Damien not responding to emails - $1000 order placed a month ago

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
okashira

Damien not responding to emails - $1000 order placed a month ago

Post by okashira »

Hello,

I ordered one of evBMW's aka Damien's control board and charger control board a month ago.

He has not responded to my emails for months and I have not gotten any communicication.

When he was having trouble with blowing inverters, I offered him the opportunity to fly to seattle and use my Dyno I've built for small and large drive units, and he was excited about that.
Since then, I have placed an order and he's ignored all of my emails.

EDIT: Damien has replied and we are working it out.

Jon

Edisonmotors.net
Bigpie

Re: Damien not responding to emails - $1000 order placed a month ago

Post by Bigpie »

I placed an order for a Prius gen 3 board in July, I didn't get a reply to email, I'd assume he gets inundated with them, I just PM'd him on here and he then replied. All good.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
okashira

Post by okashira »

I don't know his username to PM him. Why should I have to resort to forums to try and track him down?
This is from the guy who offered to let him use our Dyno and house him in the meantime. WTH.
okashira

Post by okashira »

Ive sent a message via Paypal.

He has three emails Ive tracked down.
.... redacted, I took the liberty to remove clear text email addresses - johu ...

Ive now emailed all three. and messaged thru paypal.

Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Jack Bauer is his username. I still don't have my gen 3 board, but he's had issues with the PCB manufacturer. I'm in no rush. He's one man doing open source work, other suppliers are available for commercial products
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

okashira wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 pm I don't know his username to PM him. Why should I have to resort to forums to try and track him down?
I suspect most visitors to this forum could find Damien's username within 30 seconds. Your posts read like a personal attack and I don't understand why you didn't just claim a refund when you failed to get a response a month ago. Remember you have many options for obtaining boards including downloading the open source files and making boards yourself and buying a commercial solution from vendors like Zero EV.

Give the guy a break and take your hostility elsewhere :!:
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

That's strange, I ordered one interface board last week and he just notified me it's on the way.

A
okashira

Post by okashira »

Re: Kevin Sharpe

I won't be going anywhere and there is no hostility in my post.
I expect some sort of communication, which he has failed to do.
I don't see how offering to let him use our dyno and housing him in the USA in the process hostility.
I expect a refund or an update or some shipment, or ANYTHING.
okashira

Post by okashira »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:59 pm
okashira wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 pm I don't know his username to PM him. Why should I have to resort to forums to try and track him down?
I suspect most visitors to this forum could find Damien's username within 30 seconds. Your posts read like a personal attack and I don't understand why you didn't just claim a refund when you failed to get a response a month ago. Remember you have many options for obtaining boards including downloading the open source files and making boards yourself and buying a commercial solution from vendors like Zero EV.

Give the guy a break and take your hostility elsewhere :!:
I understand there are other options. I considered making the boards myself.
I, like Damien have alot of projects going on as well so I decided to order his built and tested boards, and wait for them. OTOH, when I get an order from my company, I don't ignore emails and hold people's money.
Now I'm ready to test them so I check on the status and now I'm back to square one, and have to figure out how to get a refund, and decide on a new path forward to sell my drive units.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just woke up to this situation this morning. Here is the text of my response just sent via paypal and email to the gentleman concerned :

Hi ,
I had not received any emails since your order. Also for some reason my webshop did not generate an order for you with your shipping information. This is what I use to print off shipping details etc. Thus your order has been overlooked. My apologies for this mistake. I'm one guy with a lot of things going on. As I have neither board in stock at the minute I can either offer you a refund or ask that you wait around two weeks for my next shipment from the pcb supplier.
all the best,
Damien

Since sending this response I have been back over my webshop which shows no order number for the payment received on July 9th. This is why the order was missed. So my fault regards not shipping the goods for which I once again apologise. Regarding email contact I have nothing since 10th from either of two email addresses used by the OP. Perhaps a spam issue or something like that. You have an offer of a refund on the table as of now. As mentioned I have neither board in stock so if you wish to continue the order I cannot ship straight away.

Now I want to be very clear about something. I don't hide anywhere or from anyone nor do I keep people's money. Were I a scammer I would go down in history as the world's most incompetent con man. I'm 10 years on youtube. Part of the trusted seller program on paypal. On almost every ev forum for years. On Instagram and Twitter, Github, Patreon.

So here I am. Damien J Maguire. County Wexford, Ireland. 42 years old. Two heat attacks under my belt. Still working 8 days a week to make ev conversions more accessible for the masses. Not gone into early retirement with the OP's 850 Euros.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Hi JB / Damien, you are doing a most wonderful thing helping us access reverse engineering stuff. :)

I am very thankful for your help. Sorry to read about the two heart attacks kind regards johnspark.
okashira

Post by okashira »

Thanks Damien for the reply and I hope for your recovery.
I replied to your email.
Everything is well for now, let's just keep the communication open.
Jon

I hope to get the board on the Dyno and we will test Hubner's control against Teslas's in terms of efficiency.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Exciting :) Looking forward to it
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

For the sake of transparency I am including on here my latest correspondence with the OP :

Hi,
By way of explanation regarding my lack of response to your emails I get on average 10 messages a day from people who want my help with various projects. I do have to filter that down to a managable level otherwise I would get nothing else done. I'm sure some genuine people get lost in that process and if that has included yourself then I can only once again apologise. May I ask did you receive an email from my webshop when you placed your order on July 9th? I didn't nor is there a record of your order in the backend which is the primary reason you did not receive your order. Obviously I would like to get to the bottom of this for more than one reason.

Now regarding the boards I am loath to promise as the shipment due is the first from a Chinese supplier. They were very smart at sending samples and I hope this contiunes with production orders. What I suggest we do is I will press them on a shipment date and if it slips I'll just issues a refund. Better that way for all concerned and we can avoid any further misunderstandings. If that is the case and assuming you just want a board for testing on the bench and not for a car build I would be happy to supply one free of charge on the condition you return it say within 30 days. Costs us both a few bucks in shipping.

all the best,
Damien
okashira

Post by okashira »

Hi Damien,

Thanks for the offer... I'll prob need the board for a little longer then 30 days, well, depending on delivery date and me getting the Dyno setup again and instrumented.

No I don't think I got an email from your web-shop, which may be why I emailed you after I placed the order....
Let's see how the shipment from your supplier goes ...

I ordered one board (I think ill get v4 now?)
and one Telsa charger controller gen2.

I also just got my hands on a GEN 1 Tesla charger, have you ever looked at one of those?
It looks interesting because it's labeled with a quite wide output voltage range of like 60V-450V. Heavy as hell though.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

arber333 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:13 pm That's strange, I ordered one interface board last week and he just notified me it's on the way.

A
Well thank you Damien! Yesterday i received the Prius interface board. Happy interfacing.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

To wrap this up I have issued a refund to the OP as my new PCB supplier (JLCPCB for those interested) have slipped on delivery dates and I'd rather avoid any further misunderstandings.

I am prepared to send once stock arrives with payment upon receipt or the offer of a loner board also still stands.
xp677

Post by xp677 »

If it's any use, I've had great experiences with Allpcb. They manage to get the orders processed and at my door in around 5 days. Their customer service and support is great as well. The sample board that should be on its way to you is from them, if you want to check the quality. It's their most basic/cheapest offering - I think it was $15 for 5 of those boards.