 x 3.3kW AC, so your problem wouldn't be a problem at all.

It is my suspicion that the robust self testing in the Tesla OBCs would not be very happy with DC, but I can't say for sure.
I am running a Model 3 PCS in the USA. Watching through a brief teardown video I don't believe this unit would work on high voltage DC. It appears to leave the AC intact entering the PFC (bridgeless PFC). At that time it is boosted to high voltage DC. Nice design but likely not good for powering with DC. I will need to get spend some more time watching a couple more videos to determine if truly the topology, unless of course someone already knows here.

It does appear the PCS could be operated on three phases however I am also running into an issue with supply voltage being too low and running into the 48 amp limit. For example I have seen as low as 198vac coming in which means I can only extract around 9500 watts before hitting the 48a limit. If I can convert to DC or DC to AC and feed the car I provide boosted voltage that would allow the charger to use the full capacity of 12KW.